So Babcock needs to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyguy42

Jan 14, 2012
Ryan Hartman is the only third liner with a minor role that I can think of that fetched a first. And that was a brutal trade.
Well considering his career high is just over 30 points, i dont think that's a very good comparison for Kapanen - not that Kap has put up significantly better numbers, but Kap has shown he can be an effective player but has really yet to prove it consistently. Personally i feel just because someone has a lesser role on a team doesn't mean that stunts their value in the eyes of other teams (maybe they think they can fleece the team), especially if they think their skill set would compliment a current player on their roster. That being said, Kap has been very underwhelming and ineffective this season, about time he got bumped off of Matthews wing

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Well considering his career high is just over 30 points, i dont think that's a very good comparison for Kapanen - not that Kap has put up significantly better numbers, but Kap has shown he can be an effective player but has really yet to prove it consistently. Personally i feel just because someone has a lesser role on a team doesn't mean that stunts their value in the eyes of other teams (maybe they think they can fleece the team), especially if they think their skill set would compliment a current player on their roster. That being said, Kap has been very underwhelming and ineffective this season, about time he got bumped off of Matthews wing
I wasn't comparing Kap directly to Hartman. I know he's better. I was just telling the guy that thinks a third liner can fetch a first that there is next to no history of that happening.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I am actually convinced the team doesn't give a **** about what he has to say.

I know he is not a bad coach, but if you look at his first year with the leafs, that team competed at the very least. These kids have tuned him out.
That's what I see and feel.

Reactions: DanM

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Babs might be comin' around to the bright side...or maybe feeling the heat of fan scrutiny. He made a line-up change.Moore for Kappy. he got results,so one would think that he keeps that for a bit. Also,saw Matthews scoring on a pass in front from Marner. Maybe it was just happenstance that they were on the ice together,Jt was out there as well and I don't think it was a PP,so maybe Babs loaded up for a shift. Prolly just wishful thinking on my part! I'm an old dog and i have learned a few new things,so maybe Babs can as well!

Reactions: TopCheese

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017
I, like many others, was calling for his head after game 7 last season. However, we lost that series because of special teams. We were the better team 5 on 5.

I'm willing to give Babs this season with new assistant coaches to see what he can do. But if we have another disappointing playoff exit, that has to mean he's gone.

There's no excuse not to go deep in the playoffs with the kind of firepower we have. Two top 10 centres, two first line wingers, 3 top pairing defenceman, a top 10 goalie, and incredible depth in the bottom 6. If you can't get past the first round with this roster, then you're doing something wrong.

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019
Babs might be comin' around to the bright side...or maybe feeling the heat of fan scrutiny. He made a line-up change.Moore for Kappy. he got results,so one would think that he keeps that for a bit. Also,saw Matthews scoring on a pass in front from Marner. Maybe it was just happenstance that they were on the ice together,Jt was out there as well and I don't think it was a PP,so maybe Babs loaded up for a shift. Prolly just wishful thinking on my part! I'm an old dog and i have learned a few new things,so maybe Babs can as well!

It wouldnt hurt if babcock was a little quicker with his changes. hopefully moore can get more time with JT and mitch, that kid deserves to be rewarded.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, we thought so last year when Babs was forced to make changes... that generally lasted anywhere from a period to a game.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He best keep Moore on the Tavares line. Just instantaneous chemistry that never spawned at any time in 7 games with Kapanen. Another move Out of touch Babcock might want to consider is moving Johnsson down to the third line with Kerfoot and Kappy. Kappy and Johnsson have very good chemistry together and talk about a fast defensive line with punch if he does try it. I know it will work.

Mikheyev is a Left shot also. Natural lefty with what is looking like he might be somewhat under utilized on the third. He and Moore were going good since the beginning and Johnsson and Kappy were not. Do it babbycock ha

Last edited:

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Pull goalie with 2:30 left ... Matthews doesn't see the ice until 20 seconds left.

THIS is the highest paid coach in the league. I cannot even describe how I shake my head at this idiots decisions. I have to take a deep breath and walk away to relax, knowing this madness will eventually end with him getting fired ... I just hope it's sooner rather than later

Reactions: ToMaLe

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If Babcock is staying .. Dubas has to get a 1B backup. I hope they see that. I have my doubts though.
Getting a good backup is hard though. Most of them are pretty bad, and even those that are just kind of bad usually cost more than we can afford.

It did hurt a bit to see a good backup like Casey DeSmith pass through waivers while we were sitting there with Hutchinson.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
There is absolutely no excuse for Matthews and Marner to not play the final 2:00 of the game with the goalie pulled.

Is the fear that the 21 and 22 year olds will be overly tired after 20 and 19 minutes of ice time respectively?
Well then, the NHL has a built-in break for that, some sort of time out where the players can take a breather.

Of all the things that one can look at and grimace, the bench management of some of the best offensive players in the league is far and away the most infuriating and puzzling.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I'm so tired of complaining about Babcock because he's had the same problems his entire tenure here, of course I still end up doing it because every PGT loss is flooded with people laughing at the idea of holding him accountable. This team is underachieving, they have been for a long time.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
It wouldnt hurt if babcock was a little quicker with his changes. hopefully moore can get more time with JT and mitch, that kid deserves to be rewarded.
Well.we all know it won't last...Hyman could come back and suck for 20 games ,but would still get maximum ice time under Babs.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Wrong coach for this team. Period.

His line usage is the same for 90s Detroit, modern Leafs and even the same as a high school team - I dare say even a peewee team.

Hes a fraud. He has ONLY one way to coach and its becoming clearer and clearer its so basic and fumdamentally elementary.

Hes a good coach if your a bunch of miscast talentless scrubs and have no discipline.

But when you have the highest paid team with elite talent on every line - you have to know how to adjust and create plays that specifically counter a particular team.

90% of people here noticed our basic play since January last season. It hasnt changed since and 4/5ths of our roster has changed. 2/3 coaches have changed.

We will be a sub 500 hockey club come Saturday.

We need changes FAST

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Im rather puzzled why Hutch didn't start against Minny....
Puzzled? babs is the answer! I didn't think the Caps looked very good tonite.I thought the Leafs dominated most of the game. Called up Gravel,but didn't play him when fresh legs might of helped...same with Spezza. Didn't get Auston or Mitch out at the end of the game...what the hell is that? babs is a jack-ass!

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
There is absolutely no excuse for Matthews and Marner to not play the final 2:00 of the game with the goalie pulled.

Is the fear that the 21 and 22 year olds will be overly tired after 20 and 19 minutes of ice time respectively?
Well then, the NHL has a built-in break for that, some sort of time out where the players can take a breather.

Of all the things that one can look at and grimace, the bench management of some of the best offensive players in the league is far and away the most infuriating and puzzling.

Babock hates how players like Marner and Matthews can work so little and have big results.

He loves a Hyman, and a Marleau and Brown. Working so hard for every bit.

This coach misses the point entirely.
He doesnt understand talent.
He also doesnt want to.

Guy probably lost a spot on a AHL roster during his prime to a Matthews, Nylander, Marner type.

Meh practices, shows up late and scores highlight reels --- And theres Babs, 2 hours early for every practice, trying extra hard, cleaning everyones skates, getting the gatorade jugs and blocking shots left and right --- still cant make the team.

Here we are today - Gud Pros...
Hymans Good eh

Hey Matthews and Marner have a seat we are down by a goal

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Wrong coach for this team. Period.

His line usage is the same for 90s Detroit, modern Leafs and even the same as a high school team - I dare say even a peewee team.

Hes a fraud. He has ONLY one way to coach and its becoming clearer and clearer its so basic and fumdamentally elementary.

Hes a good coach if your a bunch of miscast talentless scrubs and have no discipline.

But when you have the highest paid team with elite talent on every line - you have to know how to adjust and create plays that specifically counter a particular team.

90% of people here noticed our basic play since January last season. It hasnt changed since and 4/5ths of our roster has changed. 2/3 coaches have changed.

We will be a sub 500 hockey club come Saturday.

We need changes FAST
He values grinders and 'work ethic',because he can tell those guys something...He doesn't know what to do with talented players. He has no strategy for them.If they don't score ,he goes back to the grinders. Auston/Mitch not being on the ice at the end is just ridiculous....who does that?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Kapanen and Kerfoot were caught out there on the wrong shift and Washington didn't get it out for a change to occur.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Kapanen and Kerfoot were caught out there on the wrong shift and Washington didn't get it out for a change to occur.
Shift.
Who puts the players on the ice after a goal?

There are just over 2 minutes to play, you're down by 1 goal. You have one of the premiere playmakers in the league and likely the second or third best goalscorer in the league on your team. They're both 22 years old or younger, they average just around 20 minutes a game on the year, they don't play for nearly 72 hours after this game and you have a time-out left to use.

What shift are Kerfoot, Kapanen taking?

We're not talking about Jumbo Joe being asked to play 28 minutes in a given night. Fatigue is an abomination of an excuse for them remaining on the bench.

Reactions: klmdg and weems

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Babock hates how players like Marner and Matthews can work so little and have big results.

He loves a Hyman, and a Marleau and Brown. Working so hard for every bit.

This coach misses the point entirely.
He doesnt understand talent.
He also doesnt want to.

I think the problem here is the talent doesn't understand how to manage a 60 minute game. In order to successfully play a game with a close score, you need to play a lot of safe minutes. Our guys don't do that at all, hence the first period in the TB game, or blowing a 4-1 lead vs Montreal, or the second period in Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad