So Babcock needs to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I don't know what other job Babs could keep with his level of stubbornness and seemingly unwillingness to change.

I could see him working at Tims and just giving everyone double doubles no matter what they ask for because it's what he prefers.

I could see him in year 2008 running a Blockbuster branch and scoffing with his shit eating grin about Netflix.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
because when we continue to lose with the team he built who else going to be blamed? dubas built it. babcock works with what he has.

Babcock has his style that many don't like, but Dubas is the foundation for the failure.

But Babcock isn't as disliked as it appears on here. Most on here are just loud. I read there's going to be fire babcock chants in the arena. Those who go to games aren't vilifying babcock...that's for the kids on the internet.

There are some very constructive and logical arguments against Babcock as well though.

I have to disagree that Leafs will suck if Babcock is fired.

There's only a handful of teams as talented as our roster. We need a massive keener coach who dreams plays in his sleep and understands the modern game.

We play ugly hockey.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
There are some very constructive and logical arguments against Babcock as well though.

I have to disagree that Leafs will suck if Babcock is fired.

There's only a handful of teams as talented as our roster. We need a massive keener coach who dreams plays in his sleep and understands the modern game.

We play ugly hockey.

there definitely is some logical arguments against Babcock - yes.

But the thought that a marlies junior coach is going save our child superstars is well...i'd like to see it.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
there definitely is some logical arguments against Babcock - yes.

But the thought that a marlies junior coach is going save our child superstars is well...i'd like to see it.

Where do you think NHL coaches come from exactly, a Petri dish in the GMs office ? Babcock came from the AHL himself with a far less stellar record than Keefe.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
As others have said you hate to see it. I can only fathom that Babcock is trying to get JT & Marner going which is why Matthews is where he is. He definitely deserves more, but Babcock has his reasons as always.

We'll see how this continues over the next 6 games.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If Babcock wants to win, he needs to turn Johnsson, Kapanen, Petan, Spezza, Timashov, Shore.... into gritty forwards that can win board battles and flex their physical play into the face of the opposition.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
because when we continue to lose with the team he built who else going to be blamed? dubas built it. babcock works with what he has.

Babcock has his style that many don't like, but Dubas is the foundation for the failure.

But Babcock isn't as disliked as it appears on here. Most on here are just loud. I read there's going to be fire babcock chants in the arena. Those who go to games aren't vilifying babcock...that's for the kids on the internet.

I think in the NHL dubas has zero credibility and no respect. Also, apart from the dubas fans here nobody thinks that dubas is some whizkid including rational hockey fans who aren't leafs fans but also not leafs haters.

• Caps won the cup playing solid defensively -> Trotz hockey; and they had players who commited to play defense. Hell Ovi was sliding blocking shots. NYI swept the pens playing solid defensive hockey last season too. Dubas fans kept making loud noises about Lou and what not but facts are facts

• Blues played solid hockey defensively and had players who committed to team defense

• When Pens won the cups except for that one series where MAF stood on his head against the cap; pens were very stingy defensively; all the players were back checking like crazy; hell pens won the cup with Hainsey as one of their top4 D-man

Leafs soft defense is entirely on dubas.

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Apparently Babcock’s contract is ridiculously front-loaded, so he’s already received most of his money.

Is it possible that he’s trying to get fired? It looks like borderline sabotage out there.

Reactions: saffronleaf

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think in the NHL dubas has zero credibility and no respect. Also, apart from the dubas fans here nobody thinks that dubas is some whizkid including rational hockey fans who aren't leafs fans but also not leafs haters.

• Caps won the cup playing solid defensively -> Trotz hockey; and they had players who commited to play defense. Hell Ovi was sliding blocking shots. NYI swept the pens playing solid defensive hockey last season too. Dubas fans kept making loud noises about Lou and what not but facts are facts

• Blues played solid hockey defensively and had players who committed to team defense

• When Pens won the cups except for that one series where MAF stood on his head against the cap; pens were very stingy defensively; all the players were back checking like crazy; hell pens won the cup with Hainsey as one of their top4 D-man

Leafs soft defense is entirely on dubas.

Why do people think Dubas is a whiz kid?

I know plenty of ppl in their 30s making six figures, none are considered whiz kids.

The older generations can barely use a computer.

This is the new norm....everywhere.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I was going to respond by making fun of old people, but then I realized:

- I'm not very young myself; and

- Ageism is a pathetic way of making your point.

No, ageism is real. Just like every kid on here likes to use terms like dinosaur, old man yelling at clouds, etc, etc, etc. Nothing would make me happier if every member was forced to add their real age, then you could filter threads, polls, etc by age group.

Ageism is real, and it will always be real. That is why government polls, or other methods of collecting data, asks your age (at least within a bracket). on HF, if you could filter comments by those under age 35 and those over, you'd find drastic changes in opinion.

Ageism will never go away.

The youth will always know better, and the aged will always resist change. That will never change.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
No, ageism is real. Just like every kid on here likes to use terms like dinosaur, old man yelling at clouds, etc, etc, etc. Nothing would make me happier if every member was forced to add their real age, then you could filter threads, polls, etc by age group.

Ageism is real, and it will always be real. That is why government polls, or other methods of collecting data, asks your age (at least within a bracket). on HF, if you could filter comments by those under age 35 and those over, you'd find drastic changes in opinion.

The youth will always know better, and the aged will always resist change. That will never change.

Racism isn't going away but don't expect people to take racists seriously.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I apologize that this triggered you, (meant sincerely), but you are incorrect, and would have no understanding of my thought process, or usage of terminology.

The term bipolar stems from electricity, (of a transistor or other device) using both positive and negative charge carriers. That it has since been used to describe a mental illness, does not detract from it's original meaning, nor should it prevent it's original meaning from being used. I can't think of a term to better describe this fan base, than one that goes from positive, to negative charges (and quickly I might add).

-------------------------------------------------

On another note...

This has been our main issue so far... and is the same every year... sometimes we get by without struggling due to it. Hopefully Andy tightens up his game soon.

then you know what, I wholeheatedly apologise. truly. I do have some family and friends who suffer from bipolar depression and that (and all other illnesses used to describe things) does bother me a lot especially because the english language is so vast i do feel we can articulate ourselves without having to use something that people really struggle with. but i shouldn't have doubled down on it and been a cow to you, so i do hope you accept my apology (and i'm doing it publicly because i chastised you publicly, so it's fair).

and I learned something new. because I didn't know that. so thanks for that teaching moment as well.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Plenty of older people are eager to adapt and better themselves. The problem is people who are stuck in the "this is the way it's always been done" mentality. There is zero problem calling people like that a dinosaur regardless of how old they are. The concept of testing and improving doesn't care how old an idea is, it just cares about how well it works.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The underlying problem.with shandy approach in 2014-2015 years of building his management dream team is that a lot of things happened in a peculiar order.

Babcock was the big named coach -they give him a huge public spectacle when he was signed and make him.the highest paid coach in the planet and basically prevented the next GM of the team.feom being able to being in "his guy"and the size of the contract makes it difficult to be fired (theres no denying office politics are a huge aspect of any NHL front office).

Abstractly speaking Babcock IS a good coach. He has well earned his reputation-but it's becoming increasingly more and more clear hes the WRONG fit for thos team. AMD ultimately it's way easier for a GM to just bring in a coach who shares his vision than to try and rebuild the entire roster to fit the needs of one guy.

Babcock clearly has trouble communicating with these guys, has disagreements with Dubas over the roster, and is way too stubborn. In particular his lifetime distribution is just head scratching

Entirely possible and why one would assume Keefe would get the call. Would be interesting to see how he functions in the bigs with the same roster.

Reactions: saffronleaf

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Zero chance Babcock is fired until another first round exit (or missing playoffs)
Even a second round exit may get him canned.

We should be passed winning around as an achievement. This team should have won a round before now.

5 years and no conference finals min is a disappointment.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I don't compare racism and ageism (I think that is badly downplaying racism), but you are welcome to your own thoughts.

I'm not young by your own metrics. But argue the merits instead of sarcastic assumptions about people's ages. But yea, to each their own if ageism is what you want to lean into go nuts.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
When a team with this much talent has a .500 regular season record since the start of December last season (That's an 82 point pace) you've got a serious problem

I can't say I'm particularly happy with the coaching or front office, neither area seems to know what the problem is, has any idea how to fix it and is mixed in with some rank incompetence

I can't say I find anybody tied up with the team (including the players) particularly likeable so if people need to be let go, so be it

hell i we could have all my favourite leafs players on the team and I'd still say let them go.

Crest.

Nameplate.

always always forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad