So Babcock needs to go... (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Babcock's inability to get the team ready cost us today. He was forced to open it up in the 2nd and 3rd, and we play terrific. Almost like this outplayed defensive game plan wasn't working?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON

Hallelujah. And you wonder why the team seemed so much more engaged and dialled in the third period - they were actually allowed to play hockey the way they know how to. This team isn't going to grind out 1-0 wins day in and day out; the more they play like that, the less success they'll have, and the less driven they'll be. Let the guys have some ****ing fun and torch teams offensively

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
This year's edition of the team so far reminds me of the Kessel era leafs. AKA Muskokafiveanitis

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
hmmm, that team only has one cup. So, either he sucks or the team sucks. you cannot have both:sarcasm:
I don't think he is a bad coach, just that he is not the right coach for this leafs

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Send down Spezza and Shore. We need energetic legs in Petan.

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Kapanen
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Moore
Timashov - Gauthier - Petan

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
So the team plays pretty good hockey when we're down by a couple goals and are forced to open things up by letting our defensemen join the rush and letting the forwards play a more high-risk style.

What does wondercoach take from this?
Don't fall behind!

Duh!

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I’ve defended him in the past but he’s definitely not the right coach for this team anymore. He’s lost the players and his system doesn’t work for this team. He’s stuck in his ways and doesn’t make the obvious choices.

I get your goalie can’t play ever back to back but when your in the very fringe state we are in and need these points, starter always gets the first game hasn’t worked even once and he keeps going back to it, either double start Freddy or try mixing it up. Maybe a tired team may benefit from Freddy in net and a fresh team can lift Hutchinson to his first win. Regardless it boggles me that it hasn’t even once been tried with all straight loses on the board.

plus a handful of in game adjustments. Mainly the ones that bother me is that he prefers a soft game and that he makes players play a different way then they like. It’s almost like he makes them play the opposite of how they would be successful. Barrie declined hard here and Muzzin got soft

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Babcock on the Matthews line: "They were dominant ... I played them way too much, but they were dominant & they played well"

They were dominant. Better get them off the ice I guess?

I can’t even with this guy anymore

giphy.gif

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah I saw that comment earlier, and it doesn't make any sense.
Here is Ian Tulloch on the coaching in this game.

Coaching Staff — Let’s look at both sides of the argument here. On the one hand, it isn’t Babcock’s fault Hutchinson gave up four goals in the first period. On the other hand, the fact that the Leafs look way better when they play high-event hockey is indicative of the bigger problem with the team’s conservative style. Rielly and Barrie looked terrible until the team fell behind by three goals, which gave them the freedom to be more aggressive in transition, jump up in the rush and pinch offensively. Those two should be playing like that all the time. They’re never going to be great defensively at this point, so you might as well take advantage of the incredible things they can do offensively.
I also didn’t love Matthews and Nylander setting up on their strong sides off of faceoff wins on the power play — thought they looked much better with the one-time option — but they scored a nice goal later in the game from that formation, so maybe it isn’t a huge deal. Personally, I’d love to see Nylander let a few one-timers go from the left circle. Unlike Marner, he can actually rip it from there. I’d also like to see Barrie on the top power-play unit — Rielly’s weak-point shots aren’t scaring anyone — but again, I doubt we see any change there. Babcock’s stubbornness is extremely frustrating when it comes to stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad