So Babcock needs to go... (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
This year was my last straw for Babcock. I was cautiously optimistic about Babcock this year I don't know why though? Has to be some blind faith as a Leafs fan and I think the new assistants were promising but even that looks like shit atm.

I thought Barrie would be such a great tool for him but he hasn't really used him effectively.

We're pretty much at 20-game mark and I am confident in saying Babcock hasn't learned or adapted to his ways. He's still the same, stubborn coach who picks out favourites too early. Chases matchups and gets in his own way, to be frank.

He hasn't instituted any sort of system in 3 years that can be translated annually. Every new season it seems like an adventure for the team to play in their own zone. With all this time how can their not be any fundamentals down? I won't accept roster turnover as an excuse.

He can't get through to any of the core guys, except maybe JT. He is still forcing the team to play his way. Outscoring teams is no longer accepted because they can't keep it out of their net.

What's his solution? Nip all the offense in the bud and focus on playing like the '95 Devils while solely relying on your 30 year old goalie to be perfect every start. Why? Because it's beautiful.

Atleast Devils had Stevens who laid brutal punishment constantly, and Nieds who knew what to do in the d-zone and o-zone.

Dubas needs to pack the zookeeper's bags. Enough already.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
i almost found it amusing when he called for a timeout at 0-3 (vs blackhawks)
he never calls for a timeout but lookin at his bodylanguage (i dunno what i should do i have no idea) probably its a good idea
not helping the team if he has no new ideas
good thing Matthews and Nylander took over the game
and babcock had to bitch about them playin too much
i cant even with this guy

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Matthews, Nylander, and Johnsson play 20 minutes and combined get 18 shots in this game... 18!! They shot just 16% and still had 3 goals..

They olay what Tavares and Marner usually get to, dominate, and then Babcock says they played too much.

They played exactly what they should have when they were getting their teeth kicked in early, maybe even a bit too little considering how they dominated.

He really hates Nylander and Matthews if he sees a performance like this and comes away with any thought other than maybe I should play these guys MORE often.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He really hates Nylander and Matthews if he sees a performance like this and comes away with any thought other than maybe I should play these guys MORE often.
He hate to let go of the gameplan he live and die by. He cant grasp that as long as the team dont get to spread out, offence can be a realy good defence. This team should master offence and add defence, not the other way around. Hell will freeze over before we master D. But we can master offence and make up for the lack of d while improving on D in the process. I know most coaches want to build around D, but you got use the players best traits, and for leafs players thats creativity and offence.

Babcock has shown glimpses of change but not enough.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Matthews, Nylander, and Johnsson play 20 minutes and combined get 18 shots in this game... 18!! They shot just 16% and still had 3 goals..

They olay what Tavares and Marner usually get to, dominate, and then Babcock says they played too much.

They played exactly what they should have when they were getting their teeth kicked in early, maybe even a bit too little considering how they dominated.

I dont think Babcock will have a choice
Those young guys are paid and need to play 20 minutes a night
And Freddie cant have have more than 2 games off either while marner is out
The proof was all over last nights game
The best thing for leafs fan is for Babcock to coach like hes trying to keep his job
And why are the leafs so in love with gauthier and timoshov and shore
It's time for some other marlies to get a chance
Including 1 of the goalies
This team could be under 500 in 4 weeks

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Babcock on the Matthews line: "They were dominant ... I played them way too much, but they were dominant & they played well"

They were dominant. Better get them off the ice I guess?

I can’t even with this guy anymore

LMAO. I went to bed right after the game and missed this gem. File this under the category of "you can't make this shit up".

Monsieur Dubas, how much longer must we suffer with this dinosaur behind the bench? Haven't we suffered enough already? I've already been suffering longer than you've been alive, please get rid of this guy. Please!!

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
LMAO. I went to bed right after the game and missed this gem. File this under the category of "you can't make this **** up".

Monsieur Dubas, how much longer must we suffer with this dinosaur behind the bench? Haven't we suffered enough already? I've already been suffering longer than you've been alive, please get rid of this guy. Please!!
Keefe just got back from a 7 game road trip, I'm sure he'd be willing to go on another one!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He can make moves he's just ignoring the clear weakness at backup goalie.

Before anyone says "no money" his job is to find the money.

So find it and fix it.
Don't think it's that easy..........they are writing cheques for 13M on LTIR also. No other GM's are going to help him to clear cap space, to get another goalie.....he has backed himself into a corner, unless he trades Me-lander?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Babcock on the Matthews line: "They were dominant ... I played them way too much, but they were dominant & they played well"

They were dominant. Better get them off the ice I guess?

I can’t even with this guy anymore
There is likely more context to that statement.
Team scientists probably have a minutes per game number that they feel is optimal to get them through the season and he exceeded it.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
We don’t need to trade Hutch, he can be buried. We need to trade Barrie. That would give us a full roster and the potential to upgrade our backup spot. Sorry folks, RHD didn’t pan out, maybe Holl is the guy?

Sandin (894k)
Woll (800k)
Agostino (737k)
Petan (775k)

for

Barrie (2.75M)
Hutchinson (700k)

And we’d still be saving 400k to look for a potential backup as we don’t want Woll up this year ideally.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We don’t need to trade Hutch, he can be buried. We need to trade Barrie. That would give us a full roster and the potential to upgrade our backup spot. Sorry folks, RHD didn’t pan out, maybe Holl is the guy?

Sandin (894k)
Woll (800k)
Agostino (737k)
Petan (775k)

for

Barrie (2.75M)
Hutchinson (700k)

And we’d still be saving 400k to look for a potential backup as we don’t want Woll up this year ideally.

If Dubas was smart. He would just fire Babcock and try and get Barrie playing well under a new coach and then get a 1st for him. Grab a backup as well.

The team puts in 20mins of effort a night, it's a joke. Look at the raps. Lazy vs Winning DNA

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Team scientists probably have a minutes per game number that they feel is optimal to get them through the season and he exceeded it.
I'm sure there is some sports science stat that says ~18mins a night is optimal for maximum recovery but when you are behind 1 goal with 2 days off before the next game, who cares? These aren't older vets we're talking about and right now they need all the points they can get.

I'm hoping he's gone by the new year and they have a coach that comes in and plays to the Leafs strengths

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Please explain to us the following:
1) What is wrong with Babcock's System? It does not play to teams strengths
2) How can Babcock make his players play "smarter"? By changing the system to play to his teams strengths
3) Why is it bad for a coach to demand their players to work their asses off?
It is fine and Babs leads by example in this area

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm sure there is some sports science stat that says ~18mins a night is optimal for maximum recovery but when you are behind 1 goal with 2 days off before the next game, who cares? These aren't older vets we're talking about and right now they need all the points they can get.

I'm hoping he's gone by the new year and they have a coach that comes in and plays to the Leafs strengths

It's funny... When lifting you go until you start to feel the pain, thats when you know you're starting to work. I think sports science is making sure these guys are super cozy and not achey wakey when the go homey woe me

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Not following, he did play them extra when down.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Don't think it's that easy..........they are writing cheques for 13M on LTIR also. No other GM's are going to help him to clear cap space, to get another goalie.....he has backed himself into a corner, unless he trades Me-lander?
Get McBackup for a 7th and go with 20 men. Problem solved.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

While I get the sports science argument, but Keefe has no issue playing Sandin and Lilly nearly half the game, and they have a sports science group too.

Last edited:

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Not following, he did play them extra when down.
You posted this
I'm sure the sports science staff probably have a number in mind as far as minutes played in order for said player to be able to recover properly in time for the next game but that number needs to go out the window when you have multiple days rest following a game.

Babcock seems to like minimizing minutes played in the regular season to "save" it for the playoffs and then come playoffs decides to throw all that out the window.

I don't think he is a good fit for this team anymore and would rather see the Leafs move on from him.

Reactions: ToMaLe and ACC1224

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

Sure thing. Team science doesn’t apply to Rielly playing 26-30 minutes a night in a more physically demanding position?

Don’t kid yourself, this is Babcock getting in his own way again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad