OT: Snow Storm!!!!

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Barely a sprinkle compared to what I've experienced in central Siberia while visiting extended family on my mother's side back in 2010.

During the 10 days of my stay it snowed non-stop almost throughout. 4-6 feet of fresh snow each day. The difference was the dry continental air coupled with average temperatures of below -30C. Normal for that part of the world in winter. What that does is that it makes the snow extremely fluffy and light. It's like walking in powder. So even if the snow accumulation is almost to the roof of your house, you can still easily push the front door open and go outside.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Barely a sprinkle compared to what I've experienced in central Siberia while visiting extended family on my mother's side back in 2010.

During the 10 days of my stay it snowed non-stop almost throughout. 4-6 feet of fresh snow each day. The difference was the dry continental air coupled with average temperatures of below -30C. Normal for that part of the world in winter. What that does is that it makes the snow extremely fluffy and light. It's like walking in powder. So even if the snow accumulation is almost to the roof of your house, you can still easily push the front door open and go outside.
How do you shovel 30 feet of fluffy stuff away?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
How do you shovel 30 feet of fluffy stuff away?
We're talking about a village here. You only do enough to make pathways for you to get to the animal shed, the well, wood storage, etc. You don't do any more than that.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Do they offer all inclusive?:biglaugh:
They do, but there are a few things you need to know before hopping on a plane.

The winter all-you-can-eat buffet only includes thawed pork products, pickled cabbage and vodka.

Also, in order to get there during the winter months you'll either have to rent a dog sled or a snowmobile (if you feel like splurging).

EDIT: Oh, and LTE might be spotty. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf and Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Montreal highways are okay this morning. Took a drive from the West Island to Westmount around 30 minutes ago -- everyone's driving a bit slower, but normally. Side streets are still a bit slippery and packed with snow on the sides, making it difficult to park. Watch out for No Parking signs as clearing starts!

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
This was St. John’s during the storm we had 2 weeks ago.

Imo, we get the worst part of the weather systems, yesterday it snowed, turned to ice pellets, turned to freezing rain, turned to rain and then stopped raining and turned to ice.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
CBC said:
Quebec's brief reprieve from winter weather comes to an end Wednesday night, as heavy snowfall and strong winds are expected.

Environment Canada has issued winter storm and snowfall warnings across Quebec, and the agency advises the public to avoid all non-essential travel until conditions improve.

Hardest hit will be the Quebec City area, where winds are expected to gust up to 90 kilometres per hour and 35 to 45 centimetres of snow is predicted to fall.

In Montreal, up to 35 cm of snow is predicted.

C'mon, let's go. Let's make it 50.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Here in Sorel, we should get 35 starting this afternoon and ending tomorrow night, but the way its spread out, I think the school board will go ahead and open up for the day hence I get no day off from work.

10 today
15 tomorrow morning
10 tomorrow afternoon

Now, it will be extremely dangerous when I go home at 3:30PM, but the school board usually looks outside in the morning around 6AM and decides according to what's happening then without really looking at forecasts too far ahead. My only hope is that while the busses actually run in the morning it will be the worse hours of it, 3cm per hour at 8AM with 60km/h winds. The bus drivers will hate that.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Here in Sorel, we should get 35 starting this afternoon and ending tomorrow night, but the way its spread out, I think the school board will go ahead and open up for the day hence I get no day off from work.

10 today
15 tomorrow morning
10 tomorrow afternoon

Now, it will be extremely dangerous when I go home at 3:30PM, but the school board usually looks outside in the morning around 6AM and decides according to what's happening then without really looking at forecasts too far ahead. My only hope is that while the busses actually run in the morning it will be the worse hours of it, 3cm per hour at 8AM with 60km/h winds. The bus drivers will hate that.
It's not going to be more dangerous for you and anyone else caught up in this snow storm... Also, it's a snow storm. This is Quebec. It happens. Every year.

I don't even know why they close schools when it's just/mostly snow... I LOVED going to school on snow days, recess and lunch times with my friends were the best. If anything they should just not give classes and let the kids play outside all day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I'm guessing this is 'the' storm this year..? Probably not going to see 30-35 cm again in March or something?

Having to navigate the entire city core through 41 km of highway 417 driving to get to work, tomorrow I might keep my daughter home from daycare and shovel all day. Need to postpone the one meeting to an already busy Friday, that sucks. I could make it technically but leaving daycare at 8 ish gets me to work at 10 ish with the heavy snow, so no bueno on efficiency there... I'll connect from home.

Good luck to those who truly need to be on the roads. Hope y'all drive an AWD car/SUV/truck.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
There are still pretty bad storms in March.

March always has some big ones as it gets milder which makes it more favourable for snowy conditions. One of the biggest storms was March 1972 (or 71), or how about the one on March 14th or thereabouts about 2 or 3 years ago that stranded a bunch of people on the 13.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
EC has lowered its snow amounts for the island of Montreal to 10 cm (2 cm today, 2 cm overnight and another 5 cm tomorrow), down from the 15-20cm of this morning. Montreal seems to be right in the zone where rain becomes snow so it must complicate the job of meteorologists.

Laval should get 15-20cm, north of Laval should get 25-35cm, south of Montreal should get 5-15cm.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
March always has some big ones as it gets milder which makes it more favourable for snowy conditions. One of the biggest storms was March 1972 (or 71), or how about the one on March 14th or thereabouts about 2 or 3 years ago that stranded a bunch of people on the 13.

I went for a drive during the worse part of that storm (hey, i was hungry ok) and even though I was only in the little streets of Brossard, I was terrified. I couldn't see a damn thing and I was afraid to stop because I wasn't sure I'd be able to get moving again. Plus, the snow was so intense that my car would have been burried in minutes and the plows would have destroyed my car lol

I don't regret doing it because it was an experience, but I won't play with fire like that again.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
I went for a drive during the worse part of that storm (hey, i was hungry ok) and even though I was only in the little streets of Brossard, I was terrified. I couldn't see a damn thing and I was afraid to stop because I wasn't sure I'd be able to get moving again. Plus, the snow was so intense that my car would have been burried in minutes and the plows would have destroyed my car lol

I don't regret doing it because it was an experience, but I won't play with fire like that again.

Yah, I don't think I've ever seen that much snow come down that quickly. I had shoveled my driveway at 5pm or so, went back out after the kids went to bed at about 8ish and there must have been almost a foot of snow in that 3 hour period.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
That there storm don't have a single hair on its balls if I work tomorrow.

There was a lot of excitement amongst the special needs folks I work with today. For whatever reason a lot of intellectually disabled folks have this fascination with the weather. I once did a class on natural disasters and showed them footage of the big tsunami in Japan a couple years ago, they were super interested.

Snowstorm also means my favourite sport is back, snow-shoveling! Only a natural evolution of all the puck dumping I did back in the day.

Last edited:

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
EC has lowered its snow amounts for the island of Montreal to 10 cm (2 cm today, 2 cm overnight and another 5 cm tomorrow), down from the 15-20cm of this morning. Montreal seems to be right in the zone where rain becomes snow so it must complicate the job of meteorologists.

Laval should get 15-20cm, north of Laval should get 25-35cm, south of Montreal should get 5-15cm.

Merci Geo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad