Slovan Bratislava 2016/2017

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I wish every and each professional in this world would literally stop working when they are not paid in time and properly.

And you would find new means of livelihood for all those professionals, right? :sarcasm:

In Slovakia, the defunct, formerly French-owned supermarket chain Carrefour just officially got away with not paying 97% of their €17.5 million debt for goods delivered to their stores. They've only paid around half a million of that amount, and can now carry on as usual. And the ironic thing about that is, the creditors themselves said, "OK, pay us just 3% of what you own. We'd rather have those 3% than to lose your chain for good."

So, it may be sickening to behold, but that's the real world of business (and hockey is a business, KHL doubly so), as opposed to the lofty world of ideals. ;)

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
And you would find new means of livelihood for all those professionals, right? :sarcasm:

In Slovakia, the defunct, formerly French-owned supermarket chain Carrefour just officially got away with not paying 97% of their €17.5 million debt for goods delivered to their stores. They've only paid around half a million of that amount, and can now carry on as usual. And the ironic thing about that is, the creditors themselves said, "OK, pay us just 3% of what you own. We'd rather have those 3% than to lose your chain for good."

So, it may be sickening to behold, but that's the real world of business (and hockey is a business, KHL doubly so), as opposed to the lofty world of ideals. ;)

First of all, I know how things work in real life and this is the exact reason I used the wish word; impyling that they will probably not do it but it would be nice if they could. Secondly, working for 6 month without pay doesn't look like it would provide a good life either; I really can't see the difference between being unemployed or unpaid. Either way, you have no money, the sole reason for most people to work. Moreover, hockey players are not average Joes who would have to stay silent just as you or me. Do you really believe these guys would be fired and remain unemployed? It goes for people who hardly make money, not professional ice hockey players who compete in one of the best leagues. They have way more leverage than your average citizen against their employers. A factory worker, unfortunately, may have to keep silent; because he knows that the moment he leaves, there will be hundreds banging factory doors to replace him, maybe even asking for less just to be hired. Hockey players are another story. Especially at this level.

Your mindset is what's wrong with today's world. Asking for what you're owed is a lofty world of ideals for you. And I repeat; no, I'm not a campus hipster, talking about how nice communism is while being sponsored by a rich dad and an iPhone in my hand. I for one am pressured by a disgusting boss and have been earning every single penny since I left high school, I know what "real world" is like. I know there is no such perfect order - even when you work for a great person/company, they may be unable to pay for problems not caused by them. Sure, this is understandable and everyone needs to expect the unexpected at all times. However, this "This is not how it works in real life, kiddo!" attitude is really saddening. I'm not asking players to revolt and rewrite the history. I just wish they could get even louder and make people who need to pay them think twice before doing such things.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
hockey players are not average Joes
You were the one who was unduly generalizing your statement, instead of restricting it to wealthy athletes.

However, this "This is not how it works in real life, kiddo!" attitude is really saddening.
Perhaps, but you must be imagining it. I haven't noticed it anywhere in this thread so far. You're arguing with strawmen of your imagination and then getting upset when they tell you off. ;)

By the way, it's not a black-and-white situation between wealthy athletes on one side and desperate factory workers on the other. There are many shades in between. Some people have savings and don't necessarily need to get paid on time, and losing their current clients/employers and having to find new ones would be more hassle for them than having to wait for overdue invoices/salaries to get paid. Some people even don't insist on getting paid for their work at all. (Such as the Slovak or the future US president – millionaires, of course, but it goes to show that blanket statements such as the one you originally posted aren't really applicable to reallty.)

Wien

Feb 15, 2014
3:03 & 4:49 - both no goals? One isn't even surprised, it is KHL, after all, but this is just too much even for this league's level of refereeing.

3:03: The net is off the mooring before the puck goes in. Doesn't look like a problem to me.

4:49: Any word on what happened here? It's not clear from the video why the goal was waved off.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Makes me wonder what's in it for WINGAS. I see no logical business benefit for that company in sponsoring Slovan, so there is probably some behind the scenes politics behind it. I rather don't want to know...

The majority owner is Gazprom so it is quite obvious what's going on here. I want to believe that the financial issues will not repeat...

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Makes me wonder what's in it for WINGAS. I see no logical business benefit for that company in sponsoring Slovan, so there is probably some behind the scenes politics behind it. I rather don't want to know...

Same question goes to Gazprom and FC Schalke 04. What a benefit has Gazrom from it? Do the regular people buy gas from Gazprom? No.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
Yes, but football teams in the biggest europan leagues makes profit.

I dont know, maybe this is the point - our (KHL sponsors) goal is the first profitable hockey league in the Europe, so we have to get entry investment. Then we make business model a money go back. And its goal for 20, 30 years. Football business model was created plenty years, too.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes, but football teams in the biggest europan leagues makes profit.

I dont know, maybe this is the point - our (KHL sponsors) goal is the first profitable hockey league in the Europe, so we have to get entry investment. Then we make business model a money go back. And its goal for 20, 30 years. Football business model was created plenty years, too.

I'm fairly sure there already are profitable hockey leagues in Europe. SHL and NLA.

ermolli

Nov 22, 2016
Bratislava - Engerau
I'm fairly sure there already are profitable hockey leagues in Europe. SHL and NLA.

KHL (league organization) is also profitable. If I was wrong, I mean clubs profit. So, there are greater clubs revenues (except sponsors money, of course) than clubs costs in Sweden and Switzerland?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
KHL (league organization) is also profitable. If I was wrong, I mean clubs profit. So, there are greater clubs revenues (except sponsors money, of course) than clubs costs in Sweden and Switzerland?

Swedes have probably the best tv contract in Europe (guess) while Swiss have most likely the smallest travel expeneses of all major European leagues. Fans of clubs from said leagues could probably share more detailed information. I haven't come upon news of as many clubs being in such financial woes as the ones in KHL.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara

Same question goes to Gazprom and FC Schalke 04. What a benefit has Gazrom from it? Do the regular people buy gas from Gazprom? No.

This. It's about image. Sponsoring Schalke 04, Champions League or Slovan Bratislava doesn't make Gazprom more famous in a way which would directly be profitable; but it makes them "the Gazprom". It turns "a gas company" to "Gazprom". Here, even the kids at school age know about Gazprom thanks to Champions League and I even saw a dude who said he wanted to work for Gazprom in future. :laugh: Is this person going to buy gas from Gazprom or any other provider? No. But thanks to those efforts, Gazprom makes itself a name and separates itself from others as "the best". that hansomreiste on HFBoards and hansomreiste who is the financial backer of Slovan are two very different people. In order to make money and stay relevant in the long run, you gotta spend some. Kind of an investment.

Moreover, there will always be passionate men in this business who just happen to love the sport. There are tons of examples for this in football. Kolesnykov revolutionized hockey in Donbass and he was the main reason we had a great team in form of HC Donbass a few years ago. No team in KHL can make profit in a foreseeable future - so it's all about names and images. A company like Gazprom doesn't need gains from Slovan anyways; the best Slovan can make is just like 0.0001 USD for Gazprom.

Back on Slovan, I'm really happy to hear about this news. Hopefully, this will be a stable and long-continued deal. Once the money and stability comes in, Slovan has potential to be one of the best teams in KHL. The fans, the arena, the player options... Good management and money and Slovan can even go for a Gagarin Cup run.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
So despite its injuries, Slovan is surprisingly still in game for the last playoff spot with its recent results. Vityaz, Jokerit, Sochi and Slovan are relatively close point wise with Slovan traling 6 points behind Vityaz. Ten games to go, anything is still possible. Of these 10 games, Slovan plays 4 at home and 6 away. Place your bets. :)

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
So despite its injuries, Slovan is surprisingly still in game for the last playoff spot with its recent results. Vityaz, Jokerit, Sochi and Slovan are relatively close point wise with Slovan traling 6 points behind Vityaz. Ten games to go, anything is still possible. Of these 10 games, Slovan plays 4 at home and 6 away. Place your bets. :)

Jokerit will be in, no doubts. Sochi might lose points - they play against SKA and CSKA, both twice. 6 points is still much, but the good thing is we have a home game against Vityaz. All in all, I am quite positive.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Jokerit will be in, no doubts. Sochi might lose points - they play against SKA and CSKA, both twice. 6 points is still much, but the good thing is we have a home game against Vityaz. All in all, I am quite positive.

Jokerit is struggling recently, they lost 4 out of last 5, while Sochi won 4 out of last 5.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Jokerit is struggling recently, they lost 4 out of last 5, while Sochi won 4 out of last 5.

Yes, these are the facts, but I just can't see them not making playoffs. They have relatively easy fixtures ahead, I think they'll recover soon and make the 7th place.

RicEsteban85

Jan 20, 2013
Aachen
I would put my money on Slovan they showed good results lately and the have best schedule with Vitjas, a direct contender, and Zagreb for the last 2 games. Hope Jokerit also make the playoffs but the not sure there

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Musatov saving Slovan's season. And you guys said he is some useless Russian, such prejudice :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad