News: Slava Voynov reinstated July 1, 2020, suspended for 2019/2020 season/playoffs

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
And who’s going to sign him and have him go against the cap and just eat up cap space? Wouldn’t be surprised if this ends the option of a nhl return

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
And who’s going to sign him and have him go against the cap and just eat up cap space? Wouldn’t be surprised if this ends the option of a nhl return

I doubt he has to be under contract for the suspension to apply. It's likely he can sign for 2020-2021, and he (certainly) won't sign until that sign. The suspension does make it less likely that he does come over at all - the older he is and the longer he is away, the greater the risk to an NHL team.

I don't think he comes over. I don't think teams will like the risk it'll mean to sign him, and the idea he's going to manage a collusion lawsuit a la Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid from St. Petersburg seems pretty far fetched. And unlike those guys, who had approx 50% of the public in their corner, Voynov would have a very few die hard hockey fans.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm guessing it's been long planned with the league's lawyers.

I really do not think it's really about Voynov, who IMO has very little chance to ever play in the NHL again. It's more about setting a precedent that would apply to a future situation. So, now we know: a first known significant domestic violence incident results in a a full year suspension. We don't know where it goes from there, but we know where it starts.

Tell that to Austin Watson. :dunno: :laugh:

Reactions: kilowatt

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seems like the league saying loudly: "Go away".

Which I'm not sure is a tactic that's going to work for them, because the NHLPA is going to appeal that suspension and quite possibly win. The only argument the NHL has is that they haven't formally suspended him, but that basically ignores that he hasn't been able to play in the NHL for 4 years. I would expect an arbitrator to basically say that he has served his suspension already, or at least that a year long suspension is too long.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I wonder if Voynov will appeal. To my knowledge there's only been one upheld suspension in the NFL/NBA/MLB for notably more then half a season. Jose Torres in 2018 received a 100 game MLB suspension for domestic violence that included pointing a handgun at the victim. The NFL suspended Greg Hardy for 10 games (62.5%) in 2015 but later reduced the suspension to 4 games. NFL suspended Adrian Peterson indefinitely in 2014 for a child abuse guilty plea, however the suspension was overturned in court, and effectively ended up being about a 7 game suspension (note: Peterson was on the NFL restricted list prior to the plea, which is similar to Voynov's initial suspension where the player continues to receive their salary). NFL indefinite suspension of Ray Rice was overturned in court.

NFL has settled on 6 games (37.5%) as the DV standard unless there are exceptional circumstances.

NBA not certain what their standard is. Longest DV suspension I'm aware of is 24 games (29.2%) for Jeffery Taylor in 2014.

MLB has had DV/DA suspensions of 15, 15, 30, 40, 51, 75, 82 and 100 games (9.2% to 61.7%) in the past few years.

** Hector Olivera received a 82 game MLB suspension in 2016, so technically 1 game more then half a season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wonder if Voynov will appeal.

Yes he did:

I think the games will get reduced to between 30 games and half a season for the reasons you mentioned. The NFL being weak on domestic violence will basically strong arm the arbitrator to reduce the suspension.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yes he did:

I think the games will get reduced to between 30 games and half a season for the reasons you mentioned. The NFL being weak on domestic violence will basically strong arm the arbitrator to reduce the suspension.

I doubt a team signs him with the PR backlash they'll get.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Yes he did:

I'm doubtful of that. I'm sure it'll get reduced, just not to that extent. NHL's lack of a written domestic violence policy likely hinders how much an arbitrator can reduce a suspension. NFL/NBA/MLB all have written policies that an arbitrator can use as reference.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm doubtful of that. I'm sure it'll get reduced, just not to that extent. NHL's lack of a written domestic violence policy likely hinders how much an arbitrator can reduce a suspension. NFL/NBA/MLB all have written policies that an arbitrator can use as reference.

The lack of a written policy didn't stop the arbitrator from reducing Austin Watson's suspension.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure the NHL has much of a leg to stand on for a suspension that runs for a year.

More like 20 games given that he has left the NHL for 4 years and can argue it was "punishment".

As for someone signing him, is the NHL about social issues or winning?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I doubt a team signs him with the PR backlash they'll get.

Some will have zero intention, but a number of clubs will see this as a great value signing. People like you never thought Osuna would be dealt from Toronto, and that no one would want him because of his domestic issues. Low and behold the Astros went out and acquired him. There are countless examples of teams taking chances on these types of players. Do you know why? Winning is the best PR.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It was reduced by 7 games or 33%. As I said before, I think it gets reduced, just not as much as a 50-64% reduction.

I doubt the arbitrator is going to focus on the suspension length from the perspective of “what % can or should I reduce it”. He’s going to look at the suspension from the perspective of “what’s an appropriate length based on policy and past precedent”? In the absence of an NHL written policy with suspension length I suspect as one part of his review that he will look to the NHL’s “peers” in the NFL/NBA/MLB to see what sorts of suspension lengths they are imposing.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Some will have zero intention, but a number of clubs will see this as a great value signing. People like you never thought Osuna would be dealt from Toronto, and that no one would want him because of his domestic issues. Low and behold the Astros went out and acquired him. There are countless examples of teams taking chances on these types of players. Do you know why? Winning is the best PR.

Osuna's charges were dropped, while Voynov plead no contest and spent time in jail. There's a difference.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder if Voynov will appeal. To my knowledge there's only been one upheld suspension in the NFL/NBA/MLB for notably more then half a season. Jose Torres in 2018 received a 100 game MLB suspension for domestic violence that included pointing a handgun at the victim. The NFL suspended Greg Hardy for 10 games (62.5%) in 2015 but later reduced the suspension to 4 games. NFL suspended Adrian Peterson indefinitely in 2014 for a child abuse guilty plea, however the suspension was overturned in court, and effectively ended up being about a 7 game suspension (note: Peterson was on the NFL restricted list prior to the plea, which is similar to Voynov's initial suspension where the player continues to receive their salary). NFL indefinite suspension of Ray Rice was overturned in court.

NFL has settled on 6 games (37.5%) as the DV standard unless there are exceptional circumstances.

NBA not certain what their standard is. Longest DV suspension I'm aware of is 24 games (29.2%) for Jeffery Taylor in 2014.

MLB has had DV/DA suspensions of 15, 15, 30, 40, 51, 75, 82 and 100 games (9.2% to 61.7%) in the past few years.

** Hector Olivera received a 82 game MLB suspension in 2016, so technically 1 game more then half a season.

Not for domestic violence, but wasn't Latrell Spreewell suspended in the NBA for over 1 full season? If you consider a team a family, it was domestic violence (choking out his coach). Depending on the severity, I would rate domestic violence worse than what Spreewell did.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Voynov was a punk and did something totally f'd up, so dont take what I'm gonna say now as any sort of condoning his punk ass A-holery.

All you high and mighty jackasses Virtue Signalers that are talking about him like he killed a school bus of kids are all completely screwed up. People who f*** op deserve a chance to redeem themselves. If they mess that up then they are done. But people and even scum like Voynov, deserve that chance to prove they have changed.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not for domestic violence, but wasn't Latrell Spreewell suspended in the NBA for over 1 full season? If you consider a team a family, it was domestic violence (choking out his coach). Depending on the severity, I would rate domestic violence worse than what Spreewell did.

Spreewell was suspended 68 games. And you really can’t compare the severity of the two situations to assess appropriate punishment,

In Spreewell’s case the incident happened at work, and he assaulted his boss. In this situation the NBA became the primary dispenser of punishment for an on-the-job transgression.

In Voynov’s case the incident had no connections to work, and the NHL is dispensing secondary punishment simply because Voynov made the league look bad with his off ice actions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad