News: Slava Voynov reinstated July 1, 2020, suspended for 2019/2020 season/playoffs

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm an Islander fan and I'm ok with him signing.

My line is mass murder/serial killer or anyone that has the inability to improve on themselves.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I hate to see the skeletons the people that bash him have in their closet . It's a terrible thing he done but not allowing him to work hurts his wife as well as him . He paid the price so I wish him the best and hope he truly has changed and if he hasn't Lets hope he gets 5 plus years in jail so his wife gets set free .

I don't know why people act like "not allowing him to work" is some absurd punishment that is extreme and out of the ordinary. A DV conviction on the record of joe ordinary US citizen would absolutely exclude him from any number of jobs and/or professions. The fact that he is not a citizen of either the US or Canada does not help him in that respect.

The fact that the conviction was expunged is NOT the same thing as pardoned or something. It doesn't go away and it doesn't constitute forgiveness in any respect. It means you don't have to disclose the conviction for most minor things, and it won't show up for low level background checks. For purposes of immigration and the criminal justice system/law enforcement the conviction will always exist though.

As to "hoping he's changed" ... he hasn't even admitted what he did outside of court yet. The statement him and his wife issued is almost laughable in the mental gymnastics of trying to "explain" what happened. My favorite part was how he wasn't kicking her... he was "trying to move her with his feet".

Reactions: dukeofjive

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Everytime a Voynov thread gets bumped I gotta scroll through to see if there's any actual news.

For those of you like me, you can stop here, there's no news. Its just 8 more pages of the same discussion that's been going on for 5 years.

For those of you who just can't get enough of it, here's 40 threads on the subject Search Results for Query: voynov | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League

Seriously, it feels like he's been trying to return for a while now. Just..... ****ing do SOMETHING already, will you? :laugh:

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Reinstating Voynov would be bad PR.

Ironically, if he had assaulted a much smaller, weaker man, nobody would be talking about it. He would have gotten a few games of suspension at best.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't know why people act like "not allowing him to work" is some absurd punishment that is extreme and out of the ordinary. A DV conviction on the record of joe ordinary US citizen would absolutely exclude him from any number of jobs and/or professions. The fact that he is not a citizen of either the US or Canada does not help him in that respect.

The fact that the conviction was expunged is NOT the same thing as pardoned or something. It doesn't go away and it doesn't constitute forgiveness in any respect. It means you don't have to disclose the conviction for most minor things, and it won't show up for low level background checks. For purposes of immigration and the criminal justice system/law enforcement the conviction will always exist though.

As to "hoping he's changed" ... he hasn't even admitted what he did outside of court yet. The statement him and his wife issued is almost laughable in the mental gymnastics of trying to "explain" what happened. My favorite part was how he wasn't kicking her... he was "trying to move her with his feet".

It would be extreme and out of the ordinary for a couple reasons:

1) The NHL is in a Closed Shop union relationship with the NHL Players Union. The NHL has to satisfy the collective bargaining and labor law agreements with the PA if they want to ban Voynov from playing in the NHL.

2) The NHL is a unincorporated joint venture of the 31 teams. If the 31 teams agree to prevent any team from hiring Voynov--with or without PA approval--the league runs the risk of running afoul of anti-trust law.

Look at any other North American sports league and let me know what players were banned from those leagues for life for something comparable to what Voynov did?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
But Tyson’s didn’t return to the ring to make millions of dollars. It took years of life reflection for him to be who he is. I’m all for growth, kudos to him.
Huh? Tyson's boxing license was reinstated after he got out of prison and he was back in the ring less than 6 months after getting out of jail and just over 3 years after his conviction (despite being sentenced to 6 years). He earned around 20 mil for that fight, and likely earned over 100mil in purses for his various matches after getting out of jail.

Not saying I agree with it, but the notion that Tyson wasn't able to return to the ring and make millions is nonsense. He even was able to get a boxing license again after the ear biting incident, and yet again after going to jail for assaulting a couple motorists. Even after losing his license three times (two of which were for violent crimes), he still got another shot at the championship belt against Lennox Lewis, where he still didn't seem repentant given his pre-fight quotes about wanting to eat Lewis' children.

Granted, it's harder to bar someone from boxing professionally since any state can issue a license if they choose, and the fight against Lewis had to take place in Memphis as Tennessee was one of the only states willing to give him one, but still, if I were you, I certainly wouldn't use him as an example for what you're trying to say should happen with Voynov.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Look at any other North American sports league and let me know what players were banned from those leagues for life for something comparable to what Voynov did?
Ray Rice comes to mind. Suspended indefinitely and was only lifted after he challenged in federal court, which Voynov hasn’t...he just accepted it. Rice never played in the NFL again anyway.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ray Rice comes to mind. Suspended indefinitely and was only lifted after he challenged in federal court, which Voynov hasn’t...he just accepted it. Rice never played in the NFL again anyway.

The problem there is that the NHL just let someone back who committed the same crime (in the eye of the law) as Voynov. They've already set a precedent that is going to be very hard to go against.

Now, that being said, teams are well within their rights to not offer him a contract (much like the NFL teams did with rice). But the NHL is going to have a tough time if they really want to keep Voynov out of the league based solely on their reinstatement of Watson. the more likely scenario is they deny it/suspend him, the PA appeals, and the NHL lets him back in but gets to save face because 'they tried' to deny him.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

And yet in the end the NFL didn't ban Rice for life.

As far as we're aware at this time the only reason Voynov is suspended indefinitely is because the NHL has not completed the CBA disciplinary process. So long as Voynov is cooperating, at some point the NHL is going to have to complete that process and announce a final decision. Given what has happened with Watson and domestic violence suspension standards in the other major leagues I find it highly unlikely a lifetime ban for Voynov would withstand an arbitration grievance by the PA.

Reactions: YP44 and Starat327

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Reinstating Voynov would be bad PR.

Ironically, if he had assaulted a much smaller, weaker man, nobody would be talking about it. He would have gotten a few games of suspension at best.
He would look great beside Provorov in the first pair.

As far as PR goes, everyone hates the Flyers anyway, and we could just have Gritty introduce him, wag its finger at him, spank him symbolically, then hand him a jersey. [typed in Sarcastica FontTM]

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
He would look great beside Provorov in the first pair.

As far as PR goes, everyone hates the Flyers anyway, and we could just have Gritty introduce him, wag its finger at him, spank him symbolically, then hand him a jersey. [typed in Sarcastica FontTM]
Gritty should wag his finger and spank him even if the Flyers dont try to sign him

Reactions: Larry44

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't know why people act like "not allowing him to work" is some absurd punishment that is extreme and out of the ordinary.
Especially when "not allowing him to work" actually means "gets to play at home for 3 years in a beautiful world-class city in the 2nd best pro hockey league in the world making 4.5M a year and winning an Olympic gold medal". It's not like he's panhandling to buy food without the NHL.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Weird timing, but Bettman came down with this ruling today:

https://www.tsn.ca/voynov-suspended-for-entire-2019-20-season-plus-playoffs-1.1287724

Former Los Angeles Kings defenceman Slava Voynov has been suspended for the entire 2019-20 season and 2020 postseason for unacceptable off-ice conduct, the NHL announced on Tuesday.

Voynov was previously suspended indefinitely by the league following an arrest on Oct. 20, 2014.

Five years to hand down actual punishment? NHL dragging their feet, I guess. :dunno:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Does this mean he has to pretty much sign a contract and sit out for the suspension to be active or can we wait until the following year to sign a contract.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Five years to hand down actual punishment? NHL dragging their feet, I guess. :dunno:

I'm guessing it's been long planned with the league's lawyers.

I really do not think it's really about Voynov, who IMO has very little chance to ever play in the NHL again. It's more about setting a precedent that would apply to a future situation. So, now we know: a first known significant domestic violence incident results in a a full year suspension. We don't know where it goes from there, but we know where it starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad