News: Slava Voynov reinstated July 1, 2020, suspended for 2019/2020 season/playoffs

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Spreewell was suspended 68 games. And you really can’t compare the severity of the two situations to assess appropriate punishment,

In Spreewell’s case the incident happened at work, and he assaulted his boss. In this situation the NBA became the primary dispenser of punishment for an on-the-job transgression.

In Voynov’s case the incident had no connections to work, and the NHL is dispensing secondary punishment simply because Voynov made the league look bad with his off ice actions.

Oh I agree, just that was another suspension for over half a season. It's just that domestic violence (not necessarily in this case) could end up being much worse than that incident

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
why does voynov receive any more backlash than austin watson?

Because Watson got into a drunken argument and pushed his girlfriend/wife, while Voynov pushed his wife's face into a tv, choked her, and kicked her in front of their kid?

You guys are acting like his life is ruined because of this, but in reality he's still making millions playing in Russia. The dude suffered no real consequences for his actions and even joked to Russian media it was done on purpose to play in the Olympics.

It's not even close to the same thing.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Because Watson got into a drunken argument and pushed his girlfriend/wife, while Voynov pushed his wife's face into a tv, choked her, and kicked her in front of their kid?

You guys are acting like his life is ruined because of this, but in reality he's still making millions playing in Russia. The dude suffered no real consequences for his actions and even joked to Russian media it was done on purpose to play in the Olympics.

It's not even close to the same thing.

okay got it. so some domestic violence is redeemable, but not all. voynov was intoxicated too, for what it’s worth.

Reactions: Riptide

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Voynov was a punk and did something totally f'd up, so dont take what I'm gonna say now as any sort of condoning his punk ass A-holery.

All you high and mighty jackasses Virtue Signalers that are talking about him like he killed a school bus of kids are all completely screwed up. People who **** op deserve a chance to redeem themselves. If they mess that up then they are done. But people and even scum like Voynov, deserve that chance to prove they have changed.

Jesus. No one is saying he belongs in prison for the rest of his life. But maybe, just maybe, he should lose the unbelievable privilege of getting to make millions of dollars a year playing a game.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Allegedly. And Voynov is the adoptive parent, voluntarily taking care of a kid that is not his.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
According to his wife she fell against the TV set. I have no idea if that's what really happened, but if she says so then it should be honored.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
okay got it. so some domestic violence is redeemable, but not all. voynov was intoxicated too, for what it’s worth.

Sure? The same way getting a DUI and driving drunk plus causing injury or death to somebody are two completely different levels of severity for the same initial act? The severity of every crime is taken into consideration when it comes to the punishment one faces. To be redeemed would mean he faced some sort of punishment. What was Voynov's punishment? Making millions and living a celebrity lifestyle in Russia?

I get it, your team is garbage now and having another top 4 D might help. But I wouldn't want him on my team, even if they could use help on their blue line.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
you don't understand how domestic abuse works do you?

And how does it work? They've since celebrated their wedding, got their first common child, and there have been no other allegations. It's an isolated incident with many different narratives, not all of which can be true simultaneously.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
And how does it work? They've since celebrated their wedding, got their first common child, and there have been no other allegations. It's an isolated incident with many different narratives not all of which can be true.
Ex-Kings player Slava Voynov spent two months in jail for domestic abuse, but is at Olympics representing Russia

she admitted to all the stuff he did. admitted he's been aggressive multiple times. it's not uncommon for people in abusive relationships to stay in them.

Reactions: North

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
His wife released a written statement giving her version of the events, whether it is true or not it is plausible and indeed the final word of the alleged victim.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
allegedly? there's photo evidence he did that. there's no "allegedly".

The information or report u are talking about was said to a police officer by Marta Marta who's first language is Russian and the interview was given without a interpreter in English. There are language translations issues imo

Last edited:

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I have a feeling that he will become irrelevant next summer. More So because of the amount of time he has missed in the NHL secondly because he wasn't a elite player.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
If your barometer for measuring what is right is in line with the NFL ya need a new barometer.
Yeah like Craig MacTavish who killed a guy and served a full year in Prison. Like that example? NHL's MacTavish Is Released After Serving One Year in Jail
First they let him back, then was a Coach, then he was a GM. Yeah the NHL has some stellar morality standards
First they gladly let him back and how long was THAT suspension? Then he was a Coach and then a GM. The NHL has no better claim to morality standards than any other pro sport game.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Voynov was a punk and did something totally f'd up, so dont take what I'm gonna say now as any sort of condoning his punk ass A-holery.

All you high and mighty jackasses Virtue Signalers that are talking about him like he killed a school bus of kids are all completely screwed up. People who **** op deserve a chance to redeem themselves. If they mess that up then they are done. But people and even scum like Voynov, deserve that chance to prove they have changed.
No one is saying he shouldn't get a second chance at life. If you're a truck driver and you get arrested for a DWI I don't think you should spend the rest of your life in jail, but I would be perfectly ok if you never got a job as a driver of any kind again.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Jeffery Simmons beats a woman on the ground and is picked in the first round of the NFL draft.

Voynov hit his wife and he's kicked out of the NHL for 5-6 years?

Jeffery Simmons seen punching a woman on the ground during fight https://youtu.be/RG4KN3ejSsg via @YouTube

Just sayin ....

This happened like 4 years ago when the kid was in high school. The girl he hit was beating on his sister. Not the smartest thing in the world but not something that should haunt him 4 years later.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Yeah like Craig MacTavish who killed a guy and served a full year in Prison. Like that example? NHL's MacTavish Is Released After Serving One Year in Jail
First they let him back, then was a Coach, then he was a GM. Yeah the NHL has some stellar morality standards
First they gladly let him back and how long was THAT suspension? Then he was a Coach and then a GM. The NHL has no better claim to morality standards than any other pro sport game.
So times change and morals/laws/opinions too. What was OK for years ago is not OK anymore. Is that so difficult to grasp?

Reactions: North

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I feel like this whole episode has handled appropriately and if he has lived up to the conditions both legal and civic (NHL), then he should be allowed a fresh start. From a selfish perspective, can’t wait to hear the chants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad