News: Slava Voynov reinstated July 1, 2020, suspended for 2019/2020 season/playoffs

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Woah, don't go all in and actually boycott a player. Like, you won't buy his jersey or collect his hockey card? C'mon now...the other guy said he would boycott the whole NHL. Your so brave...your medal is in the mail, lol.

First you challenge the ability of a person to be logical, then - when shown this is a bad tack - you challenge a person's masculinity? You're all over the place.

If NYI were to sign Voynov, I'm done. And there are parts of being a NYI fan that I'll enjoy missing, like the stuff I take out every Thursday morning. But NYI won't because that stuff isn't their future either.

Reactions: dukeofjive

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I’m not even arguing in Voynov’s favor - I don’t want him back on the Kings. But it’s not a cut and dry issue like some seem to think.

It's a choice - there is nothing having to do with the justice system here. I don't know why anyone keeps on saying this. There is no discrimination. Slava Voynov has no recourse. Maybe if he were an American or Canadian citizen it would be different (then only *maybe*, and I doubt it), but he isn't. End of story.

His criminal record is neither here nor there. We all know he's an unrepentant wife beater. The only question is whether the league and a team want to employ an unrepentant wife beater.

The fact that Dean Lombardi terminated a contract because of a player's drug problem, but supported an unrepentant wife beater should be shameful enough. The idea that a Kings fan would think this issue is anything other than cut and dry is bizarre.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
A significant segment of Russians, both women and men, do not see violence as a similar concept like most socities in Europe or North America do. Leaving an abusive husband is not an option in Russia unless you come from a family of means. And even then it can be a tricky path to take.
This is not true. Domestic violence is a prevalent issue, but it's condemned in the society, and of course leaving an abusive husband is an optopn. Why wouldn't it be? :huh:
A long while ago, I read in a Russian newspaper that like 70 percent of women told a pollster that if the husband doesn't hit her, means he doesn't love her. This was definitely more than 10 years ago and it might not reflect the views today. However, thats just disturbing. It also raise a weird question in my head... If thats an actual belief, it would seem like the woman in Russia, might just go through incredible lengths to get her husband boiling to the point of violence. Confirmation bias of sorts...
This is nonsense :laugh: There's an old proverb saying "if he hits, he loves", but that's about it, people aren't dumb enough to actually base their behavior on it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It's a choice - there is nothing having to do with the justice system here. I don't know why anyone keeps on saying this. There is no discrimination. Slava Voynov has no recourse. Maybe if he were an American or Canadian citizen it would be different (then only *maybe*, and I doubt it), but he isn't. End of story.

His criminal record is neither here nor there. We all know he's an unrepentant wife beater. The only question is whether the league and a team want to employ an unrepentant wife beater.

The fact that Dean Lombardi terminated a contract because of a player's drug problem, but supported an unrepentant wife beater should be shameful enough. The idea that a Kings fan would think this issue is anything other than cut and dry is bizarre.

Ya DL and the kings really supported Voynov
The LA Kings hire former banned player to help with troubled players - Puck Drunk Love
Kings GM Lombardi voices support for Voynov suspension

DL put Voynov in practice as his cap hit was on the books for LA, even if though he was suspended. It was a move to get the league to get off their asses in allowing LA to use that cap space. The incident happend in October and the Practice was in December, they needed not only the cap space but the roster spot.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
We all know he's an unrepentant wife beater.
We all know? And you know this how? Because Voynov is your friend and he told you? The only facts in this case was that the wife was bleeding and there was blood around the house.

For all we know, Voynov pushed her, she tripped and hit her head on the TV and started bleeding and walked around the housed pissed, called the cops and told the cops in anger that he hit her and he'd done it before just to get back at him. I'm obviously making up this story but see how easy it is to make up a believable story. (disclaimer: pushing is still not okay)

I'm not saying he did or din't beat his wife. I'm just saying it's not cut and dry like you're making it out to be. Especially when the criminal justice system, which has it's faults, has determined that his crime is deserving of only a misdemeanor, and one that has been expunged since.

Reactions: Starat327

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
This is not true. Domestic violence is a prevalent issue, but it's condemned in the society, and of course leaving an abusive husband is an optopn. Why wouldn't it be? :huh:

This is nonsense :laugh: There's an old proverb saying "if he hits, he loves", but that's about it, people aren't dumb enough to actually base their behavior on it.
There are people who belive in crab-people, what the F that is. From my view, the majority of humanity believes in a magical being somewhere upstairs... Yeah, people are that stupid all too often.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
For all we know, Voynov pushed her, she tripped and hit her head on the TV and started bleeding and walked around the housed pissed, called the cops and told the cops in anger that he hit her and he'd done it before just to get back at him. I'm obviously making up this story but see how easy it is to make up a believable story. (disclaimer: pushing is still not okay)

She didn't call the cops, Voynov took her to hospital and the hospital staff made the call.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
And some people believe monkeys became human. Funny that.
There's this thing called DNA, you know, that holds up in court that confirms that theory. On the other, you say you're seeing god and the same vourts will order a psychological evaluation... Funny how evidence works.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Come on guys, when ya wrestle pigs everyone gets covered in excrement. Ain't changing peoples minds about whether it is okay to beat women on a hockey forum.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Well rest assured everyone.
A team will sign him.
He might have to lower his price to somewhere between 2-3.5M for his first year back (assuming he comes back with previous contract voided) and if he goes that low a ton of teams will go for him because money talks.

I can sleep well knowing my Oilers won't sign him. Why?
  • Who on earth choses to come to Edmonton?
  • We'd have to trade one of our top 4 d-men away for futures to fit him under the cap.
  • We've got REALLLLY nasty luck with Russians and I'm hoping all those Russian's agents have figured that out by now. Except Kos. He's awesome. *knock on wood*
  • We've honestly had enough wife drama in Edmonton already. Wayne's wife wanted live and work closer to Hollywood, Pronger thingy you probably don't want to know about... yeahhh.... we need to rebuild the Edmonton Oilers wives association. After it's been rebuilt into a strong and proud organization we shall welcome Slava and his lovely wife with open arms!

It would remind of Siberia where he would be sent if convinced in Russia of a crime .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I hate to see the skeletons the people that bash him have in their closet . It's a terrible thing he done but not allowing him to work hurts his wife as well as him . He paid the price so I wish him the best and hope he truly has changed and if he hasn't Lets hope he gets 5 plus years in jail so his wife gets set free .

Reactions: YP44

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Lombardi and the Kings immediately distanced themselves from Voynov and this case as soon as more details began to emerge. Over the first several weeks, it was very unclear what exactly had taken place.

Lombardi personally supported Richards throughout his entire descent into addiction. He was flying out to Kelowna during the summer to check on Mike and see how he was doing. He freakin’ agreed to not utilize a CBO on Mike’s promise that he was seeking help for his addiction.

The border incident was a final broken promise in a long string of broken promises from Mike Richards. There’s a reason the NHLPA decided to settle on a moderate, re-structured buyout rather than fight the league tooth and nail. How many player contracts have been successfully terminated in the cap era? Lombardi and the Kings had a very strong case.

Whether or not Voynov has an ethical right to work again after what he did is an entirely different debate. But this myth of the Kings terminating Richards at the first opportune moment and supporting Voynov to the bitter end is just that: a myth. Richards was given many, many chances to turn his life around. Not only did he fail to do so, he continually shackled the Kings franchise (first by convincing Lombardi to not use a CBO, second by torching a trade with the Flames at the 2015 draft due to the border incident).

There was a lot of conflicting information in the initial Voynov news deluge. Lombardi made a very poor decision to have the Kings skate with Voynov in those early weeks, a mistake he was appropriately fined for.

Moreover, there’s a reason Lombardi is no longer employed by the Kings, some of that pertaining to the way he handled both the Richards and Voynov situations, among many other reasons.

Reactions: YP44

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
First you challenge the ability of a person to be logical, then - when shown this is a bad tack - you challenge a person's masculinity? You're all over the place.

If NYI were to sign Voynov, I'm done. And there are parts of being a NYI fan that I'll enjoy missing, like the stuff I take out every Thursday morning. But NYI won't because that stuff isn't their future either.

Alright, glad you clarified. Now you are talking! And since when does being brave infer masculinity? That's quite sexist of you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad