News: Skyler Brind'Amour will not sign with the Oilers, speculation is he will sign with Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I don’t agree with that at all…. Teams can’t technically pay for players flights etc… for development camps. But they are still entirely entitled to the development itself.

With that said, it is silly how the rules work and that players are on their own dime.
With the introduction of NIL I do wonder if the landscape starts changing

Reactions: poobags and DaveG

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Signed a PTO with the Checkers (Florida’s affiliate)
Which is in Charlotte, North Carolina. So really, just a PTO to play on an AHL team in the State his family is in and where he was raised. I mean it's pretty clear where he is intending to sign.

Charlotte is in the playoffs and he gets to be home, seems like it's just a matter of the season ending for the Checkers before he signs with the Hurricanes.

Reactions: Tryamw

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Most people don’t realize Rod’s real first name is actually Roderic. No joke.
... we have had a Roderic all these years and no one told us?

maxresdefault.jpg

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Which is in Charlotte, North Carolina. So really, just a PTO to play on an AHL team in the State his family is in and where he was raised. I mean it's pretty clear where he is intending to sign.

Charlotte is in the playoffs and he gets to be home, seems like it's just a matter of the season ending for the Checkers before he signs with the Hurricanes.
That’s a lot of speculation. If he was so for sure playing with us why not a pto with us? It’s been a week, he could’ve gotten a game.

You don’t often see someone intentionally sign with someone while intending to sign with someone else immediately after the season. This smacks of he has to show what he’s got as a pro before anyone commits to him. If it was for sure the Canes they could’ve just signed him for next year.

His Dad loves vets on the fourth line. The Canes have prospects playing well in the AHL that haven’t gotten a sniff. I have a hard time seeing Skyler jumping onto the fourth line over Rees or Ponomarev, and that’s if we even leave a spot open instead of signing Stepan/Stastny back. Skyler isn’t knocking Drury out of the lineup.

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
That’s a lot of speculation. If he was so for sure playing with us why not a pto with us? It’s been a week, he could’ve gotten a game.

You don’t often see someone intentionally sign with someone while intending to sign with someone else immediately after the season. This smacks of he has to show what he’s got as a pro before anyone commits to him. If it was for sure the Canes they could’ve just signed him for next year.

His Dad loves vets on the fourth line. The Canes have prospects playing well in the AHL that haven’t gotten a sniff. I have a hard time seeing Skyler jumping onto the fourth line over Rees or Ponomarev, and that’s if we even leave a spot open instead of signing Stepan/Stastny back. Skyler isn’t knocking Drury out of the lineup.
I'm still not convinced it's a done deal he's signing with the Canes, but he can't sign with any NHL team except the Oilers until August I believe.

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Entitled is what he is period!!! All you Can argue if you want to but you're wrong. The Kid Should just Be grateful to get drafted into the NHL and play for any team, Arizona included. I Hope he doesn't play in the league. Stop being a brat and Be humble. Must have not been raised properly.

Lol okay. Sorry, we should ask you next time there's ever any debate to save any argument. Glad you settled this for everyone.

Most players don't get a choice of where they sign, some do. It's unfortunate for the fan bases who have invested in these players emotionally but it's a part of the game. This is not a bug, this is a feature of the CBA.

Attacking the character of a person just because they exercised their player rights under the Collective Bargaining Agreement is pretty childish. Also pretty bratty, you must not have been raised properly and you should try to be more humble.

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Lol okay. Sorry, we should ask you next time there's ever any debate to save any argument. Glad you settled this for everyone.

Most players don't get a choice of where they sign, some do. It's unfortunate for the fan bases who have invested in these players emotionally but it's a part of the game. This is not a bug, this is a feature of the CBA.

Attacking the character of a person just because they exercised their player rights under the Collective Bargaining Agreement is pretty childish. Also pretty bratty, you must not have been raised properly and you should try to be more humble.
"Lol okay. Sorry, we should ask you next time there's ever any debate to save any argument. Glad you settled this for everyone."

Like how I used your line there? if you don't like what I said then mind your own business and move on as easy as that. Just because you say something does not make you right either, because your not right to me. I have my opinion, just like you or anybody and yes i think he is entitled. Guy Goes the easy route to play for daddy's team. Clearly he isn't that good of a player then and doesn't trust his skill set to grind it out and earn the right to play in the best league in the world. Are You the HF Board Police or something? You make the law and order on here and get to decide my opinion or others? Get TF out Of here LOL, if you don't like what i said or others then be quite and move on, You must not have been raised properly!

• Haha
Reactions: Shwabeal

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don’t think it’s as broad as you’re trying to paint it. I think opportunity and team success come in to consideration as much as geography, if not more. How many college draftees are signing their ELC with a wife and kids in tow? It’s usually the guys with families that find Canadian markets less desirable because their “better half” wants nice weather throughout the season. It’s not like the player cares that much because they’re on the road 1/2 the winter and focused on the game when they’re on a home stand.

The case of Brind’Amour is one where theirs is minimal/no path to playing on the big club. Zero chance of top 6, then you have McLeod as a young guy in the bottom 6, plus the Oilers cup window in the coming years likely leads to vet signings or trade deadline acquisitions.
There is absolutely a path to the Oilers bottom six.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I understand not wanting to sign with Edmonton, would be a tough roster to crack and I don't fault him for doing what's best for his career. But, if the speculation is true, going to play for your dad? Kid will get roasted every time he steps on the ice

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Tough for the less desirable markets when you’re a player who has insight that other teams are interested in you.

Would be interesting to see some compensation for players who refuse to sign, an extra 7th round pick

They only offered him an AHL deal because he's at most a C level prospect, and several players ahead of him.

Don't think too hard on it.

• Haha
Reactions: Three On Zero

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Man if only my dad was an NHLer ..... never mind it still would not have mattered lol

The funny thing is... it might have.

You'd have access to top tier facilities, top tier coaches, inside look on what it takes to become and NHLer, interactions with active/former NHLers, etc etc.

Not every NHLer's kids make it, but they are given a heck of a head start on every other kid - if they do want it.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
But Charlotte is in Carolina Checkmate!

Oilers offered him AHL deal for next year.

He took PTO deal so he could play in first round this year.

These are facts. I can't tell if this is a lazy attempt at trolling Edmonton or you actually believe this?

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

Oilers offered him AHL deal for next year.

He took PTO deal so he could play in first round this year.

These are facts. I can't tell if this is a lazy attempt at trolling Edmonton or you actually believe this?

It was a bad joke on him wanting to go to Carolina. Nothing about Edmonton meant. Just a joke on current gotcha culture and the thread title and I was the second to make this point

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
It was a bad joke on him wanting to go to Carolina. Nothing about Edmonton meant

I know. Oiler fans don't blame the kid for looking where he might have slightly better chances of making it.

Oilers offered him an AHL only deal and he looked at the depth chart and decided it wasn't a good idea. Almost like he used a bit of his college education.

Why not look at prospect depth charts and try to maximize playing time for development?

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad