Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] Rudolfs Balcers claimed off waivers by the Sharks

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Knowing what I know now about how it turned out, I’d not do the deal. But based on the information available at the time, I’d unequivocally do the Karlsson deal again.

Giving up what could realistically have been a mid-1st, Norris, a couple seconds, Tierney, Backers, and Demelo for a Norris winner is a deal I’d do again and again even knowing it’d be a $11.5 per year contract.

The deal looks great for Ottawa mostly because of the Sharks imploding and their pick ending up winning the 3rd pick. Could hardly predict all the injuries and issues the Sharks would have in 2019/20 when the deal was made.

Norris has turned out to be a great young player and a solid pickup, but I'd hardly be happy with him, a mid 1st and a bunch of spare parts for one of the best D in hockey, which is what Karlsson was considered when he was traded.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Norris is a good prospect in a great situation, but I think if he was on an average AHL team he would've been closer to a ~0.6-0.8 PPG season. AHL Rookie of the year doesn't really add on anything for me either. Either way, he'll have every chance to prove himself this year, I'd be happy to be proved wrong with Norris if he establishes himself as a top 6 center, I just don't think he's a guaranteed top 6 center to warrant a B+/A rating.

Fair enough, I've got him at A level and a favourite for the Calder. Could easily be wrong as well.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't get why he was put on waivers. Did the Sens really have 14 better F's? And you'd think there was someone equally marginal who was either too old to grow with the team or young enough to go through waivers, they could have sent them down for a couple weeks until someone got hurt, and have kept Rudy.

Yes they did. The Sens are utterly flooded with bottom 6 forwards.

Reactions: SensFactor

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I should have worded it differently I thought they used the last seasons standings for waiver priority Ottawa being 2nd worst last season and Detroit claiming Djoos I thought they were now #1 on the list

Waiver order doesn't change due to successful claims. Detroit is still #1 and will remain so until they switch to using this season standings.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Waiver order doesn't change due to successful claims. Detroit is still #1 and will remain so until they switch to using this season standings.
which is when? if Tampa starts out with a 2-game losing streak, would they hypothetically get the first crack at a waiver claim?

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
which is when? if Tampa starts out with a 2-game losing streak, would they hypothetically get the first crack at a waiver claim?

No. There is a set date when they switch from last season’s final standings to this season’s current standings. It was announced by the league, but I don’t know it off the top of my head. In March maybe?

Until then, Ottawa gets “second dibs” on anyone who goes on waivers. If SJ waive him, Ottawa can claim Balcers back as long as Detroit doesn’t want him.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yep I think a vast majority of Sharks fans still do that trade every time.
Why? Lol

Potential franchise C in Stutzle, a good top 6 F prospect in Norris, a quality 3rd liner in Tierny for an often injured and declining Karlsson at $11M? That seems like a landslide win for Ottawa

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why? Lol

Potential franchise C in Stutzle, a good top 6 F prospect in Norris, a quality 3rd liner in Tierny for an often injured and declining Karlsson at $11M? That seems like a landslide win for Ottawa

A lot of ifs for Ottawa still to call it a win. I think it's a win for both clubs but that's me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad