Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] Rudolfs Balcers claimed off waivers by the Sharks

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I'd say #6-8 (clearly behind Merkley, Leonard, Wiesblatt, Chmelevski, and Bordeleau, in no particular order) depending on how one thinks of Chekovich's explosion in the KHL and Melnichuk's real potential.

It depends on how you value Dahlen and if you exclude guys on the roster and taxi squad (including Gregor, Knyzhov, and Pasichnuk but excl. Leonard) but including them he may be #9 or even lower.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yes, the Sharks were in "win now" mode when the trade was made. Stutzle wouldn't have helped them win a cup in 2019.
Karlsson didn't really help them either considering they were out in the first round if not for one of the worst calls in NHL history

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
A mystery box, a guy who I don’t see as anything more than a third liner, a guy that would be 4C in SJ for one of the best offensive D in the game.

It’s not a loss for the Sharks but also not a loss for OTT.

Why would Tierney be a 4th line center in SJ if he wasn't a 4th line center when he was in SJ?

There remains a huge Tierney sized hole on SJ's 3rd line.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Except he did and nobody lives in your what-if world. They went to the Conference Finals in large part because of Karlsson.

Nine assists in seven games against Vegas, and in the final game instrumental in two of the four power play goals and on the ice for three, and also made the pass to set up the series-ending goal.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Except he did and nobody lives in your what-if world. They went to the Conference Finals in large part because of Karlsson.
Ouuuu the Conference Finals (which were incredibly tainted)!! That's worth giving away a potential franchise C for :laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ouuuu the Conference Finals (which were incredibly tainted)!! That's worth giving away a potential franchise C for :laugh:

I'm alright getting a legitimate #1 d-man for that and a bunch of scraps. I personally don't think Stuetzle is going to be as good as you think he will be.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Why would Tierney be a 4th line center in SJ if he wasn't a 4th line center when he was in SJ?

There remains a huge Tierney sized hole on SJ's 3rd line.
Hertl/Couture/Thornton. Obviously Thornton is gone this year but I did say up until this season.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Hertl/Couture/Thornton. Obviously Thornton is gone this year but I did say up until this season.

Tierney is a 4th line center because Thornton used to play for SJ? Sorry, don't follow. Haven't convinced me Tierney is a 4th liner unfortunately.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Tierney is a 4th line center because Thornton used to play for SJ? Sorry, don't follow. Haven't convinced me Tierney is a 4th liner unfortunately.
I never said he was a fourth liner. I said up until this season he’d be the fourth line C. Sharks had three better centers. I don’t understand what’s so hard for you to understand.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
A mystery box, a guy who I don’t see as anything more than a third liner, a guy that would be 4C in SJ for one of the best offensive D in the game.

It’s not a loss for the Sharks but also not a loss for OTT.

He would not be a 4th liner in SJ. As we agree. You've since tried to claim you said something different, as I can't read your mind, obviously, I'm struggling to understand you.

Even if we accept your retreat that you were only talking about last season, and ignore all the present tense verbs, then you still make no sense because Karlsson was not one of the best offensive D in the game last year. (Until you re-define "one of the best" to mean top 25 of course.)

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He would not be a 4th liner in SJ. As we agree. You've since tried to claim you said something different, as I can't read your mind, obviously, I'm struggling to understand you.

Even if we accept your retreat that you were only talking about last season, and ignore all the present tense verbs, then you still make no sense because Karlsson was not one of the best offensive D in the game last year.
Wow man. You really don’t read my posts do you? I said UNTIL THIS SEASON Tierney would be our 4th line C. We had Hertl, Couture, and Thornton ALL 3 are better than Tierney, therefore he would have the option of W or 4th line. Neither him nor Thornton’s game translate to the wing. Neither can comfortably be 2C. Therefore Hertl and Couture are our 1 and 2C. I’m not only talking about last season for Tierney being our 4C. I’m talking about UNTIL THIS SEASON. He would be a 3C this season, if we had him yes. You’re right there. Hertl and Couture are still better therefore he would be 3C. Chris Tierney would have been a 4th liner in SJ until Thornton left. There’s a reason the Sharks were okay moving Tierney. That’s because they had Hertl, Couture, and Thornton. Tierney was a luxury. I don’t know how much more I can spell it out for you.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Wow man. You really don’t read my posts do you? I said UNTIL THIS SEASON Tierney would be our 4th line C. We had Hertl, Couture, and Thornton ALL 3 are better than Tierney, therefore he would have the option of W or 4th line. Neither him nor Thornton’s game translate to the wing. Neither can comfortably be 2C. Therefore Hertl and Couture are our 1 and 2C. I’m not only talking about last season for Tierney being our 4C. I’m talking about UNTIL THIS SEASON. He would be a 3C this season, if we had him yes. You’re right there. Hertl and Couture are still better therefore he would be 3C. Chris Tierney would have been a 4th liner in SJ until Thornton left. There’s a reason the Sharks were okay moving Tierney. That’s because they had Hertl, Couture, and Thornton. Tierney was a luxury. I don’t know how much more I can spell it out for you.

I quoted you twice. It's not what you said and getting upset will not make it so.

Okay you've clarified the mistake you made before and we all agree that Tierney is not " a guy that would be 4C in SJ". Good talk!

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What does Burns have to do with EK? Without EK behind Burns the best offensive D the Sharks have/had in the past few years is Tim freaking Heed. There’s a world where trades don’t have to have a winner or a loser. Norris is great now but I don’t think he would have been given the same chance in SJ. Tierney would never have been more than a 3C (and a 4C up until this season). Demelo was a bottom pairing D that was scratched and flawed with us and again wouldn’t have gotten the same chance in SJ. Stuetzle is fantastic and is a great get for OTT but he’s still a mystery box while the Sharks were all in and they couldn’t wait for him to be better. EK also allows us to insulate our top prospect (Merkley) and allowed us to take a chance on a guy (Merkley) that talent wise was top 5 in the draft. This trade now looks much more even.

I quoted you twice. It's not what you said and getting upset will not make it so.

Okay you've clarified the mistake you made before and we all agree that Tierney is not " a guy that would be 4C in SJ". Good talk!
You’re cute. Go ahead read this post that clearly says Tierney would never have been more than a 3C in SJ and would be a 4C up until this season. But no continue claiming false shit.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I'm alright getting a legitimate #1 d-man for that and a bunch of scraps. I personally don't think Stuetzle is going to be as good as you think he will be.

Let's not let emotions cloud our judgment here

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I mean he said franchise C. There’s like 5 franchise C in the entire league in my opinion. I think he will be good and I think he will be a first liner (remains to be seen at C or W but I’d assume C). I just don’t know about franchise level.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
You’re cute. Go ahead read this post that clearly says Tierney would never have been more than a 3C in SJ and would be a 4C up until this season. But no continue claiming false shit.

Ah, well it appears you've said some contradictory and confusing things. Nice of you to clarify your position.

Incidentally, Faceoffs taken in 2017-2018: (the year 4th line Tierney put up 40 points.)

Hertl: 1156
Tierney: 956
Pavelski: 911
Thornton: 440 (injured, paced 767)
Couture: 325

Hell of a 4th liner for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Altimus

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ah, well it appears you've said some contradictory and confusing things. Nice of you to clarify your position.

Incidentally, Faceoffs taken in 2017-2018: (the year 4th line Tierney put up 40 points.)

Fantastic. He’s still not better than any of the sharks C. You also fail to mention that Thornton scored at a 60+ point pace, Hertl 48, and Couture had 61. Tierney would be a luxury on the Sharks and if not moved for EK, would have been traded for someone else.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Fantastic. He’s still not better than any of the sharks C. You also fail to mention that Thornton scored at a 60+ point pace, Hertl 48, and Couture had 61. Tierney would be a luxury on the Sharks and if not moved for EK, would have been traded for someone else.

Fascinating. Good chat.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I'm not. I don't think Stuetzle will be a franchise center. Top six player? Yeah, totally. Top line player? Yeah, probably. Franchise level? No. I think Stuetzle will rise to the level of a Logan Couture or Tomas Hertl. Great players in their own right but not franchise caliber.

Reactions: Gecklund

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose

That year Hertl played LW on Couture’s line but took way more face offs because even then he was much better in the circle. Pavelski played on Thornton’s wing and also took a lot of draws. Tierney was the 3C.

Proceed with your debate.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That year Hertl played LW on Couture’s line but took way more face offs because even then he was much better in the circle. Pavelski played on Thornton’s wing and also took a lot of draws. Tierney was the 3C.

Proceed with your debate.

Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone could say Tierney was not the 3C in San Jose bordering on 4C when his game was off. He had a great breakout year for them prior to being traded, but was traded for at the time the best defenseman in the league so who gives a shit.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone could say Tierney was not the 3C in San Jose bordering on 4C when his game was off. He had a great breakout year for them prior to being traded, but was traded for at the time the best defenseman in the league so who gives a shit.
Well, what makes it hard is that the year he played 3C for the Sharks he was probably our 5th best center. Jumbo, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, then Tierney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad