Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] Rudolfs Balcers claimed off waivers by the Sharks

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Well, what makes it hard is that the year he played 3C for the Sharks he was probably our 5th best center. Jumbo, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, then Tierney.

Good point, forgot about Pavelski. His 911 faceoffs have been added to the list. Just below "4th line" center Tierney and above Thornton.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Good point, forgot about Pavelski. His 911 faceoffs have been added to the list. Just below "4th line" center Tierney and above Thornton.

Thornton and Pavelski split draws depending on what side of the ice they were on. Tierney would've been a 3C here only because every coach would have moved others around to make that happen. Thornton would probably have been a 2C to allow one of Hertl or Couture back to the wing to load up on the wings of those lines but in terms of quality play and who would be center if they needed it, he's still well behind Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, and Hertl. Or another scenario would've been Tierney moving to the wing of the 3rd line if Thornton was no longer cutting it as a 2C.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I don’t know why Ottawa fans need to keep reminding us how we traded away a top C in Tierney not the mention the rest for their gutter trash broken bag of pucks in Karlsson

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
What does Burns have to do with EK? Without EK behind Burns the best offensive D the Sharks have/had in the past few years is Tim freaking Heed. There’s a world where trades don’t have to have a winner or a loser. Norris is great now but I don’t think he would have been given the same chance in SJ. Tierney would never have been more than a 3C (and a 4C up until this season). Demelo was a bottom pairing D that was scratched and flawed with us and again wouldn’t have gotten the same chance in SJ. Stuetzle is fantastic and is a great get for OTT but he’s still a mystery box while the Sharks were all in and they couldn’t wait for him to be better. EK also allows us to insulate our top prospect (Merkley) and allowed us to take a chance on a guy (Merkley) that talent wise was top 5 in the draft. This trade now looks much more even.
As a neutral fan I’d have to think it was a poor decision by the sharks . With each passing year this will become more painfully obvious

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
As a neutral fan I’d have to think it was a poor decision by the sharks . With each passing year this will become more painfully obvious
Like I said in that post, sharks were all in. The trade itself was fine. The resigning was the issue but I mean you really can’t let a player like EK walk.
It's been nine games.
I’ll fix it and say it’s probably been close to the best claim in SHARKS history already.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
It's been nine games.
Does it not say chance? That means it’s in the realm of possibility [MOD]
Good players aren’t often put on waivers, so the list of “Great waiver claims” isn’t too spectacular, so yeah, if Balcers continues to play top-6 minutes and PP time on the Sharks, i’d say it’s possible!

FWIW: Ilya Bryzgolov, Chris Osgood, Chris Kunitz, 39y/o Mark Recci, Kyle Quincey are his competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Does it not say chance? That means it’s in the realm of possibility since you obviously don’t know how to read.
Good players aren’t often claimed on waivers, so the list of “Great waiver claims” isn’t too spectacular, so yeah, if Balcers continues to play top-6 minutes and PP time on the Sharks, i’d say it’s possible!

FWIW: Ilya Bryzgolov, Chris Osgood, Chris Kunitz, 39y/o Mark Recci, Kyle Quincey are his competition.

Ray Whitney was also a pretty good waiver pickup.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Yep I think a vast majority of Sharks fans still do that trade every time.

a vast majority of Sharks fans should stay away from hockey analysis in that case

2018-Sep-13 Erik Karlsson Traded from Ottawa Senators with Francis Perron to San Jose Sharks for Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, round 2 pick in the 2019 draft (Jamieson Rees), conditional round 1 pick in the 2020 draft (Tim Stutzle), conditional round 2 pick in the 2021 draft and conditional round 1 pick in the 2022 draft

i wouldn't even do Stutzle for Karlsson straight up

Reactions: Tryblot

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
a vast majority of Sharks fans should stay away from hockey analysis in that case

2018-Sep-13 Erik Karlsson Traded from Ottawa Senators with Francis Perron to San Jose Sharks for Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, round 2 pick in the 2019 draft (Jamieson Rees), conditional round 1 pick in the 2020 draft (Tim Stutzle), conditional round 2 pick in the 2021 draft and conditional round 1 pick in the 2022 draft

But the Sharks didn't trade away Stutzle. They traded away a draft pick that looked like it was going to be in the lower half of the first round.

Would you trade Dylan Holloway for Karlsson? I assume not, but that's a very different trade.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Basically, the Sens bought a crap ton of lottery tickets in the rebuild, but only have so many spots in their lineup to use them.

Seems like they were in the envious position that too many of these lottery tickets won big (1st/Stutzle, Norris, Batherson, Formenton, etc.), and they had to throw out the smaller winning tickets because the league prevents teams from indefinitely hoarding young players (waivers system).

I'm sure Dorion tried to make a trade, but teams also knew waivers were coming up.

They should just take it as a compliment that a guy that couldn't make the team was good enough to make another team. Shows how strong the Sens prospect pipeline is right now.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

The Sharks went to the WCF the year they traded for him, and literally no one expected the Sharks to have a top-3 pick in 2020.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
At LW Ottawa has Formenton,Paul,Stu and Tkachuk....He wasnt going to make the top 6 and really isnt suited for a bottom 6 role...So while a loss it was one Ottawa had to accept...Good on SJ for picking him back up,and great to see him playing good for them

Reactions: swiftwin

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
At LW Ottawa has Formenton,Paul,Stu and Tkachuk....He wasnt going to make the top 6 and really isnt suited for a bottom 6 role...So while a loss it was one Ottawa had to accept...Good on SJ for picking him back up,and great to see him playing good for them
Yeah not a huge loss for OTT. They will be fine in a few years. Never hurts having more talent though

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah not a huge loss for OTT. They will be fine in a few years. Never hurts having more talent though
Yeah ,the only player not on the team currently is Formenton...And he projects to be a middle six two way forward...Balcers is a top 6 skilled forward from what I have seen from him...And us drafting Stuezle and playing him in the LW slot along with BT made Balcers kinda the odd man out...Again kinda sad about losing a decent prospect but you have to go with what works sometimes

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

Even karlsson with significant adds (yes, plural) wouldn't get steutzle.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Basically, the Sens bought a crap ton of lottery tickets in the rebuild, but only have so many spots in their lineup to use them.

Seems like they were in the envious position that too many of these lottery tickets won big (1st/Stutzle, Norris, Batherson, Formenton, etc.), and they had to throw out the smaller winning tickets because the league prevents teams from indefinitely hoarding young players (waivers system).

I'm sure Dorion tried to make a trade, but teams also knew waivers were coming up.

They should just take it as a compliment that a guy that couldn't make the team was good enough to make another team. Shows how strong the Sens prospect pipeline is right now.

Yeah I'm sure Balcers wasn't good enough to make the Sens and it had nothing to do with plugs like Stepan, Galchenyuk, Anisimov and Paquette having one-way deals.

Dorion can't count and he lost the team a good prospect as a result. It's as simple as that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad