Confirmed Trade: [SJS/PHI] Sharks trade RD Justin Braun to the Flyers for 2019 2nd and 2020 3rd

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Braun i felt was very underrated in San Jose. He eats up alot of minutes, his stick is usually always in the right place. Philly will like him aslong as he is not part of the top pairing or expect any offense from him lol.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I think Philly fans will be very happy with Braun. If he is paired with a left handed puck mover they will be really happy and look back on this trade as a steal.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Here's the view from the Flyers and imo. Needed on the backend was solid professional s from winning organizations. They should help the young d mature faster than MacDonald and Gudas. I believe AV wanted to also change the culture of the locker room and I believe while a higher cost than what I would have paid its not significantly higher. Case in point would have felt better a two 3s for Braun.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Hmmm ... Blues could use a LD prospect like Morin. What would the Flyers want in return?

Morin will be 24 next month. He is and isn't a prospect, if that makes sense. I think we need him more as our #6-7 guy than we do anything in return. He might push Hagg out of a job, which would make a lot of Flyers fans happy. We have a surfeit of forwards now, too. Frost and Farabee will have a chance to make the team this fall, and that would mean some guys would have to go. And we are not really looking for futures now. Don't know if there is a fit, but feel free to throw some ideas out.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
BTW, if nothing else, the Flyers' defense now at least looks like it doesn't totally suck. Plus, we have a good young goalie now. That is a tremendous feeling, long/large UFA contracts and arguable trade overpayments aside. Provorov, Sanheim, Niskanen, Gostisbehere, Braun, Morin, Hagg, Schlemko, Friedman = quality depth, and perhaps a truly special blueline if the young guys continue to develop.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Put me in the camp that thinks this is a win-win for both teams. The Sharks needed cap space, and couldn't afford to pay someone that would be their #3 RD $3.8 million. He's really a fairly decent 2nd pairing guy in a vacuum, but here he obviously isn't going to slot in ahead of either Burns or Karlsson, so....

Philly, on the other hand, desperately needed RD. In Braun, they get someone to be the defensive side of a 2nd pairing, as well as a quality person and professional to help their kids develop. He's not a long term risk, since he's a UFA in 2020, and his cap hit is completely reasonable as a 2nd pairing RD. If the Flyers end up liking him and he likes Philly, I could see them extending him. Even if not, a 2nd and 3rd in different drafts really isn't some kind of backbreaking over-payment for who they're getting.

Both sides got exactly what they needed from the deal, so how is this not a win for both sides?

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Braun is a good defensemen and he'll fit a role for sure in Philly. This screams "owner wants a winner now", with a side of Giroux isn't getting any younger. I guess I've appreciated the Flyers ability to mix and match, more than the Holmgren style of throw paint at a wall. I still think the Hayes contract is going to be very arduous inside of 2-3 seasons. Yes, I realize he's 27 turning 28, but he's never cracked 60 points and never scored over 30. Back to Braun, I think the picks are fine, since it's spread out over two drafts. I'm just wondering when the cap is going to be an issue.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Gonna miss Braun, aside from clearing some much needed cap its also nice to get value while he has some

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
So locking up a second line center (albeit an overpayment) and improving the defense is a bad thing? Dude writes for ESPN and Yahoo. That’s all that needs to be said.
Actually he is my favorite hockey podcaster. Guy knows his hockey. Also I'm not sure it's meant as a straight up insult as much as a quip on Philly always going all in to make things happen. Probably a little bit of both though.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
You don't want him.........He is well on his way to busting.

This is a big year for him in the Flyers Organization and in general. Bust is a harsh word, I expect he'll be no worse than an NHL 6th or 3rd pairing penalty kill guy. Definitely was over drafted, but that's the only reason he's boom or bust right now. Injuries have played a large role, most Flyers fans that I speak with want him as our 7 this season over Hagg.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
I think Philly fans will be very happy with Braun. If he is paired with a left handed puck mover they will be really happy and look back on this trade as a steal.

The problem is it's one year for a 2nd AND 3rd. If it was just a 3rd or 2nd I'd be open, but we're losing depth big time here.

The greater concern is that Fletcher makes a habit of doing this...2nd and 3rd rounders can still turn out to be STUDS as well as Top 6 or Top 4 players..

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
This is a big year for him in the Flyers Organization and in general. Bust is a harsh word, I expect he'll be no worse than an NHL 6th or 3rd pairing penalty kill guy. Definitely was over drafted, but that's the only reason he's boom or bust right now. Injuries have played a large role, most Flyers fans that I speak with want him as our 7 this season over Hagg.

There are only a handful of better players who were drafted later than Morin in 2013. That draft was awful. And he has had to deal with major injuries.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I like all the pro Braun comments. A lot of us wanted to save those picks and would have rather used them and cap on these and future players that are going cheap like Gusev. But in the end guys like Gusev don’t win you playoff rounds.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I like all the pro Braun comments. A lot of us wanted to save those picks and would have rather used them and cap on these and future players that are going cheap like Gusev. But in the end guys like Gusev don’t win you playoff rounds.

I’ve made some pro-Braun comments in here, but let me be crystal clear: Gusev is much more likely to win you playoff rounds than Braun is.

Reactions: Steeler23

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Skilled players don’t help you win in the playoffs?

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Gusev hasn't played a single NHL game yet.
So? Is he more likely to be out of the league after a couple seasons than Braun? Maybe. But he is also more likely to be a game changer and win you playoff rounds, too.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
So? Is he more likely to be out of the league after a couple seasons than Braun? Maybe. But he is also more likely to be a game changer and win you playoff rounds, too.

Neither has Jack Hughes. Neither had Artemi Panarin in 2015. Hell, you want a Flyers specific example, neither had James Van Riemsdyk in 2009.

This is not a good argument.
He may well be Panarin Mk.II, but I was simply implying that it would be a good idea to keep the hype in check as he's never played on small rinks against NHL defences before.

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
There are only a handful of better players who were drafted later than Morin in 2013. That draft was awful. And he has had to deal with major injuries.

Uhhhh... Wennberg, Pulock, Mantha, Domi, Morrissey, Theodore, Zadorov, Dickinson, Burakovsky in the first round alone?

Not sure what kind of an impact Morin will be making in the future, but looking purely at stats, you could do a lot better. Obviously we can't project injuries, and I don't remember what kind of hype Morin had at the draft, but to say only a handful is a bit of a stretch.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Braun doesn't win you a playoff series. He probably doesn't even win you a period.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Sucks to say this as a life king Devils fan but ....Flyers are looking very good on paper . Shaping up to have one if the best D cores in the league and a very very good goaltender , If Patrick breaks out and their bottom 6 forwards are decent ... could be string contenders for next few years. Metro is going to be best division in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad