Proposal: SJS-MTL/OTT/DAL/NYI

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So I could basically every player on Montreal for Labanc since he's a 6th round pick?
And why is that? What exactly has Gambrell done to lower his value? He played his first season in the AHL last season. He was almost a PPG. He was a PPG at Denver every season. He might not be fully NHL ready but that’s fine.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
And why is that? What exactly has Gambrell done to lower his value? He played his first season in the AHL last season. He was almost a PPG. He was a PPG at Denver every season. He might not be fully NHL ready but that’s fine.

being 23 years old and not being good in the NHL?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
How about being a pro for 2 seasons and not being fully NHL ready? It’s not like 2 seasons pro is super long.

We're also talking about a guy that's a season away from being in the Ho-Sang category. If he doesn't establish himself as an NHLer this season or next pre-season, he's waiver-wire fodder.

He's been real good in the AHL, but he has to take the next step now. And Montreal certainly doesn't have more roster space than San Jose to give him room to establish himself.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
We're also talking about a guy that's a season away from being in the Ho-Sang category. If he doesn't establish himself as an NHLer this season or next pre-season, he's waiver-wire fodder.

He's been real good in the AHL, but he has to take the next step now. And Montreal certainly doesn't have more roster space than San Jose to give him room to establish himself.
Josh Ho Sang has had 4 seasons to establish himself. Not only that Gambrell’s first season in the AHL was better than any other season that Ho Sang has had in the AHL. Not even close to comparable.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Josh Ho Sang has had 4 seasons to establish himself. Not only that Gambrell’s first season in the AHL was better than any other season that Ho Sang has had in the AHL. Not even close to comparable.

It has absolutely nothing to do with how long a player has or hasn't had to establish themselves and everything to do with Gambrell requiring waivers next season. If he's not an NHLer, he's a waiver-wire player.

Last edited:

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Terrible. Just awful. Dillon is likely worth around the same as Byron so no you aren’t getting a good prospect too

As I stated. I don't believe this is Byron's value, at all. Simply stating what the likely price would be from Mtl's POV. (An unproven young prospect with a higher ceiling than Byron (so a guy that could end up in the 40-55 pts per season range) but that isn't there yet.

Sadly for the Sharks, there's only 2-3 guys in your prospect pool that fit that bill.

The reason being that the Sharks get an immediate boost of a guy that's middle 6, 20G/15A type player on a retained contract for 4 more years. Whereas Montréal would be gambling on said prospect to pan out. Which carries uncertainty and risk, thus why the "higher ceiling" that would be asked for in a trade.

But I fully agree/understand that if Chmelevski does pan out, he'll be a much better player than Byron is.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
As I stated. I don't believe this is Byron's value, at all. Simply stating what the likely price would be from Mtl's POV. (An unproven young prospect with a higher ceiling than Byron (so a guy that could end up in the 40-55 pts per season range) but that isn't there yet.

Sadly for the Sharks, there's only 2-3 guys in your prospect pool that fit that bill.

The reason being that the Sharks get an immediate boost of a guy that's middle 6, 20G/15A type player on a retained contract for 4 more years. Whereas Montréal would be gambling on said prospect to pan out. Which carries uncertainty and risk, thus why the "higher ceiling" that would be asked for in a trade.

But I fully agree/understand that if Chmelevski does pan out, he'll be a much better player than Byron is.
Trades like that don’t usually happen. Teams don’t trade one of their top ten prospects for bottom six players, even if they are solid at what they do

Reactions: Gecklund

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Trades like that don’t usually happen. Teams don’t trade one of their top ten prospects for bottom six players, even if they are solid at what they do
There I would have to disagree.

It's far from uncommon to see a team that's "on the cusp of winning" to forgo prospects for sure value when the organization sees their "window" to be shorter than the period of time believed until such time that the prospect will be an NHL impact player (if ever).

So in this scenario, based on the age of the Sharks' core group, one could say that their window is the next 3 maybe 4 years.

Will Chmelevski be an NHL impact player:
This year? No (in the AHL)
Next year? Unlikely (either still in AHL or a rookie)
In 3 years? Maybe, but probably not high-end two way just yet.
In 4 years? My money is on him putting up more points than Byron by then.

So again, if the team thinks it's "now or never", such a move would likely take place. Even if face value favors the other team "long term".

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Mtl is definitely a no.

Byron will move up and down the lineup... like when he played with drouin and domi in the third period last night.

Hes also on the teams top pk unit and hes used in shootouts.

Hes a really important player and i dont see him as expendable at all

Agreed. Given Montreal's lack of star talent up front, they need quality depth like Byron to balance their lineup. There are few (if any) players in the league that can impact the game from the 4th line like Byron can. He also wears an 'A', is very good on shootouts, is a top PK'er, can move up and down the lineup, and is one of the fastest players in the league. The optics of him playing on the 4th line doesn't reflect his value to the team.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This is 100% a reactionary post. Just thought I’d clarify that before anyone else does. I think 3 trades would really improve this team. Also I am mainly thinking of this from the Sharks perspective. I tried to think from other side but don’t know needs/availability as well as fans. If I’m 100% wrong on needs/availability, is there a way to improve the trade?

To sharks: Paul Byron
To Habs: Melker+Gambrell

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Domi-Suzuki
Drouin-Kotka-Armia
Melker-Thompson-Weal

What would the reason be that Montreal trades away a speedy two way forward who kills penalties and is a staple of the shootout while being good for 20 goals to add a fourth line winger when they already have numerous options for that job already (Nick Cousins on the big club, Dale Weise, Ryan Poehling, Matt Peca, Riley Barber in the AHL.)

I don't understand what reason Montreal would have to do this.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What would the reason be that Montreal trades away a speedy two way forward who kills penalties and is a staple of the shootout while being good for 20 goals to add a fourth line winger when they already have numerous options for that job already (Nick Cousins on the big club, Dale Weise, Ryan Poehling, Matt Peca, Riley Barber in the AHL.)

I don't understand what reason Montreal would have to do this.
Well if you actually read it you’d see the reasoning. I understand that I was mistaken. It’s not hard to see my reasoning though.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Well if you actually read it you’d see the reasoning. I understand that I was mistaken. It’s not hard to see my reasoning though.

I did read and I find your reasoning very difficult to understand. Your "reasoning" appears to be because he played on the fourth line on Saturday he is therefore "expendable" and if he's expendable than the Canadiens don't need or want to receive anything of actual value or help to them in return.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I did read and I find your reasoning very difficult to understand. Your "reasoning" appears to be because he played on the fourth line on Saturday he is therefore "expendable" and if he's expendable than the Canadiens don't need or want to receive anything of actual value or help to them in return.
He was on the fourth line. They got a cheaper fourth liner and a good prospect for someone on the fourth line. Is that hard to understand?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He was on the fourth line. They got a cheaper fourth liner and a good prospect for someone on the fourth line. Is that hard to understand?

Very.

As explained Paul Byron is one of the fastest players in the league, scores 20 goals, kills penalties and plays a solid two way game. Getting a "cheaper fourth liner" for him is an awful return and adding Gambrell who is 23 and would be slotted in behind Montreal centre prospects in Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Suzuki who are all better and younger isn't addressing any needs either.

So yeah, it's hard to understand the 'reasoning' for Montreal making such a disastrous and one-sided trade.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Very.

As explained Paul Byron is one of the fastest players in the league, scores 20 goals, kills penalties and plays a solid two way game. Getting a "cheaper fourth liner" for him is an awful return and adding Gambrell who is 23 and would be slotted in behind Montreal centre prospects in Kotkaniemi, Poehling and Suzuki who are all better and younger isn't addressing any needs either.

So yeah, it's hard to understand the 'reasoning' for Montreal making such a disastrous and one-sided trade.
Do you want to read my response to you again? I specifically said I was mistaken or is that too hard for you to understand?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Do you want to read my response to you again? I specifically said I was mistaken or is that too hard for you to understand?

Why are you being so hostile and aggressive?

Why ask a question if you are going to fly off the handle and get all riled up if you don't like the answer?

What's wrong with you?

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Paul Byron is a very effective, versatile and proven player since he's been in MTL. At 3.4M, there's no way I'd trade him unless it's for a proven prospect, and I doubt any reasonable GM would do that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Why are you being so hostile and aggressive?

Why ask a question if you are going to fly off the handle and get all riled up if you don't like the answer?

What's wrong with you?
I’m not the problem here. It’s not hard to read a post or a thread.

Took out Byron trade because obviously reading the thread is a task for people.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad