Proposal: SJS-MTL/OTT/DAL/NYI

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This is 100% a reactionary post. Just thought I’d clarify that before anyone else does. I think 3 trades would really improve this team. Also I am mainly thinking of this from the Sharks perspective. I tried to think from other side but don’t know needs/availability as well as fans. If I’m 100% wrong on needs/availability, is there a way to improve the trade?

To Sharks: JG Pageau (1M retained)
To Sens: 2nd+Roy

Tkachuk-White-Ryan
Duclair-Tierney-Brown
Boedker-Anisimov-Batherson
Ennis-Brown?-Sabourin

Tierney and Pageau pretty much fill the same roll. Pageau is a UFA after this season so getting a 2nd and a boom/bust prospect for him I think is pretty good value.

To Sharks: Julius Honka (accepts QO)
To Stars: 3rd or Antti Suomela

Obviously lineup for Stars is the same. They get a pick or an almost NHL ready center for someone who won’t resign with them.

To Sharks: Josh Ho-Sang
To Isles: Antti Suomela or 3rd

Same thing as with Stars.

Meier-Couture-Labanc
Kane-Hertl-Ho-Sang
Sorensen-Pageau-Yurtaykin
Goodrow-Thornton-Bergmann

Simek-Burns
Dillon-EK
Vlasic-Honka

I’m pretty sure this works cap wise or at least pretty close to working.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
who? no deal amigo

If Byron stays healthy hes a good & extremely useful player. He's playing on the 4th line now but he could easily move up and play with Domi as well (basically replacing Suzuki).

Reactions: Steeler23

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Number 1: Of course SJ does it, but why on earth would Montreal do this?

Number 2: Ottawa might honestly be able to get better value out of Pageau but regardless, I wouldn’t do it. Pageau isn’t what we need.

Number 3: Honka is an intriguing player but I would pass on this right now. I would rather Ferraro stay in the lineup even if it means somebody plays their off-side. If we can move Dillon I would trade a 3rd for Honka.

Number 4: A 3rd is a high price to pay for JHS, but Suomela sounds about right and I think both teams might do that.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This is 100% a reactionary post. Just thought I’d clarify that before anyone else does. I think 3 trades would really improve this team. Also I am mainly thinking of this from the Sharks perspective. I tried to think from other side but don’t know needs/availability as well as fans. If I’m 100% wrong on needs/availability, is there a way to improve the trade?

To sharks: Paul Byron
To Habs: Melker+Gambrell

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Domi-Suzuki
Drouin-Kotka-Armia
Melker-Thompson-Weal

You can throw Gambrell in honestly anywhere in that lineup. I think it would be better to give him a season in the AHL and then see where he plays out next season. Byron has been on the Habs fourth line and so I think he would be expendable.

Basically "How can I add an actually useful player by only giving up guys on my team that my board complain about every game?"

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Mtl is definitely a no.

Byron will move up and down the lineup... like when he played with drouin and domi in the third period last night.

Hes also on the teams top pk unit and hes used in shootouts.

Hes a really important player and i dont see him as expendable at all

Reactions: CTHabsfan

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
you serious? montreal gets 2 crappy C's ? where r they going to play? montreal says 100% no to this. while we have no stars (yet) we have the luxury of depth and playing a swiss army knife like byron (20 goal speed demon / great contract) on the 4th line

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Mtl is definitely a no.

Byron will move up and down the lineup... like when he played with drouin and domi in the third period last night.

Hes also on the teams top pk unit and hes used in shootouts.

Hes a really important player and i dont see him as expendable at all
I didn’t realize the plan was to move Byron up and down. I saw he was on the fourth line and figured giving a replacement fourth liner (cheaper and rental) and a pretty good prospect was a good deal for someone that wasn’t going to be on the fourth line. Would MTL move Byron at all or is he off limits? Is there a deal here at all?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I didn’t realize the plan was to move Byron up and down. I saw he was on the fourth line and figured giving a replacement fourth liner (cheaper and rental) and a pretty good prospect was a good deal for someone that wasn’t going to be on the fourth line. Would MTL move Byron at all or is he off limits? Is there a deal here at all?
he's off limits for what he brings. He doesn't stick on 4th. he moved to the 1st line in the 3rd period and scored SO winner. Habs don't have a 4th line. Mtl plays a speed game. What they need is another big body scorer and a LD. They'd sooner deal guys like weal, thompson, cousins, maybe even armia before they'd trade Byron

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
he's off limits for what he brings. He doesn't stick on 4th. he moved to the 1st line in the 3rd period and scored SO winner. Habs don't have a 4th line. Mtl plays a speed game. What they need is another big body scorer and a LD. They'd sooner deal guys like weal, thompson, cousins, maybe even armia before they'd trade Byron
Armia is someone I’d be interested in for sure. I could see the Sharks going for one of the other three if they decide to upgrade their fourth line and keep Jumbo as their 3rd line C.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Nobody is off limits, given the right return, however what you are offering for Byron is not the right return. The Canadiens already have plenty of 4th-line depth.

Reactions: HabsAddict and abo9

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Nobody is off limits, given the right return, however what you are offering for Byron is not the right return. The Canadiens already have plenty of 4th-line depth.
What would be the right return? Not necessarily looking for specific names more of a general player type.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Byron's on the 4th because Montreal rolls 4 lines, their offensive depth somewhat offsets their lack of offensive talent. He's not that available and even if he was, that offer doesn't make sense for Montreal.

Reactions: HabsAddict

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I would too but I saw Byron on the fourth line and figured he would be more available.

The problem with Montreal is they already have way too many depth pieces, fringe NHLers/AHLers. It's not a good fit for them to trade one guy against a package of players.

Melker Karlsson is just another Matthew Peca, Phil Varone, Nick Cousins which are already in the AHL. Gambrell is younger, did well in the AHL but I think the Habs would prefer a winger.

Personally, Byron is a useful player in Montreal, but the type of player that won't get good trade offers for. If we were able to trade Byron + another player (eg Varone) for a better player I'd do it. But I'm not sure any team would be ready to give up quality for depth quantity

chapeau

Jan 16, 2019
What would be the right return? Not necessarily looking for specific names more of a general player type.
2nd round pick minimum or as part of a package for more.

On the 4th line, Cousins had 30 points last year and has no spot, and that’s with Poehling healing from a concussion. If the team’s moving Byron, it’s not for 4th liners.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
2nd round pick minimum or as part of a package for more.

On the 4th line, Cousins had 30 points last year and has no spot, and that’s with Poehling healing from a concussion. If the team’s moving Byron, it’s not for 4th liners.
Gambrell is a 2nd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad