Proposal: SJS-MTL/OTT/DAL/NYI

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
What would be the right return? Not necessarily looking for specific names more of a general player type.

Probably nothing San Jose has/would give up. Montreal's needs are high end shooting talent and a top pair LH PMD. They don't need depth peices. And they aren't going to get what they need by trading Byron.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Are there any wingers that MTL would have available?

Any of them but Gallagher are probably obtainable, depending on what's being offered. Montreal has depth there. They just aren't going to trade any of them because of where they're playing. They need their depth.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
MTL needs quality, not quantity.

What we need is a bona fide upgrade on Armia/Lehkonen in the middle 6 or a bona fide upgrade on Mete/Chiarot on LD. Anything else is meh unless the deal is clearly in our favour.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
MTL needs quality, not quantity.

What we need is a bona fide upgrade on Armia/Lehkonen in the middle 6 or a bona fide upgrade on Mete/Chiarot on LD. Anything else is meh unless the deal is clearly in our favour.
If Ferraro continues playing well and Simek comes back and plays how he did last season, I could see us moving Dillon. Would a Dillon for Armia/Byron/other winger work for MTL?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
You said upgrade on Mete/Chiarot which Dillon is.

Well, I didn't say that. And as he's a rental, he's not enough of an upgrade on either to bother making a swap.

I wouldn't call him a bonafide upgrade on either given their roles.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Well, I didn't say that. And as he's a rental, he's not enough of an upgrade on either to bother making a swap.

I wouldn't call him a bonafide upgrade on either given their roles.
I would. He plays with EK. He’s been easily a top 4 D. (Maybe not to start this season but no one has looked good on the Sharks)

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I would. He plays with EK. He’s been easily a top 4 D. (Maybe not to start this season but no one has looked good on the Sharks)

Playing with someone doesn't mean you're "easily a top 4 D". And I like Dillon, but he doesn't play a D style Montreal really needs. Nothing against him.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I didn’t realize the plan was to move Byron up and down. I saw he was on the fourth line and figured giving a replacement fourth liner (cheaper and rental) and a pretty good prospect was a good deal for someone that wasn’t going to be on the fourth line. Would MTL move Byron at all or is he off limits? Is there a deal here at all?

No player is off limits... but this isnt close to byrons value to the habs. If he was moved, youd likely have to over pay to get Bergevin to do it cause coaches and management love the guy.

Reactions: HabsAddict

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
If Ferraro continues playing well and Simek comes back and plays how he did last season, I could see us moving Dillon. Would a Dillon for Armia/Byron/other winger work for MTL?

Honestly, Montreal would likely look at getting a younger "somewhat unproven but has higher ceiling" player in return for Byron. Based on the Sharks' cap situation, Montreal would likely have to retain salary for the next 4 years on Byron's contract.

Obviously, the sharks do it because they are all in, albeit favoring the Habs long term if the younger prospect pans out as forecasted.

It would probably be:

Byron (1M retained)

For:

Chmelevski
Dillon (subsequently flipped at the TDL probably)
2021 7th Rd pick (Bergy loves those)

Not saying this will be the trade, nor am I saying that the Sharks should do that (hint, favors them short term, but could go sour real quick if the return on Dillon is high enough subsequently and Chmelevski translates to the pros), just saying that's likely the pricetag.

*edit: I put Dillon here because he was mentioned previously, in retrospect, this is mostly for cap reasons (to fit in Byron's "retained AAV" of 2.4M.) Could obviously be another "cap swap" (or a dump if the Sharks want to upgrade the picks sent to the Habs).

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Honestly, Montreal would likely look at getting a younger "somewhat unproven but has higher ceiling" player in return for Byron. Based on the Sharks' cap situation, Montreal would likely have to retain salary for the next 4 years on Byron's contract.

Obviously, the sharks do it because they are all in, albeit favoring the Habs long term if the younger prospect pans out as forecasted.

It would probably be:

Byron (1M retained)

For:

Chmelevski

Not saying this will be the trade, nor am I saying that the Sharks should do that (hint, favors them short term, but could go sour real quick if the return on Dillon is high enough subsequently and Chmelevski translates to the pros), just saying that's likely the pricetag.

*edit: I put Dillon here because he was mentioned previously, in retrospect, this is mostly for cap reasons (to fit in Byron's "retained AAV" of 2.4M.) Could obviously be another "cap swap" (or a dump if the Sharks want to upgrade the picks sent to the Habs).
That is awful for Sharks.... I wouldn’t move Chmelevski for Byron straight up....

Reactions: xNogaitx

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

It would probably be:

Byron (1M retained)

For:

Chmelevski

Terrible. Just awful. Dillon is likely worth around the same as Byron so no you aren’t getting a good prospect too

Reactions: Gecklund

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't see the Sharks fixing their issues by bringing in Byron, Ho-Sang, Honka, and Pageau. Byron helps to an extent of course but we're still putting someone like Labanc in over his head in the top six and a rookie in the top nine on the right side. Pageau pushing Thornton down does make the 3rd line better but how much better when he'd still be asked to carry Sorensen and say Bergmann or Goodrow or Ho-Sang?

They need to bring in a bona fide top six winger. Byron is likely that but that deal is getting him for pennies on the dollar so I'm not believing it's enough to get a deal done.

Reactions: xNogaitx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad