Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Joe Thornton re-signs with Sharks (1 year, $5M)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That is basically what I am drawing my opinion from.

He had already rehabbed his previous knee injury to full health when the other knee got injured. I'm not concerned about that in the slightest with him on the second one. He knows what he can do, when he can do it, and has the benefit of the off-season to prepare for the season at or near 100% this time. He'll be fine.

Reactions: 209

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Thornton will have a bounce back year. He still has his on ice vision which is very top tier. Just because he is 39 doesn't mean he all of a sudden is going to forget how to pass the puck.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Yeah real jealous of that one playoff appearance in 11 years
Past it the past, 2017 Marleau chooses the Leafs over the Sharks and 2018 Tavares leaves 14 million on the table to be a Leaf instead of a Shark. That's reality, not mental gymnastics on a message board.

Powinkle

Mar 25, 2016
Chico
Past it the past, 2017 Marleau chooses the Leafs over the Sharks and 2018 Tavares leaves 14 million on the table to be a Leaf instead of a Shark. That's reality, not mental gymnastics on a message board.
And that's not proof that the Sharks are any less contenders than the leafs. Talk about mental gymnastics.

Reactions: T0uGh C0oki3

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Absolutely nothing wrong with Thornton on a $5M 1 year deal when the alternative is not signing anyone, what's the worst that can happen, he plays a handful of games then retires?

Even if the Sharks miss this year, maybe jumbo gives the green light for a trade and returns something to his franchise to jump start a rebuild, and maybe something significant if he's good until the TDL

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
And that's not proof that the Sharks are any less contenders than the leafs. Talk about mental gymnastics.
When one of your all time franchise players walks to play with a bunch of kids on an ELC? Really?

And that's before JT.

Extending a polite invitation back to reality.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
When one of your all time franchise players walks to play with a bunch of kids on an ELC? Really?

And that's before JT.

Extending a polite invitation back to reality.

Yet it should surprise no one if and when the Sharks get further in the playoffs than the Leafs next year.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

The Sharks low balled Marleau because he wanted too much term and AAV. They had no interest in bringing him back and only made the lowball offer to show fans they were trying to bring him back. Marleau would be a 4th liner in San Jose right now.

Tavares took less money because he wanted to go home; not because Toronto is a better team. If Tavares was really looking to take a discount to win, he would have taken $9-10M to sign with Tampa Bay, who is easily the best team that was pursuing him.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
The Sharks low balled Marleau because he wanted too much term and AAV. They had no interest in bringing him back and only made the lowball offer to show fans they were trying to bring him back. Marleau would be a 4th liner in San Jose right now.

Tavares took less money because he wanted to go home; not because Toronto is a better team. If Tavares was really looking to take a discount to win, he would have taken $9-10M to sign with Tampa Bay, who is easily the best team that was pursuing him.

Yeah right Marleau had 47pts last year while your juggernauts Mier and Karlsson had 55pts combined...

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah right Marleau had 47pts last year while your juggernauts Mier and Karlsson had 55pts combined...

Melker Karlsson is terrible. He should be playing in the AHL for every game of his career.

Marleau would be a 4th liner because we already have 3 F1s who are superior to him in Kane, Meier, and Hertl.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007

Meier could score 30 next season if they pair him with Jumbo. I think the Sharks will make a mistake if they don't make Jumbo the #3 center. He could feast on mismatches.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

The list of San Jose players that out scored Marleau last year:
Logan Couture

That's it one player but you think Marleau would be on your fourth line?

He didn't want to go to Tampa because they would have to sell off pieces to make room for him and their core was his own age instead of 3-4 years younger like the Leafs so his window would be shorter.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Logan Couture

He didn't want to go to Tampa because they would have to sell off pieces to make room for him and their core was his own age instead of 3-4 years younger like the Leafs so his window would be shorter.

He went to the Leafs because they were the only team willing to give him 3 years. If the Sharks matched the Leafs offer he would still be a Shark. Sharks just weren't interested.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Many Sharks fans(me included) didn't really care that Marleau left. As each year passed he was falling lower and lower on the totum pole. It was Thornton's team almost immediately after arriving in San Jose and each passing year there was someone passing Marleau by. It was Jumbo. Then it was Jumbo, and Pavs. Then it was Jumbo,Pavs, and Couture, Then it was Jumbo,Pavs,Couture, and Burns. etc etc. By the time Marleau left there was about 10 more important players on the team.

Reactions: Phu

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Logan Couture

A). Good lord are you wrong.
B). I would bet a significant amount of money that, if they play full seasons, Kane, Hertl, and Meier will all score more points than Marleau next season. Kane did outscore him last year, Hertl was 1 point behind in 3 fewer games, and Meier is likely to take a huge step forward.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
A). Good lord are you wrong.
B). I would bet a significant amount of money that, if they play full seasons, Kane, Hertl, and Meier will all score more points than Marleau next season. Kane did outscore him last year, Hertl was 1 point behind in 3 fewer games, and Meier is likely to take a huge step forward.
Scored means goals.
I did make a mistake though by not including Kane though he had 29 goals combined between SJ and Buffalo.
Will Meier, Kane, Hertl score more points ...maybe, will they score more goals...maybe Kane will probably not the other two.
If you still had Marleau he would be in your top 9 or your coach would be fired.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Disclaimer: Canucks fan but my inlaws are from SJ so I keep up with them as my 2nd team.

$5M seems a little steep but since its 1 year and they have the space its no problem.

Also it was time for SJ to move on from Marleau due to term, AAV and the fact that they had younger, cheaper players coming up. I'm happy he's worked out so far in T.O but lets not pretend like they let a 27 year old superstar walk for nothing :rollseyes: Sometimes a player leaving a team can be good for both parties...there doesn't HAVE to be sellers remorse if a player moves on and does well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad