Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Joe Thornton re-signs with Sharks (1 year, $5M)

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Well yeah, Thornton is one of the best playmakers of all time. Possibly the most under the radar superstars of the last few decades too. The guy will end up being 14th in points overall by the end of next year and he's barely talked about. If he played in Montreal or Toronto people would never shut up about him.

I'm glad he's not.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Never thought for a second that he’d pull a Marleau. He’s going to finish his career in San Jose, and he don’t care who cry about it.

Hasn’t won the Cup (yet), whatever, he’s just fine with what he has accomplished in the NHL. One of the top gentleman in the league to his team, fans and the game.

Reactions: 209

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Never thought for a second that he’d pull a Marleau. He’s going to finish his career in San Jose, and he don’t care who cry about it.

Hasn’t won the Cup (yet), whatever, he’s just fine with what he has accomplished in the NHL. One of the top gentleman in the league to his team, fans and the game.

He has had issues.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
73 points in 7 games? :) Unfortunately he will have to play a 22nd year.

I would say there is a less than 5% chance that he scores 73 points, but I wouldn’t completely rule it out as impossible. He was on a 63 point pace before his injury and he was trending upwards in his performance as well. It’s quite possible that being well rested will allow him to return and perform at an elite level once more. It’s highly unlikely, but it’s not something you can rule out.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Jumbo Joe and Marleau must be the oldest players playing now right? Even the Sedins were 1 year younger.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
No surprise that he is staying in San Jose. This thread has very few posts because everyone knew he'd re-sign.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
1 year and 5 million to much. his knees are shot. to much for a 3/4 center.

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
What?

Thornton: 65 + 82 + 50 + 36 / 78 + 82 + 79 + 47 = 0.867

Tavares: 86 + 70 + 66 + 84/82 + 78 + 77 + 84 = 0.959

Your numbers look off.

Actually Joe's numbers is even lower it's 0.81 check your calc again lol but yeah definitely not 0.98 in the last 4 seasons like the original poster said.
Tavares' 0.95 is correct.

5mil is a good deal for those numbers though

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
I wouldn’t go and say he’s shot or done from his injury until he plays
He very may have well regressed from it, but we won’t know until he’s on the ice

His game has never relied on speed to begin with

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I would say there is a less than 5% chance that he scores 73 points, but I wouldn’t completely rule it out as impossible. He was on a 63 point pace before his injury and he was trending upwards in his performance as well. It’s quite possible that being well rested will allow him to return and perform at an elite level once more. It’s highly unlikely, but it’s not something you can rule out.
I thought Teemu was done after his 16-goal season in Colorado. Then he comes "roaring back" with Anaheim following a full year of lockout-imposed rest. He was 4 years younger then than Joe is now, however.

It all depends on his rehab. I was so happy he didn't play during the playoffs. That could have ruined a veteran player we all believe can still contribute to the team's success.

I'd be pleased with 50 points this season, and ecstatic with 60+.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Thinking he stumbles out of the gate and ends up with around 30 points this year and ultimately retires. The game is just too fast for him in my opinion, but I hope I am wrong.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Mad respect for Thornton. Was willing to take a pay cut if Tavares came. Since Tavares didn't, he signed a 1 year deal to basically use up the cap for only this year. Smart move.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Thinking he stumbles out of the gate and ends up with around 30 points this year and ultimately retires. The game is just too fast for him in my opinion, but I hope I am wrong.
Maybe, but Joe's game is much more about possession, puck protection, vision, cycling, finding the open man, hockey sense, positioning, reach, etc. than speed. Regardless, he's hardly a tortoise out there.

I worry more about his rehab at his age than his age specifically. Two knee injuries in less then 2 years is no joke at 39.

Reactions: Deen

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Thornton's probably going to come out of the gate on fire since he'll finally be fully healthy and looking to prove himself once more.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad