Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Joe Thornton re-signs with Sharks (1 year, $5M)

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Nice to see him fight off father time for another season. Good luck Jumbo Joe!

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Not good for my Oilers but happy too see Jumbo one more year. You need to be really good to play his game in today’s NHL with only moderate mobility. Guy just uses every inch of free ice.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Just point out to the haters

Tavares. 319 gp--309 pts--.95 ppg
Jumbo. 236 gp--233 pts--.98 ppg

Id look at possession numbers but jumbo has been one of the best.

Would i take 91? Yes, because of longevity and hes close enough tp ppg to be one of the best in the league. But jumbo at 5 mill will have a similar impact this year as long as the knee is fairly healthy.

What time frame are those numbers from?

Reactions: jasonleaffan

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
just curious. why does this guy always sign under market. I mean he is elite. through his 30's he's been a ppg player.
he's not like most players. especially nba. he would rather take less and have a competitive team. he's still got more money then he knows what to do with

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
nice

sharks actually have no depth on offense tho lmao

What? They have very strong depth on offense and strong top end talent on defense. They lack top end talent on offense and depth on defense.

Hertl-Couture-Donskoi
Kane-Thornton-Pavelski
Meier-Tierney-LaBanc

116 points from the 3rd line is pretty strong.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Good for Jumbo.
Seems like a great atmosphere there, doubt i'd be in a hurry to leave there either.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I figured this deal would be signed if SJ missed out on Tavares. Joe's slowing down and injuries are starting to take their toll, but at 5M 1 year he's still a quality top 6 centre. Hard to complain about that when Bozak just got 5M.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Just point out to the haters

Tavares. 319 gp--309 pts--.95 ppg
Jumbo. 236 gp--233 pts--.98 ppg

Id look at possession numbers but jumbo has been one of the best.

Would i take 91? Yes, because of longevity and hes close enough tp ppg to be one of the best in the league. But jumbo at 5 mill will have a similar impact this year as long as the knee is fairly healthy.

What time frame are those numbers from?

It seems like the last 4 years, but the math is wrong. Thornton has 286 games over last 4 years, not 236 (47+79+82+78). Points are right, so he is actually at a .81 ppg. And with noticeable slow dip the past 2 years. BTW, not knocking him at all. I'd much rather have Thornton than Bozak who my team just signed for the same money. He's a legend and still a great player. But he is not comparable to Tavares any longer.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I figured this deal would be signed if SJ missed out on Tavares. Joe's slowing down and injuries are starting to take their toll, but at 5M 1 year he's still a quality top 6 centre. Hard to complain about that when Bozak just got 5M.

Jumbo was re-signing with the Sharks either way. It's just he would have signed for even less than he already did.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
just curious. why does this guy always sign under market. I mean he is elite. through his 30's he's been a ppg player.
uh, last year he only scored 50 pts in 79 games, this past year he had 36 pts in 47 and hes coming off back to back seasons of major knee injuries and he turns 39 tomorrow

I would hardly call this under market. He hasnt played hockey since January. A slow 39 center with bad knees now and hes likely a 50ish pt center.

Not sure how much more than $5+ mil he was going to get in today's NHL of speed

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Not the Joe of the past, near the endoof his career , they probably don't get 5 million of production out of him this season , but they have the cap , and it's one year and he will keep Kane in line. I wonder if Sharks go after De Haan they're lacking on defence imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad