Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Joe Thornton re-signs with Sharks (1 year, $5M)

tmunnuch

Jan 23, 2007
I'm truly surprised he wouldn't have signed with a real contender.

Yea me too. Sharks are a pretty good team, but I'd think there are better odds out there. I guess he's really set on winning with San Jose or bust. Kind of commendable.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
It seems like the last 4 years, but the math is wrong. Thornton has 286 games over last 4 years, not 236 (47+79+82+78). Points are right, so he is actually at a .81 ppg. And with noticeable slow dip the past 2 years. BTW, not knocking him at all. I'd much rather have Thornton than Bozak who my team just signed for the same money. He's a legend and still a great player. But he is not comparable to Tavares any longer.

I blame a smudge on my phone calculator lol. Thanks for the correction, however, in terms of on ice impact i disagree they are not comparable.

Reactions: Phu

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
And it's his 39th birthday today.

1427 points in 1493 NHL games, what a legend. First round hall of famer, class act, and great sense of humour. If I had to pick a player to spend a year with on a deserted island it'd be Jumbo Joe.
It'd be nice if he got to 1500 in both categories.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Just point out to the haters

Tavares. 319 gp--309 pts--.95 ppg
Jumbo. 236 gp--233 pts--.98 ppg

Id look at possession numbers but jumbo has been one of the best.

The scary part is JT is a good decade younger than Jumbo. Just imagine if his pace stays roughly the same... insane.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
just curious. why does this guy always sign under market. I mean he is elite. through his 30's he's been a ppg player.

That's the thing; he's not a ppg player anymore. Last season he got himself an 8 million dollar contract, which was pretty much the opposite of under market. It was an over market deal. But it was for a single year, slightly unusual for an older player in love with the city.

He's coming off an OK season and based on his age, the injury factor and the production, I would say he's probably worth 6M on a one-year deal.

San Jose treated him well and spent the money last year, and maybe a gentleman's agreement was achieved where Thornton doesn't intend to go anywhere and is now ready to take less money. A smart way to circumvent cap issues. Rather than signing the guy long term and have the AAV be important down the road, you sign him to one year deals.

This is what happens when both the player and the organization are smart and respect each other.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Still not bad for someone in their twilight vs someone in their prime.
Well yeah, Thornton is one of the best playmakers of all time. Possibly the most under the radar superstars of the last few decades too. The guy will end up being 14th in points overall by the end of next year and he's barely talked about. If he played in Montreal or Toronto people would never shut up about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad