SJHL Humboldt Broncos bus crash | 16 Killed, 13 Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Just because you didn't intend for a result to happen, doesn't make it an accident. You don't accidentally run a stop sign.

If you run a stop sign, it is because you weren't paying attention while driving a motor vehicle. That isn't an accident, it's negligence[/quote]

An accident is literally any incident that happens unintentionally. One's negligence can be the cause of an accident. The two words don't have to be completely separate. In fact, most accidents occur because of negligence.

Can you name one?

Mechanical problem

He missed 3 different signals telling him he needed to stop.

Ok and? How does that prove he intentionally ignored a stop sign? And what were the 3 signals?

Thanks, but your opinion doesn't mean anything. Learn what an accident is, then we'll talk again

I actually do know what an accident is and this was one. Just an FYI, nobody will take your opinion seriously either if you want to continue to be condescending.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
An accident is literally any incident that happens unintentionally. One's negligence can be the cause of an accident. The two words don't have to be completely separate. In fact, most accidents occur because of negligence.

Mechanical problem

Ok and? How does that prove he intentionally ignored a stop sign? And what were the 3 signals?

I actually do know what an accident is and this was one. Just an FYI, nobody will take your opinion seriously either if you want to continue to be condescending.
Well said and truthful.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Large scale tragedies are always going to get more attention and sympathy than individual ones. It's just how it works. Especially when that tragedy has so many horrific deaths and injuries, to young people, in a small, close knit community.... It helps big time that so many very well off individuals in the hockey community, were in their shoes at some point in their lives/careers... So this hits home for a lot of people. A lot of wealthy, generous people(hockey is not a poor man's game).
My dilemma is exactly with the intentions of the wealthy interests involved, but upon reflection, I understand it is not my place to judge, nor did I donate. So I'll just shut up, for the sake of the memories of the victims, and the health of the survivors. Please accept my apology for derailing the topic, and I am so sorry for the victims and their families. Let such a tragedy never happen again.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Cowards always run away when their stupidity gets exposed. I never expected you to offer a rebuttal.

You keep using the word accident, and yet I don't think you know what it means. There is no way he accidentally ran a stop sign. If he ran the stop sign (which he appears to have done), he did so because he saw the sign, and choose to ignore it, OR didn't see the warning, the flashing light, or the sign. If he missed all three of those indicators, the he was negligent in the responsibilities he has as the operator of a motor vehicle. There is no "accident". This entire thing was preventable had the truck stopped as the law dictates.

Whether you run a stop sign, or drive drunk, you have made the choice to put yourself and others at risk.

And your point is? You can't be responsible for the deaths of 16 people, and say "oh geez, my bad for missing that stop sign. I made a poor choice to not stop. Oh well. Sorry, see you later". Mistake or poor judgment, it doesn't matter. People need to be held accountable for their actions, not given a free pass because they did something wrong by "accident".

So how come if I miss a stop sign from not paying attention I get a ticket, yet if I drive drunk I'm put in jail and lose my license?
Why is the term "car accident" even a thing then?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Just because you didn't intend for a result to happen, doesn't make it an accident. You don't accidentally run a stop sign. If you run a stop sign, it is because you weren't paying attention while driving a motor vehicle. That isn't an accident, it's negligence

Can you name one?

He missed 3 different signals telling him he needed to stop.

Thanks, but your opinion doesn't mean anything. Learn what an accident is, then we'll talk again

One hell of a condescending guy who he himself needs to read up what an "accident is"
Dictionary definition:
"an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury."

So unless you think he expected to run the stop sign, purposely ran the stop sign, and meant to hit the bus, then it is, by definition, an accident....

Reactions: IBleedOil247

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
"Accidentally" and "negligently" are not synonymous, particularly in a statutory legal framework. Lack of intention by itself does not constitute a true accident, there must also be lack of fault.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Sorry, asinine? What makes these kids any different from the multitude of other Canadians (or people on general) that, on a daily basis, experience savage circumstances in their lives? Whose cases do not get media attention and do not go viral like this one did? It was a horrific event, no doubt.

Because they're Hockey players and Hockey is almost a national religion.

What makes Canadians better than anyone else? Should the western world be taxed at 99% so we can spread our wealth to poorer countries?

Better yet, you want to talk about equity, why not donate all of your belongings and wealth to the third world?

7000 Americans die per day, but 9/11 made more of an impact than almost all days in America, that's just how humans are, if something is more tragic we are more drawn to it.

And 12 million actually isn't a lot of money, if you are going to start giving it out, you'll quickly reach into the 100s of thousands of people who "need it" and they'll all get a nice sum of around $100.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
What kind of injuries do the three that were released have?

I'm still not entirely sure which three players were released, but if I had to guess I'd say Tyler Smith, Derek Patter and Ryan Straschnitzki (he was more relocated than released as he is in a Calgary hospital now). Here's the summary of the injuries of those three that I posted earlier in the thread

Derek Patter: Stable and was in surgery to repair a broken leg

Ryan Straschnitzki: Suffered a broken neck, back and clavicle. Had surgery on his back, likely will never walk again

Tyler Smith: Has a broken collarbone and shoulder blade, a punctured lung, has vascular and never damage to his left side, but is able to talk and swallow on his own.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
And we're STILL getting auctions designed to benefit the Humboldt community, even with the end of the GoFundMe campaign for the Broncos.

The AHL's Rochester Americans will be offering a game-worn jersey from D Nathan Paetsch(who was BORN in Humboldt)for a silent auction during Game 3 of their playoff series against Syracuse Wednesday(4/25). They're also going to be taking cash donations throughout the game. The Amerks' website( Rochester Americans (AHL) )has some more info, including comments from Paetsch.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If you run a stop sign, it is because you weren't paying attention while driving a motor vehicle. That isn't an accident, it's negligence

Mechanical problem

Damn you just got told son. @Mike Lowry

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018

False. An accident is something that one has no control over. I'm willing to say the truck driver didn't intend to kill 16 people when he didn't stop, but the collision occurred because he didn't stop. And there is no reason he didn't stop. If he stops, this doesn't happen. It is not as the intersection had a traffic light that malfunctioned and gave all directions the Green Light. That could be an accident. Not stopping at a stop sign wasn't an accident.

Mechanical problem

Rather generic, but not surprised you again can't get something right. What "mechanical problem" would there be? See, brakes on trucks are different from breaks on a car. In a car, the brakes are applied by a pressurized line. If you lose pressure, you will lose your breaks. Trucks are the opposite. The pressure is there to keep the brakes open. Lose pressure, the breaks lock up. Breaks can get "soft", and lose some of their stopping ability if they start to over heat from continual usage. That can be a problem when going up and down hills. Not a problem in Saskatchewan.

So, again, can you name one?

There was a warning sign ahead of the intersection noting the stop sign. There was a red flashing light noting the stop sign. And there was the actual stop sign. He can't have missed all three and claimed it was an accident. When your mom tells you to clean your room for the 3rd time, does she give you a break when you say you didn't hear her?

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I'll take advice from someone who is proving to be this ignorant on the issue at hand. Don't like me picking you you? Then stop posting stupid things.

If you think this was an accident, then you believe that nothing could have been done to prevent it. And that simply isn't true.

So how come if I miss a stop sign from not paying attention I get a ticket, yet if I drive drunk I'm put in jail and lose my license?

Um, because there are different levels of punishment in the criminal code? The truck driving in this case ran a stop sign and will be going to jail. The head coach of an OHL hockey team has been caught drinking and driving and has never gone to jail or lost his licence.

Why is the term "car accident" even a thing then?

Same reason Global Warming us one I suppose. Just because a name has been given to something, doesn't mean the words in that term accurately reflect the event it's describing.

One hell of a condescending guy who he himself needs to read up what an "accident is"
Dictionary definition:
"an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury."

So unless you think he expected to run the stop sign, purposely ran the stop sign, and meant to hit the bus, then it is, by definition, an accident....

Yes, yes I do. There were 3 different notifications that tells drivers to stop. He didn't stop. If he stops, there is no collision.

It's really quite simple kids. Ask your parents to explain it to you

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I'm glad the focus has turned to semantics. Kids died, and here we are on HFBoards arguing over whether or not the term accident should be used.

Nice. /s

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
False. An accident is something that one has no control over. I'm willing to say the truck driver didn't intend to kill 16 people when he didn't stop, but the collision occurred because he didn't stop. And there is no reason he didn't stop. If he stops, this doesn't happen. It is not as the intersection had a traffic light that malfunctioned and gave all directions the Green Light. That could be an accident. Not stopping at a stop sign wasn't an accident.

Rather generic, but not surprised you again can't get something right. What "mechanical problem" would there be? See, brakes on trucks are different from breaks on a car. In a car, the brakes are applied by a pressurized line. If you lose pressure, you will lose your breaks. Trucks are the opposite. The pressure is there to keep the brakes open. Lose pressure, the breaks lock up. Breaks can get "soft", and lose some of their stopping ability if they start to over heat from continual usage. That can be a problem when going up and down hills. Not a problem in Saskatchewan.

So, again, can you name one?

There was a warning sign ahead of the intersection noting the stop sign. There was a red flashing light noting the stop sign. And there was the actual stop sign. He can't have missed all three and claimed it was an accident. When your mom tells you to clean your room for the 3rd time, does she give you a break when you say you didn't hear her?

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I'll take advice from someone who is proving to be this ignorant on the issue at hand. Don't like me picking you you? Then stop posting stupid things.

If you think this was an accident, then you believe that nothing could have been done to prevent it. And that simply isn't true.

Um, because there are different levels of punishment in the criminal code? The truck driving in this case ran a stop sign and will be going to jail. The head coach of an OHL hockey team has been caught drinking and driving and has never gone to jail or lost his licence.

Same reason Global Warming us one I suppose. Just because a name has been given to something, doesn't mean the words in that term accurately reflect the event it's describing.

Yes, yes I do. There were 3 different notifications that tells drivers to stop. He didn't stop. If he stops, there is no collision.

It's really quite simple kids. Ask your parents to explain it to you

You seriously need to STFU. 15 people are dead but you need to win an argument about semantics.

Tight life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad