Confirmed with Link: Simon Despres signs PTO with Laval (12-2)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He has been decent at times, however he was outplayed by guys like Ouellet, Valiev, Lernout and Moravcik. Was pulling for the guy given what he's gone through with concussions, but there is simply no room for him.

Ward had a better camp as a PTO, yet depres is the only one who still has a chance to earn a contract.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Ward had a better camp as a PTO, yet depres is the only one who still has a chance to earn a contract.
Despres has a chance to get an AHL contract. Do you think Ward would be interested in one of those?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Despres has a chance to get an AHL contract. Do you think Ward would be interested in one of those?

My guess would be that he wouldn't accept an ahl contract. Meanwhile, depres has shown absolutely nothing that would want me to keep him in either league.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

It would be short sighted to make decisions based on the training camp alone.

The case for keeping Despres is that there's a payoff if he improves.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Despres is slow and has looked quite bad , how do we benefit from keeping him?(besides helping the tank)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Despres is slow and has looked quite bad , how do we benefit from keeping him?(besides helping the tank)

There's no benefit to keeping him in Montreal.

However, he may improve in the long run by going to Laval. Despres had genuine talent, but his career was undermined by injuries. If he never recovers, then he never sees the Habs and it's a moot point. However, if he does recover, then the Habs have an additional French Canadian player on the roster who is effective. That is good for marketing, good for the fans, and good to decrease the pressure on some of the other players.

Reactions: Fixxer

Jul 6, 2016
Després has two games to prove that he is better than Benn. If not, he is gone.

We have

Reilly-Petry
Mete-Juulsen
Alzner-Schlemko
Ouellet-Benn-Després (one of them will be dropped if they keep 8)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Després has two games to prove that he is better than Benn. If not, he is gone.

We have

Reilly-Petry
Mete-Juulsen
Alzner-Schlemko
Ouellet-Benn-Després (one of them will be dropped if they keep 8)

If we keep 8 dmen, that means we keep 13 forwards. And that means one of Scherbak or DLR is on waivers or traded.

Jul 6, 2016
If we keep 8 dmen, that means we keep 13 forwards. And that means one of Scherbak or DLR is on waivers or traded.

Right. DLR or Scherbak could be dealt for players who are still waivers free and can go to AHL, or for youngsters in Juniors or good picks.

It's up to both DLR and Scherbak to show a pulse, some passion. How come we have to rely on Plekky and Chaput to play 4th line ?

Jul 6, 2016
When it comes to our end he's look about as good as any of our other d.

That's scary.

The D is way more mobile and better than last year with Reilly, a more experienced Mete, a healthy Schlemko, a more experienced Juulsen, Petry, Ouellet. Alzner is already better.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The D is way more mobile and better than last year with Reilly, a more experienced Mete, a healthy Schlemko, a more experienced Juulsen, Petry, Ouellet. Alzner is already better.

I kind of changed my mind since this morning. I'm ok with Després still being here, because the message needs to be sent to Benn, Alzner and Schlemko that they aren't gong to make the team by default.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Mathias Brunet told on 91.9 that Després had a 2 way offer from the Habs (he allegedly directly spoke to him) but that he's not taking it as he awaits other team's potential 1 way offer(s). I guess they let him stay because Habs haven't pulled the plug on that 2 way deal, that said, no biggie ladies and gentlemen. I bet he won't be anywhere but in Laval, soon enough.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

There's a payoff if anyone improves. It might be unfair, but depres is just like anybody else who does not have a roster spot secured. They are trying to make an impression in the same tight window.

The only thing depres has going for him is being a veteran of near 200 nhl games. The upside is not much more than he is right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Mathias Brunet told on 91.9 that Després had a 2 way offer from the Habs (he allegedly directly spoke to him) but that he's not taking it as he awaits other team's potential 1 way offer(s). I guess they let him stay because Habs haven't pulled the plug on that 2 way deal, that said, no biggie ladies and gentlemen. I bet he won't be anywhere but in Laval, soon enough.
I'll happily have him on the top pair.
The objective is to suck this season, let's stop pretending otherwise.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
He has been decent at times, however he was outplayed by guys like Ouellet, Valiev, Lernout and Moravcik. Was pulling for the guy given what he's gone through with concussions, but there is simply no room for him.

Of course, signing him doesn’t mean he will play in the NHL right away. He could be a good addition to the Rockets.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'll happily have him on the top pair.
The objective is to suck this season, let's stop pretending otherwise.
I'd suggest the objective is to "grow" this season...

But I suppose we all have our own expectations this year.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Of course, signing him doesn’t mean he will play in the NHL right away. He could be a good addition to the Rockets.

Even with Laval we have a lot of D. Taormina, potentially Valiev/Lernout if they clear waivers, Sklenicka, Moravcik and then guys like Maxim Lamarche, Ryan Culkin, TJ Melancon and Adam Plant.

Things could change if Valiev or Lernout get claimed, or the Czech guys go back to play in the Czech Republic.. however right now I don't see any room for him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd suggest the objective is to "grow" this season...

But I suppose we all have our own expectations this year.

No, the objective is to suck and end with the best chance of getting #1 overall.
The kids will get experience, and we want guys like Hudon to keep developing, it goes without saying. Still, the objective of the team should be to tank.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No, the objective is to suck and end with the best chance of getting #1 overall.
The kids will get experience, and we want guys like Hudon to keep developing, it goes without saying. Still, the objective of the team should be to tank.
Like I said...everyone has their own definition of what objectives they have for this team.

"Sucking" is not something I ever want to shoot for.

But again, that's just me.

Reactions: EveryDay

Jul 6, 2016

I guess Ward and his agent are seeking better opportunities elsewhere. And Habs have lots of depth on the wings.

Jul 6, 2016
Like I said...everyone has their own definition of what objectives they have for this team.

"Sucking" is not something I ever want to shoot for.

But again, that's just me.

No NHL team are aiming at that... Maybe TO with Shanahan 3 years ago were really trying hard to sink their ship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad