Simmonds and Voracek time to go

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Draisaitl played half a season at 19, with 9 points in 37 games. Obviously a flop and Edmonton should have given up on him.
Of course, the next season he became a solid starter, 42, 50, 55 ES points and 36 in 43 games this year.
Oh yeah, he was a 3rd pick in the draft.

I'd trade Ghost, Frost, Laughton and our 2020 1st.

i wouldn't trade any of our firsts until we've established ourselves as a rock solid playoff team,

Reactions: DaphneLion

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don't want Giroux at C, but we don't need him to.

Couturier
Patrick/Frost
Frost/Patrick
UFA 4C

That makes sense for the top three lines for now and the future.

Patrick and Frost aren't good enough to be No. 2s next season. The best teams in the Eastern Conference have absolute monsters at 2C.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Because the cap dump is not a 1 year thing. It's 4 and a half years!!!!!!!!!!

What's wrong with just saying "no...Philly will never take Lucic"????

:confused:

Well, this is an offseason idea anyway, so forget the half.

There's nothing wrong with saying it, but the notion was to assume the negative value to get a better price on the thing you're after, knowing that you can afford to hold that negative value under certain conditions (re: NMC, ~1.5 million to 2 million retained) because it will cause no harm in the short or long term. They have more than $30 million in cap space next season with some big RFAs to resign, but they'll still have a huge amount of room for the foreseeable future-they're in a rare position of actually being able to take a cap dump if it means getting a good piece along with it. If there was any concern about eventually not being able to resign talent because of that cap dump, it's a different story.

In the context of a broader situation, I laid the idea out pretty logically. You do the favor to get the cheapest price on a fantastic player. It's a non-starter on your end, which is a fine position to have, but given the team's cap situation, I don't know what you'd be upholding other than principle.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Even considering age, position and cost, I'm not sure I'd take Draisatl over Panarin.

Draisaitl is very good but he still gets a lot of ice time with McDavid.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There isn't anyone in the league who can do what Ghost can for such a low cap hit.
Exactly.

He's such a rare and unique player, with game-breaking ability, and that's before considering his contract. On top of that, he's not even close to a detriment defensively, so there's no excuse for thinking he's expendable. He simply isn't.

This is simply a reactionary and shortsighted suggestion by the people actively wanting him traded. I don't seem to remember too many people wanting to trade him this offseason, after he had a great year, so all this "trade Ghost" garbage is based solely on this incomplete up-and-down season for him, where nearly the entire team is a disaster.

And even just look at the his usage this year...
~30% was played with Provorov
~50% was with Folin, Hagg, or MacDonald
~20% with Sanheim or Gudas

He needs to be on the top pair with Provorov and left alone. That pair proved to be elite last year and the fact that they've been tried so little this year is a joke. He's a much better fit there than Sanheim and Sanheim is much better off at LD.

He's also a lot like Voracek where his points look much worse than his true quality of play would suggest because of the failures of the PP. He's pacing for 15 this year when he had 33 last year.

Point is, trading him would be a massive mistake and there's no excuse for it. You don't trade away, and especially sell-low, on a player like this. You build around him.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Trading Ghost is a horrible idea. End of story.

Ghost for Trouba isnt that crazy. I doubt Jets get that calibre player back, but is he comes with a 7 mill extension, I would do it.

Provy Trouba
Sanheim Gudas
Morin Myers
Haag

Yes please

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Exactly.

He's such a rare and unique player, with game-breaking ability, and that's before considering his contract. On top of that, he's not even close to a detriment defensively, so there's no excuse for thinking he's expendable. He simply isn't.

This is simply a reactionary and shortsighted suggestion by the people actively wanting him traded. I don't seem to remember too many people wanting to trade him this offseason, after he had a great year, so all this "trade Ghost" garbage is based solely on this incomplete up-and-down season for him, where nearly the entire team is a disaster.

And even just look at the his usage this year...
~30% was played with Provorov
~50% was with Folin, Hagg, or MacDonald
~20% with Sanheim or Gudas

He needs to be on the top pair with Provorov and left alone. That pair proved to be elite last year and the fact that they've been tried so little this year is a joke. He's a much better fit there than Sanheim and Sanheim is much better off at LD.

He's also a lot like Voracek where his points look much worse than his true quality of play would suggest because of the failures of the PP. He's pacing for 15 this year when he had 33 last year.

Point is, trading him would be a massive mistake and there's no excuse for it. You don't trade away, and especially sell-low, on a player like this. You build around him.

Ghost hasnt flashed any game-breaking ability this season and I cant figure out why. I honestly wonder if he had a good summer training wise. Then again it could just be that Hak neutered the entire time and their balls havent grown back yet.

Reactions: Doodootheclown

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Even considering age, position and cost, I'm not sure I'd take Draisatl over Panarin.

Draisaitl is very good but he still gets a lot of ice time with McDavid.
Trading for Draisaitl would only make sense if Patrick was involved. Otherwise you have Couturier, Draisaitl, and Patrick and none of those three should be 3C long term.
You need quality wingers too, after all.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
The image of Gostisbehere camped out at the wing table going to town is seared into my memory. Has anyone seen him with his shirt off and if so please compare to Mike Richards.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Trading for Draisaitl would only make sense if Patrick was involved. Otherwise you have Couturier, Draisaitl, and Patrick and none of those three should be 3C long term.
You need quality wingers too, after all.

With how bad their cap situation is, it might be feasable.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ghost hasnt flashed any game-breaking ability this season and I cant figure out why. I honestly wonder if he had a good summer training wise. Then again it could just be that Hak neutered the entire time and their balls havent grown back yet.
I wouldn't say that.... there's definitely been flashes of the same ability he showed last year, but it definitely hasn't been as often or as consistent.

There's been times where he's made an insane play but it didn't end up in the net for whatever reason, so it's forgotten. But they're the type of things where, if they had ended up as a goal, they would've been a big deal.

I also think he's had to reign it in a bit this year because of the trash he's played with. You'd think he'd be the one going nuts while they back him up, but there's been so many times where he's the guy back defending the odd man rush.

Regardless, my point is I'm personally not worried about him at all. This hasn't been a great year for him, but there's nothing I've seen that makes me worried about his future play. He's still himself, but we're just not seeing it right now.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
he has failed to duplicate the success he had as a center away from Mcdavid in that playoff run. Another big fail by them.
It's laughable that he's probably their best winger. Their top 6 is a joke.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
its one of those things that is quietly getting swept under the rug when people discuss about how bad it is in Edmonton. No one wants to mention how average Drai looks away from McDavid.
Can you blame him though? He isn't Crosby or McDavid. He needs some support. And when I look at their roster, I don't see one top 6 winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad