Simmonds and Voracek time to go

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Without even getting into the fact that guys probably don't develop that amazingly playing third-line minutes in the AHL, we are never going to maximize the NHL point totals of the 20+ prospects we have. Nor should it be an objective.

It's not a requirement that the guys you play on your 4th line have no offensive ability.

Playing with 34-year-old Ruslan Fedotenko as a 20-year-old didn't do anything to develop Sean Couturier's offensive game but he developed anyway (while still being a huge contributor).
It's not about ability, it's about icetime.

I'm sure you were unhappy with Lindblom being on the 4th line, right? Well the reason we wanted him moved up the lineup is the same reason we don't want top 9 prospects on the 4th line. It's just a waste to have them playing so little time.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It's not about ability, it's about icetime.

I'm sure you were unhappy with Lindblom being on the 4th line, right? Well the reason we wanted him moved up the lineup is the same reason we don't want top 9 prospects on the 4th line. It's just a waste to have them playing so little time.

He's better off on the 4th line than playing in the AHL. The real disgrace was NAK playing well and only getting 5 minutes a night, but I assume a non-Hakstol coach won't do that.

What I really want is to end the cycle of signing Weise types to add "grit" or whatever for the next 5 years. Give the next Twarynski/Strome/Sushko whoever 10 minutes a night instead.

For instance I like Michael Raffl and it won't be the worst thing ever to bring him back, but it's kinda pointless. Same for Varone.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
He's better off on the 4th line than playing in the AHL. The real disgrace was NAK playing well and only getting 5 minutes a night, but I assume a non-Hakstol coach won't do that.

What I really want is to end the cycle of signing Weise types to add "grit" or whatever for the next 5 years. Give the next Twarynski/Strome/Sushko whoever 10 minutes a night instead.

For instance I like Michael Raffl and it won't be the worst thing ever to bring him back, but it's kinda pointless. Same for Varone.
Raffl better not be back.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
the mistake was giving jake and giroux big contracts, that's what hurting us right now, that's why our defense is a mess because right now we are relying on a younger d to pick up the slack and it's not working. fletch has to improve the d core and let the younger forwards play and that's why i want giroux and jake's contracts gone, so we can have the cap space to improve the d and maybe get a goalie and not rush hart. that's my opinion.

We have all the cap room we need. We can sign anyone we want. This has been true for a couple years now even while we were carrying MacDonald, Lehtera and Filppula.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Personally, I see if Farabee goes back to college next year.....then steps into the NHL the following year...possibly replacing JVR or Lindblom if Oskar has not stepped up to where they want.

Right now are top two centers are G and C. No reason they can't be again next season. Long term I want Frost at center, but if he starts off as a LW, that's OK. Without even adding any free agents, you can have an improved forward lineup for 19-20.

JVR-G-TK
Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek
Frost-Patrick-NAK
Laughton-Vorobyev-Weise
It's really obvious how adding that 1 UFA like a Stone or Panarin makes a huge difference...pushing NAK down to the 4th line and Weise out.

Let's go ahead and re-sign Raffl and move Weise somehow.

MacDonald and Weise no longer being Flyers next season would be really pleasant.
No to all 3. We have 4th liners who can play over Raffl and Weise now. And with adding Myers and Morin, AMac needs to be gone.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Personally, I see if Farabee goes back to college next year.....then steps into the NHL the following year...possibly replacing JVR or Lindblom if Oskar has not stepped up to where they want.

It's really obvious how adding that 1 UFA like a Stone or Panarin makes a huge difference...pushing NAK down to the 4th line and Weise out.

No to all 3. We have 4th liners who can play over Raffl and Weise now. And with adding Myers and Morin, AMac needs to be gone.

If it were up to me

Gone- Raffl, Mac, Hagg, Weise, Lehtera

Re-signed- Gudas

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Raffl is a good hockey player. Why dont people know this? Never hurts the team. Always good defensively. Chips in offensively fine relative to usage.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Raffl is a good hockey player. Why dont people know this? Never hurts the team. Always good defensively. Chips in offensively fine relative to usage.

Yeah he does, and I won't go ape-shit if he's back. However, he's probably reaching that point where those gritty, hard-working guys with limited pure ability hit a wall and the points completely disappear, a la Matt Read last year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah he does, and I won't go ape-**** if he's back. However, he's probably reaching that point where those gritty, hard-working guys with limited pure ability hit a wall and the points completely disappear, a la Matt Read last year.

Thats possible, but I dont think the org has that many better options for 4th line wingers next season. Hes miles better than Weise.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, I know. So do Mac, Hagg, and Weise and unfortunately I see all of them being here until they run out.

But once their contracts are done, he's the only one I'd be interested in re-signing.

I doubt we need him still at that point. I think we add a dman this summer and Myers will also be up plus Morin.

Provy
Ghost
Sanheim
Myers
Morin
Summer DMan
Hagg
Friedman

Etc.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
1. Sign JVR
2. Get Gudas as a piece in the Coburn trade

Probably toss up between Raffl and getting Sam Gagner.

I totally agree with both of these. I am a Gudas & Raffl fan. They are the type of glue guys that are on winning teams. And both are young enough, and cheap enough, that they won't turn into pumpkins unexpectedly. They are also at a level where they shouldn't garner the dumb money commitments like a Seabrook, and are replaceable from within thus protecting the team from itself.

I'm happy with both of these guys on the team and think they have places and rolls for a few years more pending the acquisition of high-end talent and roster crunch of deserving rookies. These are the guys that should set the bar for in camp competition to make the big club. Screw AMac, Manning, Jori, Weise types. If a kid can beat out Raffl or Gudas in camp*, then that kid is ready to play in the NHL.

*Modest adjustments made for kid-try-hard-against-scrubs vs. vets-start-camp-so-slow

I was late to add the Edit: #OHT.
I just wanted to dance on some graves with the previous post.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We do know this. But NAK needs to play doesn't he? Neither should be on the 3rd line...and NAK and Laughton as wingers on the 4th line makes more sense than re-signing Raffl for 2-3 million.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I doubt we need him still at that point. I think we add a dman this summer and Myers will also be up plus Morin.

Provy
Ghost
Sanheim
Myers
Morin
Summer DMan
Hagg
Friedman

Etc.

Meh... I think the chance we find a defensemen better than Gudas this summer is pretty slim. He's a vet, top 4 quality, cheap, and won't cost us assets to acquire.

I'm perfectly fine with our D ending up as...
Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers
... until we're forced to change it.

Hagg should f*** off and I doubt Friedman will be superior to Gudas, so I'm fine with sticking with our known quantity.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Meh... I think the chance we find a defensemen better than Gudas this summer is pretty slim. He's a vet, top 4 quality, cheap, and won't cost us assets to acquire.

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers

Hagg should **** off and I doubt Friedman will be superior to Gudas, so I'm fine with sticking with our known quantity.

I'd sign up for those pairings right now.

Don't count out Friedman though.

I'll end the #FireFletcher campaign if he manages to get a real asset for Hagg at this TDL.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers

Hagg should **** off and I doubt Friedman will be superior to Gudas, so I'm fine with sticking with our known quantity.

Seems we agree when it comes to Defense. That's something

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers

It's not about what you or I think though. The organization is going to try hard to acquire an established top 4 defensemen. They've mentioned it ad nauseum. That's why I am factoring that in. If we trade/sign one, there won't be a need for Gudas going forward. I also still wouldn't rule out Gudas getting traded at THIS deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad