Injury Report: Simek ACL & MCL (Surgery Required)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Walking on it doesn't mean a ton to be honest. Jumbo played with a tornado ligament .

Tornado ligament? Sounds badass.

Wouldn't be a Sharks regular season without a key injury right before the playoffs.

I like Simek a lot but I wouldn’t exactly call this “key”. There are like ten players who are more key than Simek.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento

Pic from the arthroscopy…

2013%252F07%252F12%252Fa7%252Fsharknadoat.d8217.jpg%252F950x534__filters%253Aquality%252890%2529.jpg

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I like Simek a lot but I wouldn’t exactly call this “key”. There are like ten players who are more key than Simek.

Yeah, not to rag on Simek but we have Joakim Ryan in the press box who can step in and replace Simek without changing much of anything tbh

Reactions: BigDmitriy

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Doesn't mean anything. Depending on the injury, you can walk on torn ligaments. It's when you do other stuff that requires you to put pressure/torque on the bent knee that it becomes an issue.

Yah, but would generally mean it's not an acl. Which is good.

Reactions: SJGoalie32

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Doesn't mean anything. Depending on the injury, you can walk on torn ligaments. It's when you do other stuff that requires you to put pressure/torque on the bent knee that it becomes an issue.

Yup.

I suffered a Grade II MCL injury last year during a beer league game.

I took a couple shifts off, tried to walk it off, then tried to skate a few more short shifts (straight forward was okay, but couldn't stop hard or change directions). When I realized it wasn't going to bounce back, I finally just called it a game. It was sore to the touch, but I was fine walking on it under my own power back to the car and around the house that evening. 24 hours later the swelling became too intense to walk on. 48 hours later I couldn't even lift my leg into bed without excruciating pain, despite appearing to walk normally and even some skating immediately after it happened.

Spent the next 8 weeks on crutches, 3 months before I returned to light skating (fortunately, no surgery needed) ~5 months until I was back to 100%.

Obviously these pros have different physiques and different timetables and entire training staffs dedicated to their recovery....but the larger point (to illustrate what Nem said) is that with moderate to severe knee injuries, you can walk without a limp and maybe even lightly skate on it right after an injury like that, and then a day or two later you're in a knee brace and crutches for months.....to say nothing of recovery time back to 100.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Walking on it doesn't mean a ton to be honest. Jumbo played with a tornado ligament .
Jumbo had a massive knee brace holding him up doing the work that his ligaments should have been. Not the same thing at all.

I don't want to discount any experience you may have but having partially torn my ACL and MCL, I would say this isn't true. My brother and sister also tore only their ACLs and they could walk with a limp almost immediately but if you tear the MCL or LCL your knee almost useless and behaves like a wet noodle. I couldn't stand on my leg for at least a month without an immobilizer and used it to walk for nearly 2 months.

Watching the replay it wasn't quite as bad as I initially thought. The leg didn't get trapped the way Jumbos did with Boedker. I'm hoping in Simeks case it's simply a cartilage tear that can be scoped and he can be back out in less than month. After 2 of my scopes I rehabbed like a madman and was back playing games at the 14 day mark.

Random memory, Joe Niewendyk famously skated for a few years with no ACL in either knee until (I believe) Marchment destroyed his knee in the playoffs(?).

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Jumbo had a massive knee brace holding him up doing the work that his ligaments should have been. Not the same thing at all.

I don't want to discount any experience you may have but having partially torn my ACL and MCL, I would say this isn't true. My brother and sister also tore only their ACLs and they could walk with a limp almost immediately but if you tear the MCL or LCL your knee almost useless and behaves like a wet noodle. I couldn't stand on my leg for at least a month without an immobilizer and used it to walk for nearly 2 months.

Watching the replay it wasn't quite as bad as I initially thought. The leg didn't get trapped the way Jumbos did with Boedker. I'm hoping in Simeks case it's simply a cartilage tear that can be scoped and he can be back out in less than month. After 2 of my scopes I rehabbed like a madman and was back playing games at the 14 day mark.

Random memory, Joe Niewendyk famously skated for a few years with no ACL in either knee until (I believe) Marchment destroyed his knee in the playoffs(?).

I wasn't saying that you can walk on any torn ligaments. I was simply saying that the fact that he was walking isn't necessarily, as Kurz said, a good sign. It means he avoided the absolute worst case scenario, but it doesn't preclude that he still tore something and that we're still looking at a serious enough injury to write him off for the remainder of the season and the playoffs.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
If Simek is out when Karlsson comes back, I’d be curious to try...

Braun - Burns
Dillon - EK
Vlasic - Heed

Has Braun ever played with Burns? Might be crazy. More likely it’ll be Ryan in Simek’s spot and Heed sits.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
If Simek is out when Karlsson comes back, I’d be curious to try...

Braun - Burns
Dillon - EK
Vlasic - Heed

Has Braun ever played with Burns? Might be crazy. More likely it’ll be Ryan in Simek’s spot and Heed sits.

No, no and no. Braun can’t handle an easy pass to save his life, nor can he make a half competent pass. He would kill a lot of the offense Burnzie brings.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Anyone see them bringing someone from the Barracuda up and playing while Ryan still sits on the bench? :laugh:

Reactions: Sysreq

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I hope this doesn't derail his development. He have even gotten his first big contract!

Pretty clear he the Sharks ROTY candidate. Not sure a single person thought that would be the case in September.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Walking without crutches could be a good thing. One would have to think that any major injury would result in the team doctors taking extra precaution, right? like, if there was potential to be serious, wouldnt they just give him crutches to be safe instead of let him walk out?

Either way, I hope he drinks some of Jumbo's Secret Stuff and is back soon

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Walking without crutches is definitely at worst a neutral sign, if not a good one. When I had my knee blown out, I couldn't walk, period, without crutches for weeks. We certainly have to see what the next few days bring, as far as injury news goes, but at least it doesn't seem to be absolutely worst case as yet. That said, I'll still be pretty damn surprised if he's back in at any point prior to the playoffs, if at all this year no matter when that may be, playoffs or not.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Anyone see them bringing someone from the Barracuda up and playing while Ryan still sits on the bench? :laugh:

Ryan should get the playing time, but I'd expect them to recall someone at least on emergency basis for games. Fortunately the Sharks are in town so can do "daily" call ups unless the two teams aren't at home (like next weekend with Cuda in Arizona).

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Ryan should get the playing time, but I'd expect them to recall someone at least on emergency basis for games. Fortunately the Sharks are in town so can do "daily" call ups unless the two teams aren't at home (like next weekend with Cuda in Arizona).

A blessing that this occurred on the last real road trip (I don't count ANA/LA). Won't disrupt too much in terms of transactions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad