Injury Report: Simek ACL & MCL (Surgery Required)

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof

giphy.gif

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I think it was the Detroit game I asked when was the last time we heard about an ACL injury for a hockey player. I didn't want that to be a bad omen, but here we are with Simik. Feel bad for the guy. :(

Reactions: Sandisfan

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Damn, he’s really been a bright spot, this sucks. So does Ryan hold down the spot with Burns when EK65 gets back or does Braun play his off side and slot up with Burns like he was doing in Winnipeg?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I hope who ever it is that replaces simek brings a physical side to there game.

Thats what made burns and simek hard to play against defensively. Nobody wanted to dump the puck in because both sides would be physical.

So they always tried to carry it in any ways and would either turn it over or be bodied any ways.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Groo

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Ryan will have to step up. Thankfully he's played well with Burnzie before, but it's been a while since his last game.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Damn, he’s really been a bright spot, this sucks. So does Ryan hold down the spot with Burns when EK65 gets back or does Braun play his off side and slot up with Burns like he was doing in Winnipeg?

That'll depend on how well Ryan performs with this opportunity. If he continues a mostly timid game, they will probably scratch him in the playoffs for Heed since he has at this point shown more to warrant being in the lineup obviously. But if he performs like he did when Martin was out for the next month, he can make a strong case for himself.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
That'll depend on how well Ryan performs with this opportunity. If he continues a mostly timid game, they will probably scratch him in the playoffs for Heed since he has at this point shown more to warrant being in the lineup obviously. But if he performs like he did when Martin was out for the next month, he can make a strong case for himself.

Yeah agreed. I just don’t see deboer scratching Heed for Ryan unless Joakim if Heed keeps performing this way. It took Paul Martin losing that game against Vegas in OT for Ryan to come in and he still got benched in the 3rd period in the games that followed. If I had to guess, our playoff D pairings will be:

Burns-Braun
Dillion-Karlsson
Vlasic-Heed

Vlasic-Karlsson
Burns-Ryan
Dillon-Braun

One of those.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Hopefully Ryan takes this as an opening to earn his spot back and he plays lights out going forward given that recent Athletic article. Although I'd be interested to see how Burns-Braun would do in order to keep Heed with Vlasic when Karlsson returns

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
God, I feel awful for Simek. He’s been so good lately especially and was really blossoming into a real top-4 guy. It sucks that it takes this injury to get my guy Joakim back into the lineup.

Hopefully he makes a full recovery and is ready in September.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It’s been horrific all season.

It hasn't been that bad. It may look clunky but in the limited time they've spent together, they're getting the job done. If we're going to try and run four RHD's, I'd probably just do Karlsson-Burns, Dillon-Braun, and Vlasic-Heed and see how it plays out. Yeah you're front-loading it a bit but I think it protects Karlsson a bit coming back from his injury and the latter two pairings have gotten the best out of Braun and Vlasic this year and those are the guys you need to step up with a gimpy Karlsson and injured Simek. But I'd suspect that if they went four RHD's, the pairings are going to be pretty fluid rather than running with a decisive set of pairings.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I was at the 5-2 win against Tampa earlier this season. Everybody remembers Vlasic/Braun were missing from that game but a lot of people forget that Simek was also injured with a concussion and Joakim Ryan came in and played 20:41 and was fantastic.

Ryan doesn’t bring the barreling physicality of Simek but he is a great defenseman who does a lot of things better. I believe in him.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was at the 5-2 win against Tampa earlier this season. Everybody remembers Vlasic/Braun were missing from that game but a lot of people forget that Simek was also injured with a concussion and Joakim Ryan came in and played 20:41 and was fantastic.

Ryan doesn’t bring the barreling physicality of Simek but he is a great defenseman who does a lot of things better. I believe in him.

I believe in Joaky too but I don’t believe Pete believes in Joaky and unfortunately his opinion has just slightly more bearing on Ryan’s ice time than mine does. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad