Injury Report: Simek ACL & MCL (Surgery Required)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
We've only seen Simek at his presumptive best. With Ryan, we've seen him during a bad slump that all players eventually have. 2019 Simek and 2018 Ryan is a toss up, but 2019 Simek is clearly better than 2019 Ryan.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If Ryan can play the way he played yesterday, I think the loss of Simek is going to easier to digest. Either way, there is really not much of a choice. Players get injured and you do the best you can. We are just lucky that we have the depth at D that we do.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Did it seem like Ryan was pinching in quite a bit yesterday? At least I seemed to notice him doing that more than Simek ever did.

He has the wheels to do it but since his partner is also quite the pincher, it may burn us more often than not. Anyhow, I like Ryan and think he'll be fine replacing Simek.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Ryan can play the way he played yesterday, I think the loss of Simek is going to easier to digest. Either way, there is really not much of a choice. Players get injured and you do the best you can. We are just lucky that we have the depth at D that we do.

I'm a bit skeptical of him being able to do that though. It's not uncommon for guys in his spot to hit the ground running after getting a long overdue opportunity but playing consistently like that is difficult. Luckily, it's just a month and then the playoffs so I don't think energy level for him should be a big problem here.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm a bit skeptical of him being able to do that though. It's not uncommon for guys in his spot to hit the ground running after getting a long overdue opportunity but playing consistently like that is difficult. Luckily, it's just a month and then the playoffs so I don't think energy level for him should be a big problem here.

I don't know if he plays at the level he did yesterday or not either.

I think Ryan's strength is his skating and IQ. Simek's strengths are physicality and IQ. Both do a decent job clearing the zone and don't panic with the puck. If Ryan plays at his 2017-18 level, we should be good for the playoffs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't know if he plays at the level he did yesterday or not either.

I think Ryan's strength is his skating and IQ. Simek's strengths are physicality and IQ. Both do a decent job clearing the zone and don't panic with the puck. If Ryan plays at his 2017-18 level, we should be good for the playoffs.

For me, it's just about him playing conservatively but with assertion. I liked the physicality he brought to the game and hope that can be more of a regular part of his game. If he can keep himself from being flat-footed defensively then I think he'll be fine but he'll probably still be on a short leash.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
For me, it's just about him playing conservatively but with assertion. I liked the physicality he brought to the game and hope that can be more of a regular part of his game. If he can keep himself from being flat-footed defensively then I think he'll be fine but he'll probably still be on a short leash.

Well, the #6 spot is going to be between him and Heed once EK65 returns. Whenever that is.

I am honestly at a loss as to what pairings you go with at that time. Heed has been good but that puts us at 4 RD's. Someone will need to play their off-side unless we scratch Heed for Ryan.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well, the #6 spot is going to be between him and Heed once EK65 returns. Whenever that is.

I am honestly at a loss as to what pairings you go with at that time. Heed has been good but that puts us at 4 RD's. Someone will need to play their off-side unless we scratch Heed for Ryan.

Well, Ryan's going to get at least two weeks to make his case and we'll see what he looks like then. If he's playing well and Burns isn't noticeably playing differently like he had been previously then I'd probably keep Heed out but if Burns is out of sorts with Ryan then Heed is probably the better choice. Maybe do Dillon-Burns, Vlasic-Karlsson, and Braun-Heed. Shelter the crap out of that 3rd pair. lol

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I don't know who posted it but I actually would not be upset if they went

Karlsson - Burns
Vlasic - Heed
Dillion - Braun

Those bottom 2 pairing can handle the D zone and tough assignments.

Reactions: Herschel

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Ryan looked ok last night, but boy I miss Simek. He uses his body so well to make plays that Ryan just can't do. Not to minimize Ryan's game at all. But Simek is a beast.

Ryan did pinch more last night, which was cool. Unfortunately he shoots muffins, so I didn't expect much out of it.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ryan looked ok last night, but boy I miss Simek. He uses his body so well to make plays that Ryan just can't do. Not to minimize Ryan's game at all. But Simek is a beast.

Ryan did pinch more last night, which was cool. Unfortunately he shoots muffins, so I didn't expect much out of it.

Hey now, muffins can squeak through if you're shooting from the right spot. Just look at the pucks Vlasic has been putting through lately. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->