Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
$6 x 5 would be okay but man I hope he wants to stay. He won't make his decision until after this season I think. We need to show we have taken the next step. Trouba needs to see it, the fans need to see it, the rest of the hockey world needs to see it.

So now the reason he might not have signed yet is because he is waiting to see if we take the next step. Chevy please offer myers a contract extention next july 1st.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So now the reason he might not have signed yet is because he is waiting to see if we take the next step. Chevy please offer myers a contract extention next july 1st.

Well if you were in his situation would you sign now or after the season? You'd be silly to ink a deal now when you are on the precipice of being one of the top dmen in the league.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
If myers is healthy. And i dont doubt that he is they should all get close to the same minutes. Add on to that buff will be on pp1 and myers will see time on pp2. Good luck to trouba running up norris type numbers.

Seems like that would be a mistake coaching wise and business wise.
Trouba should play PP ahead of Myers because he's better than him.
Trouba should play PP ahead of Myers because that would maintain / improve his position on the team and potentially make it easier to sign him.

Not playing him on the PP feeds into the narrative of him not getting opportunities. That would be a lose-lose for the Jets.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If Connor makes the jump I think our PP's should be Laine/Connor dependent.

Perreault - Scheifele - Wheeler/Ehlers
Laine - Trouba/Buff

? - Little - Wheeler/Ehlers
Connor - Buff/Trouba/Morrissey

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
He also got his bell rung in a fight against Calgary. I'm just saying that his strategy is not without risk.

Jesus, he got punched out by Sam "can't do one ****ing chin-up" Bennett. I already disliked Trouba, but that was the point where he was officially dead to me. I want this guy on another team so I can:

a. feel good about cheering for the Jets again
b. feel good that he goes to **** and the hogs get him

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Seems like that would be a mistake coaching wise and business wise.
Trouba should play PP ahead of Myers because he's better than him.
Trouba should play PP ahead of Myers because that would maintain / improve his position on the team and potentially make it easier to sign him.

Not playing him on the PP feeds into the narrative of him not getting opportunities. That would be a lose-lose for the Jets.

In over 100 games with the Jets, Myers has 2 PPP. So Myers has not been better at the PP than Trouba, and seems to be worse at putting up points in general.

Yeah, seems like it'd be a really dumb idea to play Myers over Trouba on the PP.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I still don't think we know whether Trouba is more interested in determining where he plays or how much he gets paid.

I don't think the Jets will be unwilling to pay him enough.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If you offer him a 7X7 that's the parayko deal with an extra two years for 25 million....

You're not counting Trouba's 16-17 and 17-18 seasons at $3M AAV. If the Jets gave Trouba a 3 year x $7.17M deal starting in 18-19, then that would be equivalent to Parayko's new deal coming off his ELC. What's Parayko worth as a UFA in 5 years? 8 x $9M? Trouba at 7x7 is a good deal.

But this is why I question why he didn't sign a 6 x $5.5M deal that was apparently on offer from the Jets last fall. He takes on the injury risk of a short term deal. He'll be hard pressed to make that money back. He would've been easily tradable on a 6 year deal if he really wanted out. Worst case scenario (i.e. Jets refuse to trade him), he's a UFA at 28 with $33M in the bank and the world's his oyster...sign wherever he wants for as much as he wants. The only thing that makes sense is if he's trying to get to UFA as soon as possible - which would be one year earlier than if he'd taken that 6 x 5.5 deal...except he's only got about $15M ($3M, $3M, $4M, $5M) instead of $33M. Is that year worth $18M? Maybe he thinks he can get out quicker this way - but it's a huge risk to him financially and I honestly don't think it's even the quickest way out.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
In over 100 games with the Jets, Myers has 2 PPP. So Myers has not been better at the PP than Trouba, and seems to be worse at putting up points in general.

Yeah, seems like it'd be a really dumb idea to play Myers over Trouba on the PP.

Well in the last 84 games 2 years myers has 3 ppp. In 141 games 2 years also trouba has 8 points. So 5 more ppp in 57 more games for trouba. Hardly anything to write home about.Not to mention myers outscored him 2 years ago in fewer games played. Never said myers should be on pp instead of trouba only that they should split time on pp. Myers might re-sign here doesn't look like trouba will so trouba better earn his minutes.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Well in the last 84 games 2 years myers has 3 ppp. In 141 games 2 years also trouba has 8 points. So 5 more ppp in 57 more games for trouba. Hardly anything to write home about.Not to mention myers outscored him 2 years ago in fewer games played. Never said myers should be on pp instead of trouba only that they should split time on pp. Myers might re-sign here doesn't look like trouba will so trouba better earn his minutes.

In the last two years, Myers has two power play points.

2016/17
Trouba had 2 goals, 2 assists, and 4 points in 100 minutes of PP.
Myers had 0 points (understandably, as he only played 18 minutes)

2015/16
Trouba had 4 assists and 4 points in 104 minutes of PP.
Myers had 2 points in 165 minutes of PP.

2014/15
Trouba had 1 goal, 5 assists, and 6 points in 126 minutes of PP.
Myers had 1 goal, 1 assists, and 2 points in 70 minutes of PP.

So in 331 minutes of PP time, Trouba had 14 points over the last three seasons. He has been our 2nd best D-man (possibly outdone by Toby, but it's close if that is the case) at producing on the PP over the past 3 seasons. Myers has 4 points in 254 minutes. Those numbers are bad.

Why should they split PP time exactly?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Myers can use that insanely long stick on the PK instead.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
In the last two years, Myers has two power play points.

2016/17
Trouba had 2 goals, 2 assists, and 4 points in 100 minutes of PP.
Myers had 0 points (understandably, as he only played 18 minutes)

2015/16
Trouba had 4 assists and 4 points in 104 minutes of PP.
Myers had 2 points in 165 minutes of PP.

2014/15
Trouba had 1 goal, 5 assists, and 6 points in 126 minutes of PP.
Myers had 1 goal, 1 assists, and 2 points in 70 minutes of PP.

So in 331 minutes of PP time, Trouba had 14 points over the last three seasons. He has been our 2nd best D-man (possibly outdone by Toby, but it's close if that is the case) at producing on the PP over the past 3 seasons. Myers has 4 points in 254 minutes. Those numbers are bad.

Why should they split PP time exactly?

Its a long season myers will get plenty of pp time. And so will trouba.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Trouba at 7x7 is a good deal.

But this is why I question why he didn't sign a 6 x $5.5M deal that was apparently on offer from the Jets last fall. He takes on the injury risk of a short term deal. He'll be hard pressed to make that money back. He would've been easily tradable on a 6 year deal if he really wanted out. Worst case scenario (i.e. Jets refuse to trade him), he's a UFA at 28 with $33M in the bank and the world's his oyster...sign wherever he wants for as much as he wants. The only thing that makes sense is if he's trying to get to UFA as soon as possible - which would be one year earlier than if he'd taken that 6 x 5.5 deal...except he's only got about $15M ($3M, $3M, $4M, $5M) instead of $33M. Is that year worth $18M? Maybe he thinks he can get out quicker this way - but it's a huge risk to him financially and I honestly don't think it's even the quickest way out.
My thinking, exactly.

Trouba has been getting bad advice. AFAIK, he should fire his agent AND his father, because the risk of injury and the potential money lost made no sense whatsoever. It was clearly a gamble that they lost.

To elaborate on the financial risk, it has been estimated that NHL players save only 25% of a million dollars in salary, after escrow, taxes, fees and living expenses. If that is true, Trouba could have barely over 2 million dollars at the end of his current contract.If you calculate the income that provides for life in the case of injury/disability, it's not that much.

Meanwhile, Scheifele has financial security for life, great respect in the hockey world, high standing in the community and among his peers. All that was available to Trouba, plus contract freedom at age 28.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg

Agreed. I firmly believe Trouba's #1 priority is to get out of Winnipeg ASAP. Like you said, it's the only thing that makes sense.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
My thinking, exactly.

Trouba has been getting bad advice. AFAIK, he should fire his agent AND his father, because the risk of injury and the potential money lost made no sense whatsoever. It was clearly a gamble that they lost.

To elaborate on the financial risk, it has been estimated that NHL players save only 25% of a million dollars in salary, after escrow, taxes, fees and living expenses. If that is true, Trouba could have barely over 2 million dollars at the end of his current contract.If you calculate the income that provides for life in the case of injury/disability, it's not that much.

Meanwhile, Scheifele has financial security for life, great respect in the hockey world, high standing in the community and among his peers. All that was available to Trouba, plus contract freedom at age 28.

Unsure how you can declare Trouba a 'loser' since his gamble has not yet been completed. If he has another monster season, he sure looks he will be paid handsomely. Could be a winner after all?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Unsure how you can declare Trouba a 'loser' since his gamble has not yet been completed. If he has another monster season, he sure looks he will be paid handsomely. Could be a winner after all?

Screwing with cap salary and the teams future so you can make more millions than you already are

A real "winner"

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Screwing with cap salary and the teams future so you can make more millions than you already are

A real "winner"

If he gets his payday, I'm sure he would happily consider himself a winner. My point had nothing to do with the Jets as a whole.

As a Jets fan, I don't care for his tactics, but he is completely within his rights as laid out in the collectively bargained agreement between the NHL and the NHLPA.

Would you say all of the same things about PK? He bet on himself and now he is the highest paid D in the league. Nashville seemed to do just fine with his cap hit this past season.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Its hard to put up a monster season if you are only putting up around 20 minutes a game.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

A real "winner"

He has done nothing that is not allowed in the CBA. I get where the reaction comes from regarding his tactics, but none of them are outside of what the NHL and NHLPA negotiated.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
If he gets his payday, I'm sure he would happily consider himself a winner. My point had nothing to do with the Jets as a whole.

As a Jets fan, I don't care for his tactics, but he is completely within his rights as laid out in the collectively bargained agreement between the NHL and the NHLPA.

Would you say all of the same things about PK? He bet on himself and now he is the highest paid D in the league. Nashville seemed to do just fine with his cap hit this past season.

I think if you're trying to squeeze as much money as you can it's a selfish personality because he's i understand you should think about yourself, but there are players who get paid less who also want to win a championship

And the more money you make, the more it hurts your team
I believe in taking one for the team, but also making money to support yourself and meeting in the middle should be the goal

Clearly Trouba doesn't care about the other side of the conversation and wants to be filthy rich(which he already will be quite rich)

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I think if you're trying to squeeze as much money as you can it's a selfish personality because he's i understand you should think about yourself, but there are players who get paid less who also want to win a championship

And the more money you make, the more it hurts your team
I believe in taking one for the team, but also making money to support yourself and meeting in the middle should be the goal

Clearly Trouba doesn't care about the other side of the conversation and wants to be filthy rich(which he already will be quite rich)

[mod]

Once again, this has nothing to do with my original post. Once again, everything Trouba has done is completely within his rights as an NHLPA member. You never answered my earlier question: do you feel the same way about PK? Has PK's cap hit hurt the Preds?

Trouba has presumably worked his entire life for this opportunity, and he will make the most of it the way he sees fit. It's sweet to think you would take a different route, but you can't ever know that for certain because you will never be presented with the same opportunity.

Like I mentioned before, I'm not a fan of the way Trouba has handled this, but he is perfectly within his rights. If he wants to gamble with his future and have it pay off, great for him. Takes a lot of confidence to pass over guaranteed money and bet that you will be able to make even more based on your performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille