Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He is trying to lower his value to the jets only.Trouba is worth more today in a trade then in 2 years to the jets with no long term contract. Who is going to give up a whole lot to trade for him if they dont know if he signs there long term either. If like some say he will sign a long term contract next year and still look to get traded then why not sign now and not risk injury if you can get the money and term you would be looking for next year this year.

Who even knows if Chevy even made him an offer this summer. How many players have signed one year into their bridge? I'd bet very few if any. Most play it out and use arbitration as a pressure point to extract more. Your trying to apply logic to Trouba that could have been applied to any number of past players on bridge deals that didn't to sign early.

I figured there was zero chance of him signing this summer barring an offer from Chevy that he couldn't refuse. Given the Jets upcoming cap issues I didn't see such an offer being made. Chevy will try to negotiate the most team friendly contract he can next summer. Trouba will likely play ball or he risks substantially lowering his compensation over the next few seasons and over his career as a whole. I doubt he wants to leave that much.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Trouba will 100% not sign this summer. That is about the most obvious part of all of this.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
So, Colton Parayko signs a rather team-friendly contract to carry him into his prime. Trouba is one year younger. Would you do a 5-year, 5.5m contract once his bridge is up?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
So, Colton Parayko signs a rather team-friendly contract to carry him into his prime. Trouba is one year younger. Would you do a 5-year, 5.5m contract once his bridge is up?

If you offer him a 7X7 that's the parayko deal with an extra two years for 25 million....

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
Well....yea, but Id rather lock.him long term, even if that means overpaying a bit.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Oh yes, I agree that locking him up long-term is the best outcome. However, it takes two to tango. Basically after his bridge deal is done, I'll view anything less than a four-year term as a failure.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
If he really wanted to get traded why doesn't he just go our and say it?

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
Im not sure that he does. He wants top pairing minutes to collect the same sort of pay check that Subban did...

However....

Subban is > Trouba and had a Norris calibre season...Trouba has not.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
Because it would tank his trade value, which is of no benefit to himself / his agent.

I dont really think he wants that either. He just wanted the ice and pp time to maximize his earnings. I dont buy the whole he hates Winnipeg thing, he's from Michigan(i think) and its not like that place is much different from Manitoba.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Im not sure that he does. He wants top pairing minutes to collect the same sort of pay check that Subban did...

However....

Subban is > Trouba and had a Norris calibre season...Trouba has not.

I would bet his camo is now holding out for him having a Norris finalist calibre season ala Hedman to try to extract an 8illion a year deal.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If myers is healthy. And i dont doubt that he is they should all get close to the same minutes. Add on to that buff will be on pp1 and myers will see time on pp2. Good luck to trouba running up norris type numbers.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If he really wanted to get traded why doesn't he just go our and say it?

He tried it once already, and what did he achieve by that? Two more years in Winnipeg. I don't think he wants to try again.

The best course of action for Trouba is not to sign this summer, and go mental next year, trying to elevate his game as much as possible, thus earning him more money. He knows well that without a perfect storm occurring, he is never going to get traded without being locked up long term first, and even then it might be a stretch. Basically, if Trouba takes the route of co-operation and signs a long-term deal with the Jets, he would become even more marketable than an elite defenseman of his caliber already is.

The other option would be utilizing his arbitration rights and walking in three years' time, but that's a considerably worse option for him. He has to take a lot of risk that way, as he won't be able to get as much money from contracts declared by an arbitrator, and he doesn't get any long-term security either. On top of that, that would guarantee that he wouldn't get traded, as the lack of term would scare of buyers to the point at which Chevy probably doesn't pull the trigger - meaning that Trouba stays in Winnipeg.

If Trouba never wanted to leave and the holdout thingy was orchestrated by his dad, his agent or Donnie for all I care, at least a very big contract will be coming his way from a team in the NHL. His bridge deal was a gamble which turned into a jackpot.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If myers is healthy. And i dont doubt that he is they should all get close to the same minutes. Add on to that buff will be on pp1 and myers will see time on pp2. Good luck to trouba running up norris type numbers.

Trouba put up more points last season than Myers has done in any season since 2010/11. Why wouldn't he be on the PP over Myers?

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I think people might be underestimating the risk Trouba is taking without locking in a lock term contract. he has had some troubling injuries already and could incur more over the next year or two. could that not impact his market value significantly?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
What troubling injury history? He got overzealous on a hit behind the net and skated head first into the end boards. That's the only time he's been significantly injured. He doesn't get injured just from normal play, a'la Bogosian. He's cleared 3/4th of the season in GP each season, reaching 81 games played in 15-16, and would have hit it again last season were it not for the holdout. There was a post some time ago that measured how much each defender was injured and weighted it against ToI. The top ice time D tend to miss about 20% of the season on average, due to injury. Trouba's not that far off that mark.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
What troubling injury history? He got overzealous on a hit behind the net and skated head first into the end boards. That's the only time he's been significantly injured. He doesn't get injured just from normal play, a'la Bogosian. He's cleared 3/4th of the season in GP each season, reaching 81 games played in 15-16, and would have hit it again last season were it not for the holdout. There was a post some time ago that measured how much each defender was injured and weighted it against ToI. The top ice time D tend to miss about 20% of the season on average, due to injury. Trouba's not that far off that mark.

I think there was concern with cervical vertebrae at the time and lasting effects. But I'm sure those are healed 100%.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
He also got his bell rung in a fight against Calgary. I'm just saying that his strategy is not without risk.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I'm sure someone around here knows this. How do the comparables in arbitration work? He would be compared only to other RFA deals right? As in, no contracts that include UFA years. If that is indeed the case then he would be giving up quite a bit for those two years, you'd think.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He also got his bell rung in a fight against Calgary. I'm just saying that his strategy is not without risk.

Do we know that or was it a hand injury from punching a visor?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Yep. In a heart beat. That would be the equivalent of a 7 year deal off his ELC. I actually expect a 5 year deal at somewhere between $6-7 M if we are able to sign Trouba. The compromise between being set free at the earliest possible moment and the 8 year deal that locks up your whole prime. That would leave Trouba as a UFA at age 29, perfect timing to sign a UFA deal while you are still in your prime, especially as a d-man. This is assuming Trouba doesn't want out at any cost.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
$6 x 5 would be okay but man I hope he wants to stay. He won't make his decision until after this season I think. We need to show we have taken the next step. Trouba needs to see it, the fans need to see it, the rest of the hockey world needs to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad