Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well I think you see Colorado has obviously started a serious effort to trade Duchene, and have given themselves time to get the right deal. I sure hope that Chevy can see the writing on the wall and is skillful enough to create a bidding war so there isn't a panic move at the 11th hour.

I didn't think Chevy had it in him to do what he did this offseason so he's bought a little bit of good faith from me.

I think he is growing in his job and he is also probably forging stronger relationships with other GM's as time goes on. Time will tell and needless to say this one is a big one.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
If Trouba doesn't want to be apart of this team
How do we replace him?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
extend myers.

No. That's a huge gamble and he do3snt actually replace Trouba value

Myers is the same case as little
He's under rated and because of that will be affordable

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Myers is not overrated
Guy is injury prone to heck
His value is at an all time low

I would agree that his trade value is at a low... but that hardly seems relevant here.

As far as evaluating his talent, he is overrated IMO. He is viewed (and paid) as a top 4 d-man. I see him as a #5. Can you see why I think he's overrated?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I would agree that his trade value is at a low... but that hardly seems relevant here.

As far as evaluating his talent, he is overrated IMO. He is viewed (and paid) as a top 4 d-man. I see him as a #5. Can you see why I think he's overrated?
He is a top 4 dman. And is paid like a #5.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He is a top 4 dman. And is paid like a #5.

Myers has the 25th highest cap hit and his $4 million salary is still top 80 in the league at the defenseman position. He's most certainly compensated at top 4 level and his cap hit suggests low end number 2 dmen.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Do you really think #5 dmen should carry a cap hit of 5.5 Mil?

He is a top 4 dman in ability and will still see a good amout of minutes. And he makes 3 million. You said he is overpaid. 3 million is not overpaid.
Acctually he will get 3.25 over the last 2 years of his contract.

Last edited:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Because he is a top 4 dman
His injuries is the only thing that holds him back

So no, I can't see him as being over rated
You really think he's a 2/3 pair dman?

I think he's a true top 4(minus injuries)

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Myers is a top four defenseman. For sure. Extending him is exactly what we have to do if Trouba did get traded.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
That's nice. Explain your rationale.

Doesn't tilt the ice in the right direction, is hot garbage on special teams. Only thing he does well is individual scoring (Which to be fair he does really well).

His breakout pass is terrible, though he can make up for it by skating it out (but only when healthy). He also surrenders the blue line too easily.

hoowaa

Oct 22, 2011
Winnipeg
Jacob is the Bobblehead giveaway this year (March 20).

Maybe I'm grasping at straws......but......perhaps/hopeful that this is tiny bit of forecasting that he is open to signing here longer term.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Maybe I'm grasping at straws......but......perhaps/hopeful that this is tiny bit of forecasting that he is open to signing here longer term.

It's a pretty good sign he's not about to be traded

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If Trouba doesn't want to be apart of this team
How do we replace him?

We trade him for the D who has the highest likelihood of replacing Trouba's impact on the ice. Then, we all put our hands together and pray to god that we don't fall apart.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
We trade him for the D who has the highest likelihood of replacing Trouba's impact on the ice. Then, we all put our hands together and pray to god that we don't fall apart.

What would trouba and wheeler fetch if they were both signed long term? Trouba for forward, wheeler for a d, just for fun which player would come back the other way in those two good ol hockey trades?

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
What would trouba and wheeler fetch if they were both signed long term? Trouba for forward, wheeler for a d, just for fun which player would come back the other way in those two good ol hockey trades?

Just for fun...ok

Trouba- Would need to go to a team dying for young RHD. Maybe trade him to TOR for Nylander or Marner (their fans will never agree to this of course), BUF for Reinhart+?

Wheeler- Because of contract status needs to go to a win now team stacked on D. ANH? Likely they'd want to move Vatanen, Montour, or Larsson but don't settle for anything less than Manson + as Wheeler is a top 10 winger in the league.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

That is not a scenario which we could pull off, nor should anyone ever entertain that. Signing two high end players for the purpose of trading them forward gives you a bad reputation, and I don't think that Chevy wants to make his job as a GM any more difficult than it already is.

Personally, I think that we can only have one of Trouba and Wheeler. Trouba should be prioritized over everyone next summer, as he is not replaceable. If we can afford Wheeler in 2019, after handsomely paying Laine and the rest of the guys the year before, then we could keep him. The way I see it, barring a miracle, there is no cap space for Wheeler.

What do we do with Blake then? My answer is as follows: unless we still can't make the playoffs in 2019, in which case he should be rented, let him walk. That's kind of the reality of being a good team with a bunch of talented high end forwards: can't have them all. I can't see him signing a contract that straight up doesn't kill the interest of half the league, and on top of that, Blake will have a pretty wide NTC to block any trades he doesn't fancy.

If Trouba is the one being traded, any asset that is not a young top line C or D shouldn't be accepted. We are trading an elite defenseman, which are practically impossible to acquire from anywhere. We might as well ask for something that's a scarcity too. That ask goes for a trade occurring next summer (two years till UFA), or if a long term deal is in place at anytime.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Well I just asked the Mark Scheifele bobblehead if Trouba was going to be traded and he just kept nodding.

Pretty strong indication there. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad