Sidney Crosby surpassing Alexander Ovechkin in career points watch (UPD: Ovechkin ahead by 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
give me being the best all time goal scorer over Crosby's generically elite overall production any day

being the best ever at something like that means something,what's Crosby the best ever at? getting concussions that turn out to be pseudo concussions?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I find the debate about the relative value of goals and assists generally more interesting than the debate about Crosby and Ovechkin specifically.

I guess my feeling is that I trust the 50G guy more than the 50A guy to produce in the future, even if he's moved to a different context. I'm an absolutely terrible hockey player, but I pick up quite a few assists: get the puck to the good players in the offensive zone and they'll get me points. It's a lot more rare for a great passer to get me goals than it is for a good goalscorer to get me assists.

I present to you Matt Moulson.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
the HOH forum will get the most traffic

oh and ovi can't hold crosby's jock, this debate has been silly since at least 2014

Yet.........somehow despite the 5 caps fans that exist it's still a thread that gets way more discussion then most......

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Apart from a year or two nobody has ever doubted that Crosby is the better all around player and point-getter.

I think we're finally getting to a point where we can just say that Ovi is the greatest goal-scorer of his era and maybe ever, and Crosby is the best all around player of his era.

No doubt about it they are the two best of their era, and it doesn't really matter (nor is it honestly all that quantifiable) as to who was actually the greater player.

Reactions: pi314

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Total NHL career points Reg and playoffs combined
Crosby 1347 points in 1059 games=1.27 ppg (104 points per 82 games)
Ovechkin 1284 points in 1162 games= 1.11 ppg (91 points per 82 games)

Crosby has 63 more career nhl points in 103 less career nhl games.... check mate

i see you changed ur argument... thats the way to go !

sadly nhl does not track combined points, no one does exept pens fans in such a situation or gretzky fans that use his reg+playoff goals when ovi comes close to his goal totals... as this thread is about regular season points, making ur statement look like a resentful agreement that ovi was more productive.

Reactions: mrv52

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
give me being the best all time goal scorer over Crosby's generically elite overall production any day

being the best ever at something like that means something,what's Crosby the best ever at? getting concussions that turn out to be pseudo concussions?

Generically elite is a really weird phrase for the best player of his generation.

Focus on a single thing always obscures the big picture.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
sadly nhl does not track combined points, no one does exept pens fans in such a situation or gretzky fans that use his reg+playoff goals when ovi comes close to his goal totals... as this thread is about regular season points, making ur statement look like a resentful agreement that ovi was more productive.

But that doesn't make any sense.
Almost everyone in this sport talks about how meaningless the regular season is and that the playoff games are the ones that really matter.

But when it comes to statistics people are only interested in the points racked up during the regular season?
Why shouldn't you give Crosby credit for having more playoff-assists than Ovi has playoff-points?
Besides ... they have roughly the same amount of regular season points, but Crosby played about 150 less games.

And I'm neither a Pens fan nor can I stand Crosby's stupid face.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
i see you changed ur argument... thats the way to go !

So are you disputing that Crosby has more points and PPG in both the playoffs and regular season combined?

Heck in a couple of games it will be both regular season and playoffs right?

Reactions: Son Goku

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
Total NHL career points Reg and playoffs combined
Crosby 1347 points in 1059 games=1.27 ppg (104 points per 82 games)
Ovechkin 1284 points in 1162 games= 1.11 ppg (91 points per 82 games)

Crosby has 63 more career nhl points in 103 less career nhl games.... check mate

There really is no logical rebuttal to this.

Ovechkin's point totals are helped by - more regular season games due to fluke injuries to Crosby

Crosby's point totals are 'helped' by - more playoff games due to Ovechkin's inability to get past the 2nd round for 12 years.

According to some - Crosby's (more difficult) playoff games should be discarded. The games that matter. Should be discarded. Ovechkin's regular season power play points vs the mid 2000s Southleast Division carries more weight, apparently.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Say what you want about goals vs. assists, their respective trophy cases clearly reflect a similar value placed on their overall point totals.

Both have twelve Top 25 Hart Finishes, three Lindsays, and two Lindsay nominations.

Once you cross out the duplicate Hart finishes the remaining Top Ten finishes it looks like this:

Crosby - 2, 3, 5

OV - 1, 6, 9

There is no argument for saying goals > assists based on this.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I find the debate about the relative value of goals and assists generally more interesting than the debate about Crosby and Ovechkin specifically.

I guess my feeling is that I trust the 50G guy more than the 50A guy to produce in the future, even if he's moved to a different context. I'm an absolutely terrible hockey player, but I pick up quite a few assists: get the puck to the good players in the offensive zone and they'll get me points. It's a lot more rare for a great passer to get me goals than it is for a good goalscorer to get me assists.

Sound logic in theory, but I’d argue the opposite. I think the set up man is more often the one actually catalyzing the offence, whereas the finisher is often less multidimensional and well-rounded. This is partly because the centre is typically the playmaker and has more responsibilities than their wingers do. Ovi has undoubtedly benefited more from playing with Backstrom for large parts of his career than Sid ever has with his revolving door of wingers.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
There really is no logical rebuttal to this.

Ovechkin's point totals are helped by - more regular season games due to fluke injuries to Crosby

Crosby's point totals are 'helped' by - more playoff games due to Ovechkin's inability to get past the 2nd round for 12 years.

According to some - Crosby's (more difficult) playoff games should be discarded. The games that matter. Should be discarded. Ovechkin's regular season power play points vs the mid 2000s Southleast Division carries more weight, apparently.

This is a very good post

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Ovechkin is better at goalscoring and at throwing meaningless hits.

Crosby is better at everything else.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
With two points last night, Crosby is now three points behind Ovechkin in career scoring. The last time they were this close was January 19th, 2011 (nearly eight years ago), when Ovechkin was ahead 575-572. They've both scored exactly 592 points since then.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Can anyone compare their point totals if u take out secondary assists? Im genuinely curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad