Sidney Crosby surpassing Alexander Ovechkin in career points watch (UPD: Ovechkin ahead by 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
If ifs and buts were candies and nuts.....

Basically the takeaway from your statement is that one guy is durable... the other is not. Funny how pens fans keep adding the "fluke" tag in front of injuries and crosby... as if to suggest it's always a fluke when he gets injured.

so much more durability, yet only one cup

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
This should be a fun debate, but it just isn't. We have these excessive pole greasers on both sides of the aisle and it just really takes away from something that we should be lucky to have, a debate between the two best players that all of us on here got to witness.

Ovechkin is the better goal scorer. Crosby is the better playmaker. Ovechkin is significantly more durable and Crosby is more reliable when he's on the ice.

The rest of the argument should be fun, as its based on preference and opinion.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I'm not complaining, but it is arbitrary. There's no real basis for awarding one or two or three assists per goal, just successively smaller correlations with each touch, until it becomes something close to +/-, which is fairly worthless. And so a system that on average award about 1.6 assists for every goal is going to favor players whose skill sets favor puck distribution. I think Crosby is the better player, but him passing Ovechkin isn't all that notable, when his game is better suited to point accumulation under the system in place, and if not for some really bad luck, he'd already be ahead.

It's true, but on average a secondary assist is less likely to be the primary cause of a goal. And there undoubtedly some great efforts on ternary assists, but the correlation between third touches and goals is low enough that we don't bother counting them. I'm not disputing that assists are valuable, and are sometimes more important than the act of putting the puck in the net itself. I'm just saying that the decision made at the inception of the sport to award up to two assists instead of one or three was arbitrary at the time, regardless of whether we agree it works pretty well for determining the best players.
Also not every league awards secondary assists. I dont think the KHL, Finland or Sweden's national leagues award secondary assists

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Aug 3, 2010
I don't get why this is a big deal. It's not like Ovechkin is retired, so what's the big deal if Crosby surpasses him while both players are still active NHLers? Crosby could have a 4 point night, surpass Ovechkin, only to fall behind the next night Ovechkin plays.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't get why this is a big deal. It's not like Ovechkin is retired, so what's the big deal if Crosby surpasses him while both players are still active NHLers?

I feel like it's kinda a meme at this point because Crosby has been "on the verge" of passing Ovi in points for seemingly years at this point.

Aug 3, 2010
I feel like it's kinda a meme at this point because Crosby has been "on the verge" of passing Ovi in points for seemingly years at this point.
I mean, I get the hype around the fact that they are the two unarguable best players of this generation and two of the top-30 players of all time, depending on who you ask. I just don't see what surpassing an active player means.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Nah, goals > secondary sid

Malkin > Crosby

Uhh ...

Regular Season
Crosby: 429 goals in 900 games (0.477 GPG)
Malkin: 382 goals in 823 games (0.464 GPG)

Playoffs
Crosby: 66 goals in 160 games (0.413 GPG)
Malkin: 62 goals in 158 games (0.392 GPG)

giphy.gif

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I mean, I get the hype around the fact that they are the two unarguable best players of this generation and two of the top-30 players of all time, depending on who you ask. I just don't see what surpassing an active player means.

It doesn't really mean anything. Crosby puts up more points than Ovechkin, but everyone already knew that. Ovechkin meanwhile puts up way more goals than Crosby and everyone already knew that too.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I don't get why this is a big deal. It's not like Ovechkin is retired, so what's the big deal if Crosby surpasses him while both players are still active NHLers? Crosby could have a 4 point night, surpass Ovechkin, only to fall behind the next night Ovechkin plays.
It’s a big deal because Crosby is one point behind while playing 140 less games lol.

Aug 3, 2010
It’s a big deal because Crosby is one point behind while playing 140 less games lol.
And Crosby's career could come to an unfortunate end the next game and Ovechkin could go on to play 3 more seasons leaving Crosby's career totals in the dust.

This "achievement tracking" is like awarding the Richard to Matthews after his first career game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ovechkin will likely play longer and regain the lead at some point. Obviously Crosby would be ahead at the moment without some bad injury luck, but playmakers also benefit from a scoring system that arbitrarily awards up to two assists per goal.

That lame assist argument also works in favor of Ovechkin, just an fyi. The rest of your post, lol, right, so Sid being a couple of years younger won't some how play longer than Ovy?

Reactions: canadianguy77

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
And Crosby's career could come to an end the next game and Ovechkin could go on to play 3 more seasons. This "achievement tracking" is like awarding the Richard to Matthews after his first career game.
No. It shows that Crosby is by far the better offensive player. While also being the much better all around player.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
And Crosby's career could come to an unfortunate end the next game and Ovechkin could go on to play 3 more seasons leaving Crosby's career totals in the dust.

This "achievement tracking" is like awarding the Richard to Matthews after his first career game.

Anyone's next game could be their last. Ovie could defect to the KHL. Sid could play until he's 40. Ovie could play until he's 50. Anything can happen.

Reactions: canadianguy77

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

On Joe Thorton retirement night, it is likely that the one with the most points between the 2 will gain the title of active player with the most points (and could retire with it)

Now it is not like anything about hockey can ever be a dig deal or even a mild deal, it is obviously just all non sense for waist of time fun.

Aug 3, 2010
No. It shows that Crosby is by far the better offensive player. While also being the much better all around player.
This "feat" has little to do with that information. The respective players have proven their individual abilities time and again, over a 10+ year professional career winning the awards and respect of their peers. Otherwise, this thread reeks of insecurity.

The players know how good they are.

Does the audience really need these affirmations in order to justify themselves?

Nobody responding thus far have made clear why surpassing an active player in any particular category is interesting especially when they have had a similar career trajectory as the league's superstar players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia