Should Yandle stay or go?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
It was on one of our PPs where Yandle gave away the puck twice but the major glaring one was in the NZ where he turns around, faces the CAR player and tries to pass it by him but is easily intercepted.

It was after Huberdeaus 1st goal in 2nd period with less than 10 mins to go, likely on the Svechnikov penalty

Yandle actually had three turnovers on that PP, that was just the dumbest one lol.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yandle actually had three turnovers on that PP, that was just the dumbest one lol.

Thanks! Thats two big turnovers to AHO, and yes @IRootForNoTeam and I were joking about him on that PP.

He's high risk with his passing, it definitely works sometimes in NZ/OZ but in the DZ, he's frantic, manic and full of panic to be hit. Just moves the puck without looking in hopes his winger/center will deal with the problem.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Thanks! Thats two big turnovers to AHO, and yes @IRootForNoTeam and I were joking about him on that PP.

He's high risk with his passing, it definitely works sometimes in NZ/OZ but in the DZ, he's frantic, manic and full of panic to be hit. Just moves the puck without looking in hopes his winger/center will deal with the problem.
The thing is also that their PK players just know exactly what to do. He is never going to continue towards the OZ, ALWAYS doing the drop pass.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The thing is also that their PK players just know exactly what to do. He is never going to continue towards the OZ, ALWAYS doing the drop pass.

Hes been doing that for a couple years now, as someone said before, he can't skate the puck anymore, not gonna shit on him for declining foot speed in his mid 30s but also as you said, this move isn't fooling anyone anymore so stop doing it.

Barkov is the key guy to skate the puck through NZ so have Yandle and Barkov as the two last to leave the DZ and have Yands hit Barkov in full stride just before our blue line, the wingers should be somewhat in stride through NZ as well and then get in and setup.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Hes been doing that for a couple years now, as someone said before, he can't skate the puck anymore, not gonna shit on him for declining foot speed in his mid 30s but also as you said, this move isn't fooling anyone anymore so stop doing it.

Barkov is the key guy to skate the puck through NZ so have Yandle and Barkov as the two last to leave the DZ and have Yands hit Barkov in full stride just before our blue line, the wingers should be somewhat in stride through NZ as well and then get in and setup.
I get the system. We are lucky that Barky is so good at skating the puck in - although he is not always a sure thing either against a competent PK unit. But he always has to do it himself.

It is not Yandle's fault that he is slow. Making dumb plays with the puck is his fault.

Forsling, Weegs and Ek had some great rushes last game. It would add such a big element to our PP setup if we had a guy on D that can actually skate plus make a drop pass from time to time...

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Run the 5 on 5 numbers for all 14 games though, take into context QOC, DZ/OZ starts, TOI, GF and GA
Shocked with your love of Yandle.
What's not to love? 5v5 Yandle's GF/GA is 10/9 (TOI 189) and Ekblad's 6/6 (TOI 250). Yandle also has a small edge in FF and such, and a big advantage in HDCF% and xGF%. The huge difference in DZ/OZ makes it difficult to compare them in a fair way. Both are solidly positive, so apparently they are both playing their respective role well.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What's not to love? 5v5 Yandle's GF/GA is 10/9 (TOI 189) and Ekblad's 6/6 (TOI 250). Yandle also has a small edge in FF and such, and a big advantage in HDCF% and xGF%. The huge difference in DZ/OZ makes it difficult to compare them in a fair way. Both are solidly positive, so apparently they are both playing their respective role well.

His 5 on 5 minutes have been cut again by 2 mins so thats 4 minutes total since Q took over or 6 total even strength minutes in the past 3 years.
He played 11 minutes of even strength TOI last night but had 5 mins on the PP.

The last 7 games, he has 2 PP assists and a -2

The first 7 games, he had 2 goals, 7pts (6 PP points) and a +2.

See a difference? He's okay against weaker competition but soon as we start playing the top teams, he's borderline useless.
I figured the last two years of his deal (we're not even there yet) would suck but he is nowhere worth $6+ mil a year.

And he starts a ton in OZ and with the top line.

Last edited:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Ssshhh. Don't want to stop the ImpatientPanther and his ongoing witch hunt. And his inability to understand the comparisons being made when people mention Ekblad. Maybe he's still embarrassed about stating Yandle is a candidate for the best Panthers defenseman of all time! And yes ImpatientPanther, you posted that a while ago, so I can't find the direct quote! I wish I saved it because I questioned it at the time. ;)

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
His 5 on 5 minutes have been cut again by 2 mins so thats 4 minutes total since Q took over or 6 total even strength minutes in the past 3 years.
He played 11 minutes of even strength TOI last night but had 5 mins on the PP.

The last 7 games, he has 2 PP assists and a -2

The first 7 games, he had 2 goals, 7pts (6 PP points) and a +2.

See a difference? He's okay against weaker competition but soon as we start playing the top teams, he's borderline useless.
I figured the last two years of his deal (we're not even there yet) would suck but he is nowhere worth $6+ mil a year.

And he starts a ton in OZ and with the top line.
He is among the league leaders in $/TOI for defensemen, which obviously isn't great in itself. The important thing is that Q manages ice-time in a way that helps the team win though, and that has been fine so far.

Even with the tougher last 7 games, Yandle leads our defense in CF% and FF%. Everyone has been doing worse against the better opposition. There's certainly reason to keep an eye on how things progress, but there is no reason to be so ridiculously hateful against our own player as a lot of people are on here.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He is among the league leaders in $/TOI for defensemen, which obviously isn't great in itself. The important thing is that Q manages ice-time in a way that helps the team win though, and that has been fine so far.

Even with the tougher last 7 games, Yandle leads our defense in CF% and FF%. Everyone has been doing worse against the better opposition. There's certainly reason to keep an eye on how things progress, but there is no reason to be so ridiculously hateful against our own player as a lot of people are on here.

Of course he has a high CF and FF%, he starts a lot in the OZ with the top line.
How many points does he have 5 on 5 with all this OZ and top line help?

He is being sheltered a ton, is good at literally one thing (passing) which can also backfire a lot as well, his stretch passes from DZ through NZ create turnovers.
The Yandle defenders can only point to one decent thing he does, passing the puck on the PP and still can't see why this is rocket science.

Everything else he is arguably a negative. I don't hate the guy, his TOI is literally being cut by 2 minutes a year and you can tell Q and Zito would likely want him on another team if the truth came out.

@I am not exposed , all lies! Contact MI6 and find that thread. I did a deep dive to see if I could find it too :laugh:

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Of course he has a high CF and FF%, he starts a lot in the OZ with the top line.
How many points does he have 5 on 5 with all this OZ and top line help?

He is being sheltered a ton, is good at literally one thing (passing) which can also backfire a lot as well, his stretch passes from DZ through NZ create turnovers.
The Yandle defenders can only point to one decent thing he does, passing the puck on the PP and still can't see why this is rocket science.

Everything else he is arguably a negative. I don't hate the guy, his TOI is literally being cut by 2 minutes a year and you can tell Q and Zito would likely want him on another team if the truth came out.

@I am not exposed , all lies! Contact MI6 and find that thread. I did a deep dive to see if I could find it too :laugh:
There are a lot of assumptions there. I don't think you can tell anything about what Zito and Q think of Yandle. That's all projection.

Do you have stats for the top line help? The numbers I see is a very even distribution for Yandle, while Ekblad plays a large percentage with the Barkov line and very little with the fourth line.

It's true that Yandle doesn't have a lot of 5v5 points yet, but that's also true for the other defensemen. It appears that our forwards hog the assists, which does not mean that the defensemen aren't involved.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
There are a lot of assumptions there. I don't think you can tell anything about what Zito and Q think of Yandle. .

You don't pay a guy 6.5 million per year and give him bottom pairing minutes if you think he's good. Between his usage and the rumors of him not making the starting lineup it's pretty obvious what Q and Zito think of him.

Reactions: panthersdu67

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
There are a lot of assumptions there. I don't think you can tell anything about what Zito and Q think of Yandle. That's all projection.

Do you have stats for the top line help? The numbers I see is a very even distribution for Yandle, while Ekblad plays a large percentage with the Barkov line and very little with the fourth line.

It's true that Yandle doesn't have a lot of 5v5 points yet, but that's also true for the other defensemen. It appears that our forwards hog the assists, which does not mean that the defensemen aren't involved.

C'mon Pigge...I commend you for your debating spirit but it's a lost cause.

Yandle was an inch or two away from being a healthy scratch by Q, he's cut 4 minutes of his TOI in under 2 years.
Zito may have refuted the trade rumors but enough people reported on it to not be fairy dust.

He's 6th among FLA defensemen in 5 on 5 points. Out of 8 guys if you include Forsling and Juulsen who both have played like 4 games.
Yes Weegar and Ekblad play more TOI but guys like Stralman, Nutivaara and Gudas have more and they aren't considered big offensive guys.

Again, outside the PP, what is he doing to help the team?

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Being a jokester...

As a 6th Dmen you should never be a defensive liability. Taking penalties, bad pinches, mind-boggling giveaways...
These things don't show up on the statsheet, but they must be taken into account. His PP effect does not compensate for it

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002

Yandle was an inch or two away from being a healthy scratch by Q, he's cut 4 minutes of his TOI in under 2 years.
Zito may have refuted the trade rumors but enough people reported on it to not be fairy dust.

He's 6th among FLA defensemen in 5 on 5 points. Out of 8 guys if you include Forsling and Juulsen who both have played like 4 games.
Yes Weegar and Ekblad play more TOI but guys like Stralman, Nutivaara and Gudas have more and they aren't considered big offensive guys.

We are all impressed by Gudas, who also plays third pairing minutes. And he plays better with Yandle than without him. I'm not concerned how much they play as long as the team wins. Q is obviously working actively to get the right players on the ice in different situations, and it's working just fine.

If we're talking about rumors and reports, everyone says that Yandle is a positive locker room presence. Some guys help by holding others accountable, and others help with levity and making people feel welcome and included. That's not unimportant.

Reactions: harv33173

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Being a jokester...

As a 6th Dmen you should never be a defensive liability. Taking penalties, bad pinches, mind-boggling giveaways...
These things don't show up on the statsheet, but they must be taken into account. His PP effect does not compensate for it

Liked!! It's funny the defenders can't answer the simple question of what he does well outside the PP.

We are all impressed by Gudas, who also plays third pairing minutes. And he plays better with Yandle than without him. I'm not concerned how much they play as long as the team wins. Q is obviously working actively to get the right players on the ice in different situations, and it's working just fine.

If we're talking about rumors and reports, everyone says that Yandle is a positive locker room presence. Some guys help by holding others accountable, and others help with levity and making people feel welcome and included. That's not unimportant.

Yes I agree, the 2pts is the most important thing for sure but what about the question of what he does well outside the PP?
You agree he starts a ton in OZ, so he has 1 even strength point and he's been scored on almost as much as goals for, despite being offensively sheltered on 3rd pairing.
I'd assume his QOC is also near the bottom of the 6 D?

The first 7 games, his feet were held to the fire and he was impressive (other Yandle "haters" even gave him compliments and love) and engaged but he's fallen back into his cruise control in the last 7 games imo and don't know how anyone can argue against it.

Reactions: FinlandPanther

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

Why do you keep dismissing the PP and special teams like they don't exist? We have the 6th best PP in the league, and Yandle is a big part of that.

Also, short handed we're bottom of the barrel at 22nd. Guess who's getting 1st duty as D on that job.....

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Why do you keep dismissing the PP and special teams like they don't exist? We have the 6th best PP in the league, and Yandle is a big part of that.

Also, short handed we're bottom of the barrel at 22nd. Guess who's getting 1st duty as D on that job.....

Not dismissing it, it's the one good part of his game. He helps on it but don't think he is conducting brain surgery out there.
What else is he good at Kid Icarus?

I definitely think Barkov could do Yandles job on the PP, he's quicker on his feet, more defensive minded and has just as good, if not better passing and playmaking ability.

So you "hate" Ekblad because people are critical of Yandle?
Guess Barkov is a bum too for being part of that PK too?

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Yes I agree, the 2pts is the most important thing for sure but what about the question of what he does well outside the PP?
You agree he starts a ton in OZ, so he has 1 even strength point and he's been scored on almost as much as goals for, despite being offensively sheltered on 3rd pairing.
I'd assume his QOC is also near the bottom of the 6 D?

The first 7 games, his feet were held to the fire and he was impressive (other Yandle "haters" even gave him compliments and love) and engaged but he's fallen back into his cruise control in the last 7 games imo and don't know how anyone can argue against it.
You are correct about the QoC. You can't really fault a player for not performing against players he does not play against.

He makes creative passes outside the PP. He makes a lot of high difficulty passes so he has more giveaways than the others, but it's not especially high for the level of difficulty. We all see different things, but to me it's quite obvious that he sees openings that the other defensemen do not and it helps create chances. It is especially important for the second and third lines to be as productive as they are, which is important as we want to apply continuous pressure.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Not dismissing it, it's the one good part of his game. He helps on it but don't think he is conducting brain surgery out there.

I definitely think Barkov could do Yandles job on the PP, he's quicker on his feet, more defensive minded and has just as good, if not better passing and playmaking ability.

Speaking of which, Yandle's PK numbers are superior to both Ekblad and Barkov. 0 goals against in his 80ish seconds of PK. :thumbu:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You are correct about the QoC. You can't really fault a player for not performing against players he does not play against.

He makes creative passes outside the PP. He makes a lot of high difficulty passes so he has more giveaways than the others, but it's not especially high for the level of difficulty. We all see different things, but to me it's quite obvious that he sees openings that the other defensemen do not and it helps create chances. It is especially important for the second and third lines to be as productive as they are, which is important as we want to apply continuous pressure.

I don't even need an used car but would definitely buy one from you :)
We shall continue to agree to disagree on Yandle's pros vs cons.

Reactions: Pigge

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

I don’t hate Ekblad. I'm not just a fanboy. Every time he makes a mistake “oh it’s ok because he’s Ekblad, former 1st overall”.

Yandle makes a mistake “Sound the alarm!!!! This bum needs to be traded, even though we’re leading the division”

But you are dismissing it. He’s a premiere PP defenseman. Haven’t heard you say shit about that. Ekblad sucks on the PK, haven’t heard a peep. Let me know when you’re done cherry picking what you like and dislike.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don’t hate Ekblad. I'm not just a fanboy. Every time he makes a mistake “oh it’s ok because he’s Ekblad, former 1st overall”.

Yandle makes a mistake “Sound the alarm!!!! This bum needs to be traded, even though we’re leading the division”

But you are dismissing it. He’s a premiere PP defenseman. Haven’t heard you say shit about that. Ekblad sucks on the PK, haven’t heard a peep. Let me know when you’re done cherry picking what you like and dislike.

:laugh: Go read page 4 and 5 of last nights GDT.
Ekblad had 3-4 years of shit on him, did read the majority of posts here as a MOD in the GDTs during his rough development.
"Trade him! Trash! Bust! Ekbust/Ekbad/etc".

Whipping boy Matheson is gone so people will usually focus on the big earners. Right now it seems to be Yandle and Bob.

If anything, Bob gets more heat imo.
He's yelled at even when not playing or if he dares to exist on the screen.

And nobody says "Sound the alarm!!" but Yandle is a bum though :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad