Should this season just be considered a write off for the Coyotes?

Backhandbeauty

Dec 28, 2018
I did not make this thread.
No you're just polluting it with an excessive amount of posts screaming of butthurt and angst just like you did the last yotes thread. I'm kinda actually embarrassed for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No you're just polluting it with an excessive amount of posts screaming of butthurt and angst just like you did the last yotes thread. I'm kinda actually embarrassed for you.

It's funny how upset people get if you knock the Arizona Coyotees on here. LOL. I am such a hater!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
I swear every year there are 10 "the most injury plagued teams" and they seem to always be the same squads.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Not really. Maybe if they had a big top line like the Avs or Bruins but they don't. It's a team that's supposed to rely on a 4 line attack and balanced scoring.

You take away Schmaltz, Dvorak and Grabner and that completely destroys that supposed strength of theirs. Last game Richardson, Cousins and Garland were playing top 9..

Throw in Raanta and Demers injuries and it just gets worse.

Sure, if they were a strong team to begin with, they could deal with these injuries better. But they're not, so they need at least close to their best possible lineup to compete for the playoffs. And sadly we haven't seen it this season.

It's like, where would the Habs be without Price, Danault, Tatar, Byron and Benn all out at the same time.

It's funny in a way, Coyotes are starting to feel like the Blue Jackets before 16/17.

Jackets were getting better and had a strong finish to the season in 14/15 with a 16-3-1 record in their last 20 games. Then when everyone expected them to push for a playoff spot in 15/16 they had a bad start and Bobrovsky ended up missing more than half a season. That's where people started to write them off again until they broke out in 16/17.

I wouldn't be surprised to see people write the Yotes off after a season like this only to see them catch everyone by surprise next year. There's a lot of similarities between them and Columbus. Pretty good defense, capable goalie, balanced offense without any big stars.
Lots of teams have been decimated with injuries. My oilers have lost Sekera their #2 guy and second pair anchor for basically 2 seasons. While he’s been out they’ve lost Klefbom, Russell at the same time and they’re only depth scorer in Chiasson and are still in the mix. If none of that happened we would probably be in a playoff spot but it is what is. You have to deal. I heard Chayka on the radio towards the end of last season when asked why the coyotes hadn’t taken a step he said “it’s hard to win without your starter”. What does he do? Goes into this season once again relying on Raanta to put up a .930 save % to make the team look reasonably ok.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
They are the Carolina of the west
Team is expected to turn a corner every year and they dont yet prediction never seems to change.

Reactions: Voight

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
They are the Carolina of the west
Team is expected to turn a corner every year and they dont yet prediction never seems to change.
Panthers are like that too. I am done hearing they have amazing young talent and will be better.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
That's good information, I counted up all the man games lost and here's where its at as of Jan 4th:
1.Anaheim 208 (excluding Holzer)
2.Dallas 198
3.Ottawa 186 (excluding MacArthur)
4.LA 184
5.Arizona 167 (excluding Hossa and Bolland)
6.Boston 152
7.Vancouver 151 (excluding Dorsett)
8.Detroit 136 (excluding Zetterberg and Franzen)
9.St.Louis 133
10.Montreal 131
11.Philadelphia 127
12.Florida 117 (excluding MacKenzie)
13.New Jersey 114
14.Buffalo 107 (excluding Wilson)
15.Nashville 104
16.Edmonton 99
17.Vegas 96 (excluding Clarkson)
T18.Chicago 94 (excluding Forsling's wrist injury)
T18.Pittsburgh 94
20.NY Rangers 87
21.Calgary 86
22.Colorado 84
23.Carolina 82
24.Washington 77
25.Tampa Bay 75
26.NY Islanders 71
27.Winnipeg 45
28.Toronto 34 (excluding Horton)
29.Minnesota 32
30.Columbus 24
31.San Jose 22

Just my opinion, but I find it hard to believe that this is just luck. I would bet that San Jose has a much higher quality strength and conditioning staff than Anaheim does and you can take this back to last year as too as the Sharks were mostly healthy and the Ducks simply weren't.
Thanks for the list! Wilson should count though, he’s a top 9 player on our terrible team. Was waived since he’s been injured for so long and we have 11 days without games coming up.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Repeatedly being at the top of the most injured list is a system issue. If your defense cant get the puck out and your transition game sucks, you can expect your players to take a ton of hits. Probably doesn't help that the strength and conditioning budget is limited to a couple guest passes at the local YMCA.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
They’re injuries are overstated. The only truly devastating one is Raanta and relying on him in the first place was a huge misplay by Chayka.
For a team that is not very deep the injuries are, for sure, devastating.

Raanta is a huge loss. He was lights out fabulous when playing. Vezina calibre goaltending goes a long way to cover warts on the rest of the team. He just cant stay healthy enough to be a #1 goalie.

Demers was the top pairing RHD and was playing really well with OEL. Gone for the season.

Dvorak has missed the entire season.

Grabner was a key part of a fantastic PK and added speed and skill.

Schmaltz was playing as the top line C since acquired and is now gone for the season.

Richardson is leading the team in scoring (not a good sign but he is nontheless) and a key to the #1 PK and defensive game (the team is still 7th overall in G despite the injuries and total lack of offense).

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
No, this team is an embarrassment to the NHL. No more excuses.
Like the pens during the era where they almost relocated and Dick Tarnstrom was the team leader in points? The “fans” in Pittsburgh couldn’t fill the arena.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Like the pens during the era where they almost relocated and Dick Tarnstrom was the team leader in points? The “fans” in Pittsburgh couldn’t fill the arena.

How long did those last? Were they 300+ million in the hole and burning 50mil a season with no sign of that changing any time soon?

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
How long did those last? Were they 300+ million in the hole and burning 50mil a season with no sign of that changing any time soon?
They didn’t last very long because they were very fortunate to, again, land 2 generational talents in Crosby and Malkin. The trend shows that without Jagr-Lemieux and Crosby-Malkin that the fans don’t show up. They had one foot in Kansas City before winning lotteries. Show me where the coyotes had this kind of luck.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
The coyotes have had over 20 years in the desert and how many of those years have they made money?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They didn’t last very long because they were very fortunate to, again, land 2 generational talents in Crosby and Malkin. The trend shows that without Jagr-Lemieux and Crosby-Malkin that the fans don’t show up. They had one foot in Kansas City before winning lotteries. Show me where the coyotes had this kind of luck.

A franchise shouldn't have to depend on getting lucky and drafting multiple generational talents to break even. If Pittsburgh is truly as bad a market as you say, they'll relocate eventually when they're Crosby/Malkin-less. Right now they're actually making money and aren't a net negative to the league.

Why should the league set 50 million a year on fire just to keep watching an obviously failed experiment in the hopes that it might accidentally figure itself out? How long do we wait, 1, 2 first overalls? In the meantime we just keep using them as a garbage dump for fake contracts to artificially bump them up to the cap floor?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
No, this team is an embarrassment to the NHL. No more excuses.
If only they could luck into winning the lottery and landing 1 or 2 top 100 players of all time.

Yes I know it is an excuse but considering the Pens were saved twice by landing the #1 overall pick and getting all time great superstars it comes off as a bit crass ...

Cant say for certain but I suspect the Coyotes would be a) a better draw league wide and b) a better overall team had they won either or both of the McDavid and Matthews lotteries.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
A franchise shouldn't have to depend on getting lucky and drafting multiple generational talents to break even. If Pittsburgh is truly as bad a market as you say, they'll relocate eventually when they're Crosby/Malkin-less. Right now they're actually making money and aren't a net negative to the league.

Why should the league set 50 million a year on fire just to keep watching an obviously failed experiment in the hopes that it might accidentally figure itself out? How long do we wait, 1, 2 first overalls? In the meantime we just keep using them as a garbage dump for fake contracts to artificially bump them up to the cap floor?
No we need to give them at least 50 years of losing money for now we need to find some more Datsyuk / Pronger like contracts for them.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
You guys realize that the coyotes were already above the cap floor before acquiring the Pronger and Datsyuk contracts right? Because you’re coming off as extremely ignorant right now.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Lots of teams have been decimated with injuries. My oilers have lost Sekera their #2 guy and second pair anchor for basically 2 seasons. While he’s been out they’ve lost Klefbom, Russell at the same time and they’re only depth scorer in Chiasson and are still in the mix. If none of that happened we would probably be in a playoff spot but it is what is. You have to deal. I heard Chayka on the radio towards the end of last season when asked why the coyotes hadn’t taken a step he said “it’s hard to win without your starter”. What does he do? Goes into this season once again relying on Raanta to put up a .930 save % to make the team look reasonably ok.
But the Oilers have won 5 1st overall picks including the best player in the world and are a whopping 4 points ahead of the Coyotes (and the Coyotes have a game in hand). After all that luck the Oilers only depth player is a player on a PTO? No team has done less with more than the Oilers.

Reactions: Voight

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Do you know of any other 1c star RFAs from Arizona?

Thanks for contributing to the thread.
Do you know of any RFAs in their prime that have signed in Arizona? Ok, how about said they'd sign in Arizona? Ok ok, how many RFAs even know about the Arizona Coyotes?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I know there probably not making the playoffs but they have been in my opinion the most injured team BY FAR this year. Do you guys think mgmt should just treat this year as a write off, fire the strength and conditioning staff, and wait for next year where they hopefully hire better trainers to keep this team more durable?

It was made clear several times to oilers fans we can not use injuries as a reason why we are bad .. So other teams can't as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad