Should this season just be considered a write off for the Coyotes?

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
I know there probably not making the playoffs but they have been in my opinion the most injured team BY FAR this year. Do you guys think mgmt should just treat this year as a write off, fire the strength and conditioning staff, and wait for next year where they hopefully hire better trainers to keep this team more durable?

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
7y.gif

Seriously when have the coyotes been relevant

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Didn't do a full analysis of the info on this site, but in terms of cap impact, it seems Anaheim is the most injured "by far", discounting players that are technically retired.

NHL Injury Viz: 2018/19 team injury breakdowns (through 4 January)

Interesting bit of information to go through, not sure of the value of the data.

According to that, Arizona has been only the 9th most injured team this season. That doesn't seem so bad, especially when we're talking about a team that finished with the 3rd fewest points last season and, thus, didn't exactly come into the season as team with a lot of potential. Since they're about where I might've expected them to be, I'm not sure that I'd say that injuries have derailed their season. Besides, four teams (DAL, VAN, NSH and BOS) have been injured more than ARI and still have better records, three even being in playoff positions at the moment.

Last edited:

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
Didn't do a full analysis of the info on this site, but in terms of cap impact, it seems Anaheim is the most injured "by far", discounting players that are technically retired.

NHL Injury Viz: 2018/19 team injury breakdowns (through 4 January)

Interesting bit of information to go through, not sure of the value of the data.

That's good information, I counted up all the man games lost and here's where its at as of Jan 4th:
1.Anaheim 208 (excluding Holzer)
2.Dallas 198
3.Ottawa 186 (excluding MacArthur)
4.LA 184
5.Arizona 167 (excluding Hossa and Bolland)
6.Boston 152
7.Vancouver 151 (excluding Dorsett)
8.Detroit 136 (excluding Zetterberg and Franzen)
9.St.Louis 133
10.Montreal 131
11.Philadelphia 127
12.Florida 117 (excluding MacKenzie)
13.New Jersey 114
14.Buffalo 107 (excluding Wilson)
15.Nashville 104
16.Edmonton 99
17.Vegas 96 (excluding Clarkson)
T18.Chicago 94 (excluding Forsling's wrist injury)
T18.Pittsburgh 94
20.NY Rangers 87
21.Calgary 86
22.Colorado 84
23.Carolina 82
24.Washington 77
25.Tampa Bay 75
26.NY Islanders 71
27.Winnipeg 45
28.Toronto 34 (excluding Horton)
29.Minnesota 32
30.Columbus 24
31.San Jose 22

Just my opinion, but I find it hard to believe that this is just luck. I would bet that San Jose has a much higher quality strength and conditioning staff than Anaheim does and you can take this back to last year as too as the Sharks were mostly healthy and the Ducks simply weren't.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
According to that, Arizona has been only the 9th most injured team this season. That doesn't seem so bad, especially when we're talking about a team that finished with the 3rd fewest points last season. They didn't exactly come into the season as team with a lot of potential, so I'm not sure that we can say that injuries have derailed their season. Besides, four teams (DAL, VAN, NSH and BOS) have been injured more than ARI and still have better records.
Good to note that the site is using cap data rather than actual man games lost. If all players were signed to appropriate contracts this would be an excellent approach, but obviously that is not the case. It is also out of date by a week, but that isn't so much that the Coyotes would move near to the cap impact lost that Anaheim has. Overall you'd have to dig in a little bit to really get the full picture, but it is an interesting snapshot at least, that is a bit more useful than just straight man games lost.

EDIT: NetflixandPhil compiled the man games lost list and it correlates quite closely with the cap impact. Interesting info for sure.

Last edited:

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Also Arizona has many quality players out...

Starting goaltender out for season in Raanta
1st line winger/center out for season in Nick Schmaltz
2nd line center out for whole season in Christian Dvorak
Top-4 defenceman out for season in Jason Demers
Also Grabner, Chychrun and Galchenyuk have missed a good amount of games

Reactions: hellstick and dood

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Things would look awfully different for them if they didn't get robbed in the McDavid/Eichel -draft.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
They’re injuries are overstated.

Not really. Maybe if they had a big top line like the Avs or Bruins but they don't. It's a team that's supposed to rely on a 4 line attack and balanced scoring.

You take away Schmaltz, Dvorak and Grabner and that completely destroys that supposed strength of theirs. Last game Richardson, Cousins and Garland were playing top 9..

Throw in Raanta and Demers injuries and it just gets worse.

Sure, if they were a strong team to begin with, they could deal with these injuries better. But they're not, so they need at least close to their best possible lineup to compete for the playoffs. And sadly we haven't seen it this season.

It's like, where would the Habs be without Price, Danault, Tatar, Byron and Benn all out at the same time.

It's funny in a way, Coyotes are starting to feel like the Blue Jackets before 16/17.

Jackets were getting better and had a strong finish to the season in 14/15 with a 16-3-1 record in their last 20 games. Then when everyone expected them to push for a playoff spot in 15/16 they had a bad start and Bobrovsky ended up missing more than half a season. That's where people started to write them off again until they broke out in 16/17.

I wouldn't be surprised to see people write the Yotes off after a season like this only to see them catch everyone by surprise next year. There's a lot of similarities between them and Columbus. Pretty good defense, capable goalie, balanced offense without any big stars.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad