Should Theo Fleury be in the HOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
his number isn’t even up on the rafters for the flames. He’s too outspoken and his views are controversial and just sounds like a nut case.

I could totally see him just spewing out garbage in his speech and drawing more attention from that then the other inductees.

I get that he’s been through a lot but he’s living proof that you can be a victim and still be viewed as an ahole.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
If the question has to be asked whether someone should be in the HOF or not, the answer should be “no.”

The HOF should be reserved for the unquestioned “best of the best of the best. With honors.”

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I remember talking to Theo just before the 97 draft and who the flames should select, I asked what about that Russian kid named Samsonov? Theo said: maybe but I hear he's a bit of a flake!

Oh, the irony.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I feel for what he's gone through and what its done to him. It's a shame that he's shifted from being a voice for those causes & issues in society to conspiracy theories.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
When the Flames won't even officially retire his number, there's no hope for him getting into the HHoF. He can't keep his mouth shut and the pandemic did him no favours with his conspiracy shit.

Unofficially 14 is retired for the flames but that's it.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Just going by on-ice accomplishments and play, where would Fleury rank? Were he in the HHOF, what percentile would be fall under?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He should be in the HHoF based on his play and I think that's what matters in the HOCKEY Hall of Fame, even if I wouldn't like it for other reasons.

That should perhaps be it's own discussion:; whether idiotic and extreme opinions should affect who is admitted to the HHoF.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
his number isn’t even up on the rafters for the flames. He’s too outspoken and his views are controversial and just sounds like a nut case.

I could totally see him just spewing out garbage in his speech and drawing more attention from that then the other inductees.

I get that he’s been through a lot but he’s living proof that you can be a victim and still be viewed as an ahole.

To be fair, only Iginla/McDonald/Vernon have received that honor. MacInnis doesn't even have his number retired.

Reactions: AlexanderTheGood

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No. He is a danger to the public. Someone with his warped mind is not someone you want to amplify.

200w.gif

AlexanderTheGood

To be fair, only Iginla/McDonald/Vernon have received that honor. MacInnis doesn't even have his number retired.
Further to that, Mike Vernon should be in the same HHOF class as Fleury. Got to four Stanley Cup Finals and won two cups - once with the same 89' team Fleury played on and then nearly ten years later with the Red Wings when he won Conn Smythe in 1996-97. Team-wise, Vernon also had an appearance at the Memorial Cup final in 1983. He played in four Stanley Cup Finals split across two teams and two decades. Vernon's numbers were light-years ahead of Grant Fuhr and Patrick Roy, who were both elected to the hall well over a decade ago.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Further to that, Mike Vernon should be in the same HHOF class as Fleury. Got to four Stanley Cup Finals and won two cups - once with the same 89' team Fleury played on and then nearly ten years later with the Red Wings when he won Conn Smythe in 1996-97. Team-wise, Vernon also had an appearance at the Memorial Cup final in 1983. He played in four Stanley Cup Finals split across two teams and two decades. Vernon's numbers were light-years ahead of Grant Fuhr and Patrick Roy, who were both elected to the hall well over a decade ago.

The problem is the hall is insanely strict when it comes to goalies. I agree Vernon has a good case - Vezina finishes of 2,4,4,8,10,11 while competing with Roy/Hasek/Belfour/Brodeur.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm surprised he is not. He was a legit weapon. A legit 7 time all star. A guy who scored a point a game in over a 1000 regular season games. He was also a point per game playoff scorer. He did all that at 5 foot 6 inches. I would really like to see him in the HOF. Especially with all he had to overcome.
Not after that Yakupov inspired goal celebration.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad