Should the Wild extend Bruce Boudreau?

Extend BB

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Nobody would look at that Caps team in hindsight and say they were the best team in their conference. He got them to overachieve in the regular season. They had serious defense issues.

Losing to cup winners happens in the playoffs.
Which Yeo did here! Yeo never had a team that was considered division favorites like you said. Yeo won 2 playoff series in which the Wild were underdogs.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's not Boudreau who can fix the goalie problem.
But it is Boudreau that helped create it. There's no chance 2 different GM's sign off on Stalock unless the coaching staff was fighting for him.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
And then Guerin became the GM and Stalock still stayed.
He was hired too late in the summer to really do anything about it. Most teams have their rosters set by then. Getting a bit off the initial topic, which we don't really have any way of knowing the answer to other than speculation.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He was hired too late in the summer to really do anything about it. Most teams have their rosters set by then. Getting a bit off the initial topic, which we don't really have any way of knowing the answer to other than speculation.
No, he wasn't. FFS there have been a half dozen goalies on waivers this year that are better than Stalock.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
No, he wasn't. FFS there have been a half dozen goalies on waivers this year that are better than Stalock.
So Guerin didn't fix it because of Bruce? I mean I can get on board with your comment here, but you've said many times Guerin should do something if at all possible, while also blaming Bruce now for being the reason Stalock is here. Which is it?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So Guerin didn't fix it because of Bruce? I mean I can get on board with your comment here, but you've said many times Guerin should do something if at all possible, while also blaming Bruce now for being the reason Stalock is here. Which is it?
Why would it have to be one or the other?

My point is that it's pretty clear that Boudreau wants Stalock around. That makes it pretty clear that Boudreau is at the very least partially responsible for the "goalie problem". This entire conversation was started by you claiming that Boudreau couldn't be blamed for the "goalie problem". I disagree with that statement. Guerin and what he's doing is an entirely different conversation.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Why would it have to be one or the other?

My point is that it's pretty clear that Boudreau wants Stalock around. That makes it pretty clear that Boudreau is at the very least partially responsible for the "goalie problem". This entire conversation was started by you claiming that Boudreau couldn't be blamed for the "goalie problem". I disagree with that statement. Guerin and what he's doing is an entirely different conversation.
Sure. We disagree, nothing more to see here.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ok so BB likes Alex for a backup. I don't see a problem with that. The problem is that the Wild have committed to Dubs long term and do not yet have a realistic #1 replacement.

He's only here for one more season and we have two goalies playing well in the AHL, one has already shown he's better than Stalock and Dubnyk's current form, and we have one of the better goalies in the CHL as well.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Ok so BB likes Alex for a backup. I don't see a problem with that. The problem is that the Wild have committed to Dubs long term and do not yet have a realistic #1 replacement.
You don't see a problem with starting an AHL caliber goaltender 20-25 times a year because he's Bruce's buddy? You serious? Imagine how much less we could bitch about Dubnyk if there was a legitimate player to put in his spot when he was playing like trash?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You don't see a problem with starting an AHL caliber goaltender 20-25 times a year because he's Bruce's buddy? You serious? Imagine how much less we could ***** about Dubnyk if there was a legitimate player to put in his spot when he was playing like trash?
We've gone from Boudreau being "partially responsible" for Stalock not being replaced within the first 5 months of Guerin's tenure, to him being the deciding factor. All with no evidence beyond the fact that Stalock's still on the team.

Goaltending is a problem, but there's only so much we can read into the fact that it hasn't been solved yet. We're not the only team out there being hurt by our goalies and it's not like, say, Toronto's made substantial moves there either.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
We've gone from Boudreau being "partially responsible" for Stalock not being replaced within the first 5 months of Guerin's tenure, to him being the deciding factor. All with no evidence beyond the fact that Stalock's still on the team.

Goaltending is a problem, but there's only so much we can read into the fact that it hasn't been solved yet. We're not the only team out there being hurt by our goalies and it's not like, say, Toronto's made substantial moves there either.
You're right, hard to blame Guerin for all the things that he's tried to fix the problem. :facepalm:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You're right, hard to blame Guerin for all the things that he's tried to fix the problem. :facepalm:
What are Guerin's options?

He's said it's probably better for Kahkonen to spend most of the year in Iowa, which makes sense. I liked what I saw from him, but he wasn't exactly killing it either. Plus he's going to be back up in January once Dubnyk's wife undergoes whatever procedure she has lined up.

He could claim another AHL-caliber goalie (like Comrie) off of waivers. They might be an upgrade but probably won't be a substantial one, and then you've got 3 goalies in Iowa fighting for time (or Robson down to the ECHL).

He could try to spend assets by trading for a goalie, but that brings risks of its own. And with a few exceptions it's hard to see who would be available that'd be worth trading for.

At this point last season Fenton had made the same number of substantial moves that Guerin has: zero. And that was after a full offseason with a mandate to shake things up and a team that was struggling worse than this year's team has for the last two months. When he did finally throw up his hands and make a trade, he brought in Victor Rask. Buffalo has been trying to move one of their 19 defensemen for a middle-6 forward for months now and Edmonton would probably love to do the same. I'd love to see a change in goal, but making a worthwhile trade in the middle of the season does not seem to be all that easy.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What are Guerin's options?

He's said it's probably better for Kahkonen to spend most of the year in Iowa, which makes sense. I liked what I saw from him, but he wasn't exactly killing it either. Plus he's going to be back up in January once Dubnyk's wife undergoes whatever procedure she has lined up.

He could claim another AHL-caliber goalie (like Comrie) off of waivers. They might be an upgrade but probably won't be a substantial one, and then you've got 3 goalies in Iowa fighting for time (or Robson down to the ECHL).

He could try to spend assets by trading for a goalie, but that brings risks of its own. And with a few exceptions it's hard to see who would be available that'd be worth trading for.

At this point last season Fenton had made the same number of substantial moves that Guerin has: zero. And that was after a full offseason with a mandate to shake things up and a team that was struggling worse than this year's team has for the last two months. When he did finally throw up his hands and make a trade, he brought in Victor Rask. Buffalo has been trying to move one of their 19 defensemen for a middle-6 forward for months now and Edmonton would probably love to do the same. I'd love to see a change in goal, but making a worthwhile trade in the middle of the season does not seem to be all that easy.
That's a lot of words to say absolutely nothing

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Then I'll abbreviate it: it's not reasonable to hold Boudreau responsible for Guerin not replacing Stalock.
If Boudreau isn't responsible for Stalock being here, than Guerin needs to be fired asap.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Louis Domingue
Alex Lyon
Oscar Dansk
Garett Sparks
Kasimir Kaskisuo
JF Berube
Scott Wedgewood
Troy Grosenick
Zane Mcintyre
Anthony Stolarz
Chris Driedger
Jon Gillies
Chris Gibson
Richard Bachman
Calvin Pickard
Charlie Lindgren
Casey DeSmith
Eric Comrie
Anton Forsberg
Pheonix Copley
Keith Kinkaid

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
GM's don't get fired for backup goalie situations. Or line combinations you don't like.
No, but if he's keeping Stalock in the NHL against the wishes of his coach(es), then he's certainly too stupid to keep around.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Louis Domingue
Alex Lyon
Oscar Dansk
Garett Sparks
Kasimir Kaskisuo
JF Berube
Scott Wedgewood
Troy Grosenick
Zane Mcintyre
Anthony Stolarz
Chris Driedger
Jon Gillies
Chris Gibson
Richard Bachman
Calvin Pickard
Charlie Lindgren
Casey DeSmith
Eric Comrie
Anton Forsberg
Pheonix Copley
Keith Kinkaid

Those are a lot of names that mean nothing.

Reactions: SupremeNachos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad