Richard Bachman
Calvin Pickard
Charlie Lindgren
Casey DeSmith
Eric Comrie
Anton Forsberg
Pheonix Copley
Keith Kinkaid
Failing to make a possible, incremental upgrade from one AHL level goalie to another before the halfway mark doesn't strike me as a fire-able offense for a GM that was hired in August, but YMMV.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Failing to make a possible, incremental upgrade from one AHL level goalie to another before the halfway mark doesn't strike me as a fire-able offense for a GM that was hired in August, but YMMV.
You're right, sticking with the guaranteed failure is a much better plan.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I didn't think I needed to point out that there's a gulf between "this is optimal" and "this warrants firing," but here we are.
The next actual point that you make in this discussion, will be your first.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't want to speak for him, but his point seems to be that not every little disagreement that you might have is a fireable offense. Not all that difficult to see if you can check the know-it-all attitude at the door.
More or less. There's valid criticism to be doled out in multiple directions regarding goaltending, but jumping from one hyperbolic argument to the next is a bad way to do it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
More or less. There's valid criticism to be doled out in multiple directions regarding goaltending, but jumping from one hyperbolic argument to the next is a bad way to do it.
This is all that you have done.

Here are the opinions that I have expressed on the matter-
-Stalock is not an NHL level goaltender
-Replacing Stalock at any point in the season would've been the easiest move a GM could make
- Keeping Stalock in the NHL if his coach was against doing so, would be idiotic
- Stalock has survived 2 seperate GM's in his time with the Wild
- Boudreau is likely arguing, to some degree, for keeping Stalock on the Wild roster

I would love to hear any opinions against any of those thoughts, instead of you taking a part of something I said and then going in a totally different direction just to try to form even a semblance of a point.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
This is all that you have done.

Here are the opinions that I have expressed on the matter-
-Stalock is not an NHL level goaltender
-Replacing Stalock at any point in the season would've been the easiest move a GM could make
- Keeping Stalock in the NHL if his coach was against doing so, would be idiotic
- Stalock has survived 2 seperate GM's in his time with the Wild
- Boudreau is likely arguing, to some degree, for keeping Stalock on the Wild roster

I would love to hear any opinions against any of those thoughts, instead of you taking a part of something I said and then going in a totally different direction just to try to form even a semblance of a point.
I responded to your second point with a post that you dismissed as "a lot of words that mean absolutely nothing" and have taken little to no issue with the rest of your points as presented here. But you didn't present them that way. Instead you opted to insist that Guerin should be fired for not replacing Stalock if he was ultimately responsible (which of course, he is). I said that I think that took things too far which, again, got a snide remark.

I've responded to your points as you've chosen to present them, and the fact that you seem to think that that's unfair or disingenuous of me is richly ironic.

Reactions: Northerner

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I responded to your second point with a post that you dismissed as "a lot of words that mean absolutely nothing" and have taken little to no issue with the rest of your points as presented here. But you didn't present them that way. Instead you opted to insist that Guerin should be fired for not replacing Stalock if he was ultimately responsible (which of course, he is). I said that I think that took things too far which, again, got a snide remark.

I've responded to your points as you've chosen to present them, and the fact that you seem to think that that's unfair or disingenuous of me is richly ironic.
That didn't happen.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
I look at what the Twins did, replacing an old-school guy who favored the vets in Molitor with a guy that knew how to communicate with and get the best out of younger players in Baldelli.

Different sports, different people, different personalities to be sure, but I wouldn't mind a similar transformation in St. Paul. Guerin might be stage I, like Falvine was for the Twins. Out with the old ways, in with the new.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I look at what the Twins did, replacing an old-school guy who favored the vets in Molitor with a guy that knew how to communicate with and get the best out of younger players in Baldelli.

Different sports, different people, different personalities to be sure, but I wouldn't mind a similar transformation in St. Paul. Guerin might be stage I, like Falvine was for the Twins. Out with the old ways, in with the new.
We just went from a younger guy who favored the vets, which people complained about. How do you know the next won't do the same anyway?

At the same time, those vets have been playing pretty damn well... why should someone play ahead of them if they haven't earned it?

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
We just went from a younger guy who favored the vets, which people complained about. How do you know the next won't do the same anyway?

At the same time, those vets have been playing pretty damn well... why should someone play ahead of them if they haven't earned it?

Yeah, the analogy is strained. Still, Bruce is somewhat more punitive on younger guys for mistakes than I would like. There are other ways.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

While I don't think Boudreau is any worse than your average NHL coach when it comes to handling young players (and in some respects is probably better), I wouldn't be disappointed to shake free from some of his habits. I'm not a fan of the idea that it's the whole team's responsibility to get particular vets "going," while it's on younger players to to figure things out or face scratches. To Bruce's credit that approach has more or less worked this year, but I think we're crossing the boundary of its usefulness.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i think BB will be a good coach for kaprizov ; also whose better? sometimes you have to hold the players accountable for not getting it done.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
John Torchetti has won as many playoff games as Bruce Boudreau

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
that just goes back to parise getting overplayed for playing poorly, how is that being held accountable?
Everyone on the roster playing the same position was also playing poorly. They didn't have the history of playing well in the league that Zach does, plus Zach was still playing better than they were defensively.

I get wanting poorly playing players to get less ice time, but nobody was playing well enough themselves to "deserve" it anymore than him at the time either.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Everyone on the roster playing the same position was also playing poorly. They didn't have the history of playing well in the league that Zach does, plus Zach was still playing better than they were defensively.

I get wanting poorly playing players to get less ice time, but nobody was playing well enough themselves to "deserve" it anymore than him at the time either.
but was he held accountable? could those minutes have been evened out a bit more?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
but was he held accountable? could those minutes have been evened out a bit more?
As I said, he was playing better defensively. Hard to even it out when the guys behind are a liability at both ends of the ice, he was only struggling at one end of the ice.

We weren't scoring, limiting goals against gets amplified in that situation.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
As I said, he was playing better defensively. Hard to even it out when the guys behind are a liability at both ends of the ice, he was only struggling at one end of the ice.

We weren't scoring, limiting goals against gets amplified in that situation.
No he wasn't

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
He wasn't "great" defensively, but he was better than Donato was by far. Greenway looked lost earlier in the year until the GEEK line started figuring things out.

Zucker was already on the Staal line.
does BB bench vets or does he let them play it out, I really don't recall seeing a vet benched for poor play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad