Should the Wild extend Bruce Boudreau?

Extend BB

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think overall he’s a good coach, but his dying loyalty to some of the players who he owes nothing to is beyond annoying. I would move on after this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like him, and think he strikes a nice balance between being a player's coach, yet still demanding performance. We still have a lot of hocky left to play, but i think he should get at least a 2-3 year extension, unless the team totally disintegrates this spring.

Reactions: a79krgm

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'd absolutely extend him.

Look how bad things can be... remember Yeo? I don't see a better coach being available. There aren't all that many better than Bruce in the first place imo.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Look how bad things can be... remember Yeo? I don't see a better coach being available. There aren't all that many better than Bruce in the first place imo.
Boudreau - 5 playoff series won in 13 years
Yeo - 4 playoff series won in 8 years

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

you mean the guy who actually won a couple playoff series here

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
50/50

On the one hand I think coaches tend to have shelf-lives and Boudreau is probably getting close to his. He may wear on players more gradually than most other coaches, though.

On the other hand I doubt we'd replace him with someone better. Anyone tired of Boudreau's lines and deployments are going to have similar complaints about the new guy. There isn't a coach in the league that does things "correctly" according to fan expectations.

We can ding him for his playoff record, but at least with Minnesota I wouldn't really lay that at his feet. Maybe the Blues series, but that was mostly Allen.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Boudreau - 5 playoff series won in 13 years
Yeo - 4 playoff series won in 8 years

you mean the guy who actually won a couple playoff series here
Yeo, the guy who takes a team that should be in contention for division wins, and limps into the playoffs, or loses the team completely. Proved it both here and in St. Louis. Look what happened with the Blues after he was let go.

As for Bruce, it only takes 1 post season for the narrative to change. Coach Q was talked about exactly the same as Boudreau when it came to the post season... then suddenly things changed with the Blackhawks.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Yeo, the guy who takes a team that should be in contention for division wins, and limps into the playoffs, or loses the team completely. Proved it both here and in St. Louis. Look what happened with the Blues after he was let go.

As for Bruce, it only takes 1 post season for the narrative to change. Coach Q was talked about exactly the same as Boudreau when it came to the post season... then suddenly things changed with the Blackhawks.

Really?? Because Jordan Binnington had nothing to do with the turn around right? Berubes record wasnt great either until Binnington arrived

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Really?? Because Jordan Binnington had nothing to do with the turn around right? Berubes record wasnt great either until Binnington arrived
Of course the goalie change made an impact, but you're fooling yourself if you think the coaching change doesn't also have an impact.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Yeo took a bottom 10 Minnesota team to the playoffs and series wins.
Boudreau took a Presidents trophy Capitals team to first round losses.
Take a lap

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeo took a bottom 10 Minnesota team to the playoffs and series wins.
Boudreau took a Presidents trophy Capitals team to first round losses.
Take a lap
Nobody would look at that Caps team in hindsight and say they were the best team in their conference. He got them to overachieve in the regular season. They had serious defense issues.

Losing to cup winners happens in the playoffs.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The idea that this team has overachieved for the last four years due to Boudreau is mind boggling.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Nobody would look at that Caps team in hindsight and say they were the best team in their conference. He got them to overachieve in the regular season. They had serious defense issues.

Losing to cup winners happens in the playoffs.
You're really trying to make the argument that Yeo was given better teams to work with than Yeo? Seriously? C'mon bud.

I have no problem with the opinion that Boudreau is a better coach than Yeo, but to act like the difference between the two is a huge gap, is laughable. The opinion that Boudreau has done a better job in Minnesota, is just flat out wrong though.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You're really trying to make the argument that Yeo was given better teams to work with than Yeo? Seriously? C'mon bud.

I have no problem with the opinion that Boudreau is a better coach than Yeo, but to act like the difference between the two is a huge gap, is laughable. The opinion that Boudreau has done a better job in Minnesota, is just flat out wrong though.
Regular season results do matter.

Who you face in the playoffs also matter.

Reactions: Northerner

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You're making it worse
In your opinion. Guess what, different people have different opinions. I've seen you're opinion, you've seen mine, we're obviously not going to agree as we don't see eye to eye on the subject, no big deal.

We can agree to disagree.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Boudreau has won 2 playoff games in three years here. Missed entirely one year.
Pretty sure if Yeo had brought us to that result we would have wanted him fired months ago.
But because Boudreau has a history of coaching teams with a ton of talent he's held up as one of the elite coaches.
Washington and Anaheim both won their divisions the year after Boudreau left.
In 2 years, with a better roster than Yeo had, Boudreau has won 2 games in the playoffs.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
In your opinion. Guess what, different people have different opinions. I've seen you're opinion, you've seen mine, we're obviously not going to agree as we don't see eye to eye on the subject, no big deal.

We can agree to disagree.
we can agree that you're wrong

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The only reason regular season matters is because it sets up the post season. Literally could not care less if a coach wins the presidents trophy 10 years in a row if he doesn't get past the second round of the playoffs. Regular season means f*** all then.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
What I don’t understand is this: it seems as though the consensus of this board is that the Wild lack high end talent, are old, have terrible goaltending, and should be tanking (tanking=trying to lose?), because they have no chance.
Yet, they have the best record in the NHL over the last six weeks (approximately) and are in playoff contention.
And they need to replace the coach? This is not a logical thought process.
How is it possible for a different coach to do better than the best record over the last six weeks? What could a new coach do better?
I really don’t understand the thinking here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->