Should the NHL allow fans for cup clinching games?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Honestly yes. Despite the growing numbers, I think the NHL is missing an opportunity here. It would require some logistical planning but it's doable. You limit it to just a few thousand people and the qualifier is that it's only available to families. Target those families so they could bring their kids to the games. Charge like $15 and provide them with a boxed meal like they do at the pre-season intra squad scrimmages and the money goes to charity. Mandatory masks except like under two or something. Easy to social distance between families.

Opportunity to what? Have families enter a bubble to watch a hockey game in an enclosed space that's been tightly controlled. There is no opportunity, the NHL has been tremendously successful in construction and protection of their bubble no players have accidentally left (that we know of) and no positives have been reported. That's a league that show's their players health is a priority to them.

that's lame. If I was a player, I would much rather have my family there supporting each game in the finals. Especially for the last game where the players have the chance to lift the cup in front of their most supportive fans.

Boohoo it's lame, millionaires can go party with their families south of the border if they win.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm going to be really blunt. I don't give two shiats what a bunch of privileged millionaires want. Public health is more important and we don't need to open ourselves to unnecessary risks. They can have their party when it's their turn with the cup, assuming that even happens this year.
While I agree with your post, the mandatory 14 day quaranteen will also guarantee that they miss out on the finals but I hope you kept the same energy for your fellow bc residents because they’re more of a threat in that region than any alien coming from the US. lol.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
While I agree with your post, the mandatory 14 day quaranteen will also guarantee that they miss out on the finals but I hope you kept the same energy for your fellow bc residents because they’re more of a threat in that region than any alien coming from the US. lol.

Why would I impose rules on other Canadians? Each province should follow their guidelines. Currently it's recommended that inter province travel is avoided between AB and BC. I don't believe it's banned outright but most people are stating within their own province.

Not to mention your assertion is wrong, US travelers are a larger threat. That's why they've been pretty much banned from leaving the US at this point.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Why would I impose rules on other Canadians? Each province should follow their guidelines. Currently it's recommended that inter province travel is avoided between AB and BC. I don't believe it's banned outright but most people are stating within their own province.

Not to mention you're assertion is wrong, US travelers are a larger threat. That's why they've been pretty much banned from leaving the US at this point.
Reports of notes left on cars, vandalism and other stuff while BC residents are partying on beaches. I would say an Albertan is more at risk from that + covid than an american. That should go without saying that the US government has handled this poorly and the closed border is the right decision. That being said, they’re clearly focused on getting this season done and hopefully fans can safely come to games next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I say “NO” and this is why.

if somebody gets infected, you may have just put next season in jeopardy b/c there will be enough evidence to indicate the arenas are not safe. This league desperately needs fans in the seats. I would not risk next season by providing any risk or evidence that fans in the seats are at risk.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
I'm curious to see what the NHL has planned for next season. There are quite a few teams who can't afford to operate with zero gate for a season ..

they're going to have to find some way to make things work or cancel next season completely.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm curious to see what the NHL has planned for next season. There are quite a few teams who can't afford to operate with zero gate for a season ..

they're going to have to find some way to make things work or cancel next season completely.
They’ll never cancel the season lol. Finding a way is the only option.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
this is a thread all about people who do not believe covid in serious

This is a thread about people realizing that of all the people who test POSITIVE for Covid 19 there is less than a 0.04% chance of dying

mdog

Mar 11, 2011
This is a thread about people realizing that of all the people who test POSITIVE for Covid 19 there is less than a 0.04% chance of dying
wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children.jpg

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
They won't but it could work to just have a limited number (say 100-200) of die-hard fans (spaced out of course) just to get a bit of that vibe.
Would hate to see the prices of those tickets if thats the case. If u dont make at least a million plus per year Im pretty sure you’ll be watching on TV

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
lol jesus christ how long do you want the lockdown to last?

STAY HOME AND WEAR YOUR DAMN MASK

Some people love working from home. The ones that don't care if the lockdown lasts another 2 years after comfortable and still payed. Its convenient for them to say shut everything down until we have zero cases.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Do you have a source for these numbers? Probably quickly accessible. Thanks in advance.

Also, nobody enjoys shit being locked down.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad