Should the Jets Extend Tanev now For $ 1.6 Mil for 3 years-Poll

Should the Jets Extend Tanev now for $ 1,6 mil per year over 3-4 years ??

• 1) no -I think he's making what hes worth right now- no salary increase.

• 2) wait til the season's over, and then make a decision, based on production.

• 3) Tanezv is overrated, and we can fill his spot with a cheaper entry level contact.

• 4) yes we should extend Tanev now for around $ 1,5 to $ 1.6 mil over 3-4 years.

• 5) The Jet's sould renew his contract at year's end, but no increase in salary.

• 6) Tanev is overrated, and we shoukld let him walk after this season - better guys out there.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Watch his goals. Mostly flukes. Let some other team overpay badly for Tanev. Offer 2 years, 2 million (1 mil aav) when he turns it down let him go. Can't overpay for depth guys who have unsustainable lucky streaks. For evidence look at Bickell or Kruger with Chicago.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sorensen just signed with the Sharks for 2 years @ $1.5M. Tanev is likely going to want more than that, and will get it from some team. I think it's going to take 1.75-2M per year to extend Tanev, and I doubt the Jets can afford that. They would be smarter to extend Copp, if they have to choose between them.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Sorensen just signed with the Sharks for 2 years @ $1.5M. Tanev is likely going to want more than that, and will get it from some team. I think it's going to take 1.75-2M per year to extend Tanev, and I doubt the Jets can afford that. They would be smarter to extend Copp, if they have to choose between them.

I would take Tanev over Copp "all day long.". Tanev is a lot faster than Copp, and has way better scoring hands. Tanev will get around 18 -20 goals this year, and Copp will likely get half of that. I don't mind Copp-- very hard working forward, but he has hands of stone, and cannot score. He as very limited value in my mind.

Tanev's recent scoring is no fluke, as he scored quite a lot for the Jets in the playoffs last year, and is continuing that on into this season. The guy is "very good."

I say--sign Tanev at around $ 1.6 to $ 1.8 mil, over 2-3 years now, while he's cheap, and the Jet's will benefit immensely.

Reactions: Teppo Numenor

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016

I would take Tanev over Copp "all day long.". Tanev is a lot faster than Copp, and has way better scoring hands. Tanev will get around 18 -20 goals this year, and Copp will likely get half of that. I don't mind Copp-- very hard working forward, but he has hands of stone, and cannot score. He as very limited value in my mind.

Tanev's recent scoring is no fluke, as he scored quite a lot for the Jets in the playoffs last year, and is continuing that on into this season. The guy is "very good."

I say--sign Tanev at around $ 1.6 to $ 1.8 mil, over 2-3 years now, while he's cheap, and the Jet's will benefit immensely.
I agree, he is very fast, will never be out worked, ever, and has shown he can score from the 3rd or fourth line. pomo had him out there in o.t. at this time tanev > copp and Frenchie ( aqua man )

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
This is the type of player and contract that the Jets need to be extremely careful with. Tanev is a fantastic soldier and is having a great year, but if the Jets overpay for this now, they'll regret it later. Tanev is what he is and will never be better than he is today, to pay him too much more than what he's making now will be a mistake. When Chicago was winning, they ended up giving too much money to guys like David Bolland and Bryan Bickell, Jets need to learn from that and if Tanev doesn't want to stay for $1.1-$1.4, then you gotta let him go. Every couple thousand dollars matters at this point. $1.6 isn't really that much more than $1.4, but you have to be very careful.
I’m with you. Good teams get into trouble over paying 3rd liners.
You see guys like Tanev all the time. They play on good teams and have a good playoff or good season on a contract year. Teams with cap space are offering them money like they are going to continue to play like they are in their best year or hope that if they get more offensive with opportunity on a weaker team they will be even better.

I’m ok with 1.6 for the amount of time he plays and how well he does with his role. But if Tanev wants to go and play for the Oilers or some other dumpster fire for 2 million or more he can go and the drop in talent to Lemieux wouldn’t be that bad.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Tanev has scored a bit more than Copp, but they are very close in point production rates. Copp plays a much more important defensive role and has been playing on the 4th line, so his lower offensive production is somewhat understandable. I still think Copp is the more valuable player overall.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
upload_2019-1-15_9-30-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-15_9-29-50.png
    upload_2019-1-15_9-29-50.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Tanev has scored a bit more than Copp, but they are very close in point production rates. Copp plays a much more important defensive role and has been playing on the 4th line, so his lower offensive production is somewhat understandable. I still think Copp is the more valuable player overall.
Tanev scores a lot more then copp not a bit more. The play on same line and they are all good defensively no one is more important of the wingers. Plus tanev is on the 1st pk unit.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Watch his goals. Mostly flukes. Let some other team overpay badly for Tanev. Offer 2 years, 2 million (1 mil aav) when he turns it down let him go. Can't overpay for depth guys who have unsustainable lucky streaks. For evidence look at Bickell or Kruger with Chicago.

That would be a pay-cut on what he's making this season, he will definitely see that as a slight. If that's what the offer is going to be then it's probably better to not make on offer at all and not burn that brigde for the future.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

And will be cheaper. Copp is younger and plays C so he is more valuable. I love Tanev but the Jets can not afford him unless he is willing to play for 1.75m or less. If he doesn't sign before he becomes a FA he can sign for 2.5+ with another team. With the Jets current cap situation they can not afford Tanev after this season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I really hope we don't lose Tanev this off season. I'm a little worried that with some of the contracts we will need to sign this off season we will lose our middle class tier of players and be considerable less competitive next season. We don't have the players sitting around that can step in and provide what guys like Tanev and Matty P provide.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
it just blows my mind that you think dano is good and can play in this league and that tanev isn't even worth what he is getting paid now. he will get paid around 2 million aav and that's a bargain.

Reactions: Deedog99

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
My dad who has been the biggest Jets critic for like the last 200 years it seems, has stopped complaining about them for the last two years . One of his fav players is Tanev and that's saying something . If the Jets don't resign Tanev he might slip back into that 198 year slump . Chevy if you are reading this , please don't do that to me .

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
My dad who has been the biggest Jets critic for like the last 200 years it seems, has stopped complaining about them for the last two years . One of his fav players is Tanev and that's saying something . If the Jets don't resign Tanev he might slip back into that 198 year slump . Chevy if you are reading this , please don't do that to me .

:biglaugh: Good stuff man. Good stuff.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I really hope we don't lose Tanev this off season. I'm a little worried that with some of the contracts we will need to sign this off season we will lose our middle class tier of players and be considerable less competitive next season. We don't have the players sitting around that can step in and provide what guys like Tanev and Matty P provide.

I really think it would be wise to "early extend" -Tanev right now, before he scores another 10 goals, and then he'll be able to get $ 2-2.5 mil per year. He will be an UFA after this season, and you can bet other GM's have their eyes on him.

At this point in time, he may not believe he can score another 10 goals, and if Chevy waived $ 1.8 mil at him over 2-3 years --I would bet he'd take that. He's only getting $ 1.1 mil right now.I don't think he'd have the belief or confidence in himself right now to turn down that kind of money.

It's hard to find guys like Tanev that give 100 % all the time when he's on the ice, and he inspires the rest of the team as well. Most Stanley Cup teams have a guy like Tanev who hustles all the time, hits guys, kills penalties and contributes on the scoreboard. He's also one of the fastest skaters on the Jets -- I say lock him up "early'--right now, before he gets to expensive. We'll need him in the playoffs.

In order to do this --Tanev should be extended within the next 3-4 weeks.-DO IT CHEVY

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd be VERY wary about giving Tanev term, he's already 27 and something tells me his game isn't going to age very well lol

I wouldn't worry about that -- as my old wise biology teacher used to say - a man does not reach his prime til 28 years old. Tanev is easily good for 3-4 more years(minimum). Boxers and fighters in the UFC go until their 36 and some even older. Tanev's age is "perfect" for a little term. ( 3-4 years)

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
At the price in the OP, this HAS to happen.

If he wants to get the money he has earned in UFA, through more physical pain than anyone on the team, it cant be here.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I'd be VERY wary about giving Tanev term, he's already 27 and something tells me his game isn't going to age very well lol

I doubt the Jets (or anyone) will offer 5+ years, and anything less is fine for a 27 year old

Reactions: GNP

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Lets wait and Hope jets sign the big guns first.

Lemiuex and appleton will be the better player.
He is a good foot soldier now, but he will get fetch by another team.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm bringing this thread back to mind, as Tanev is proving more and more to be an integral part of this Jet's team. He scored the game winning goal in Game 3 vs the Blues, and just barely missed another on that hit the tip of the Goalies glove and off the crossbar., in Game 4.

Tanev comes up big for us in the playoffs --both this year and last.

He has 14 goals this year , and does it all --kills penalties, throws big hits, and his motor is running at 100 % "all the time." He is a "key guy " to winning.

Teams like Montreal had Bob Gainey --who played flat out at 100 % -- The Cup winning Islanders had John Tonneli --same kind of guy.

You maybe can't put Tanev on these guy's level yet-- but he's just entering his prime, and is only making $ 1.1 mil per year --compared to Perrault who's making $ 4 mil per year, and to me there is just "no comparison" I say let Perrault go.

There were some doubters on Tanev--but he's proving himself --should we resign him ? and for how much ?? should we let Perrault go to facilitate this ??

I'd say he's worth in the $ 2.2 to $ 2.4 mil range,-what do U posters think??

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm bringing this thread back to mind, as Tanev is proving more and more to be an integral part of this Jet's team. He scored the game winning goal in Game 3 vs the Blues, and just barely missed another on that hit the tip of the Goalies glove and off the crossbar., in Game 4.

Tanev comes up big for us in the playoffs --both this year and last.

He has 14 goals this year , and does it all --kills penalties, throws big hits, and his motor is running at 100 % "all the time." He is a "key guy " to winning.

Teams like Montreal had Bob Gainey --who played flat out at 100 % -- The Cup winning Islanders had John Tonneli --same kind of guy.

You maybe can't put Tanev on these guy's level yet-- but he's just entering his prime, and is only making $ 1.1 mil per year --compared to Perrault who's making $ 4 mil per year, and to me there is just "no comparison" I say let Perrault go.

There were some doubters on Tanev--but he's proving himself --should we resign him ? and for how much ?? should we let Perrault go to facilitate this ??

I'd say he's worth in the $ 2.2 to $ 2.4 mil range,-what do U posters think??

I would imagine he gets 2.5 million plus which we can't afford if we keep Copp for a similiar amount. I think Appelton will be able to fill his role for much cheaper.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I would imagine he gets 2.5 million plus which we can't afford if we keep Copp for a similiar amount. I think Appelton will be able to fill his role for much cheaper.

I don't agree Surixon, but see your reasoning. I'd personally take Tanev over Copp, but their both good.

I think if Chevy is smart, like I think he is --"he'll sign both."

Let's not forget if Trouba doesn't resign, ( and appears he won't) --that leaves a lot of extra cash to get this done, as well as getting rid of Perrault, and maybe Kulikov.$$$

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I don't agree Surixon, but see your reasoning. I'd personally take Tanev over Copp, but their both good.

I think if Chevy is smart, like I think he is --"he'll sign both."

Let's not forget if Trouba doesn't resign, ( and appears he won't) --that leaves a lot of extra cash to get this done, as well as getting rid of Perrault, and maybe Kulikov.$$$

There isn't enough room to tie up significant cap space on our depth pieces. We also have more depth at RW. Copp is also more versatile in that he can play C and LW so it's an easy decision for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad