Should the Jets Extend Tanev now For $ 1.6 Mil for 3 years-Poll

Should the Jets Extend Tanev now for $ 1,6 mil per year over 3-4 years ??

• 1) no -I think he's making what hes worth right now- no salary increase.

• 2) wait til the season's over, and then make a decision, based on production.

• 3) Tanezv is overrated, and we can fill his spot with a cheaper entry level contact.

• 4) yes we should extend Tanev now for around $ 1,5 to $ 1.6 mil over 3-4 years.

• 5) The Jet's sould renew his contract at year's end, but no increase in salary.

• 6) Tanev is overrated, and we shoukld let him walk after this season - better guys out there.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think you can pick up guys like Tanev for bargain prices ( peanuts) How many players do you see, that put out his kind of effort ?? I see "very few"

Also the more term you offer Tanev--like 3 years, the better price you'll get him for. He's only just entering his prime, at 27 yrs old, and a lot of times he looks better, and does more on the ice than some of our star players.

We should not underrate Tanev, or take him lightly -- I say sign him, because he's the type of player you win with. Lemieux-is another we shouldn't have let go --these are playoff type players, that get into the dirty areas to "win". SIGN TANEV.

I think you are overstating your point a bit. I would absolutely try to sign him - but only to a point. At 2.5x2 he will likely more than earn his contract. I could maybe go for 3 years after a lot of arm twisting with his agent. I wouldn't go a day longer for his type of player. The same goes for the money. They might be able to persuade me to go slightly above 2.5 but at anything beyond 2.75 he is not a bargain anymore. I wouldn't go both max term (3 yrs) and max money (2.75). It would top out at either/or. If someone else offers more, so be it.

Reactions: GNP

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Watching Tanev really shows the contrast between his hard work and some of the other players.
He may not be the most talented player on the team but if everyone had his heart, we would be perennial Stanley Cup champions.
I would hate to lose him but he deserves every cent he will earn on his next contract. Hopefully it’s with us.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I love how people confuse skating fast with no purpose for hard work. Every player works hard, just not all have speed and run out of position like he does. John Zeiler for LAK was almost the exact same player, signing this guy for anything above 2mil or 2 years is a bad mistake.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
More important question is would he even sign here. After this years debacle he may just want to sign with another contender for a decent wage.

Reactions: Board Bard

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
I think Tanev will get 2.5 mil x 4. Seems realistic. He deserves a raise. Poor guy was only making 1.1 mil this year. :)

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I've posted in the Rumour's thread about Evolving Hockey's predictions for RFA and UFA's, but to bring some of the discussion here to an appropriately named thread:

rSx7Sjo.png

(stats are 5v5 from 2016-19 seasons)

I think someone already mentioned it but this screams Dale Weise to me. I don't think he signs for anything less that $2.5m nor 3 years.

EDIT: Ultimately where ever he signs I think he'll create a bidding war for increased price and term. I'll say $2.85m x 4 or 5 years? EDIT2: For the record, Dale Weiss was at 3.22% of the cap hit at the time. That would be equivalent to a ~$2.625m AAV at a $83m cap.

Last edited:

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I've posted in the Rumour's thread about Evolving Hockey's predictions for RFA and UFA's, but to bring some of the discussion here to an appropriately named thread:

rSx7Sjo.png

(stats are 5v5 from 2016-19 seasons)

I think someone already mentioned it but this screams Dale Weise to me. I don't think he signs for anything less that $2.5m nor 3 years.

EDIT: Ultimately where ever he signs I think he'll create a bidding war for increased price and term. I'll say $2.85m x 4 or 5 years? EDIT2: For the record, Dale Weiss was at 3.22% of the cap hit at the time. That would be equivalent to a ~$2.625m AAV today.

Ouch. Ya that is close to what I was thinking. He is as good as gone. Tough loss. But adding a guy like Appleton to that role as a replacement, is only likely a small downgrade for next year. Still sucks

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
No way 1.6 is the best offer he gets.
Say goodbye to Tanev...
Unless the Jets over pay for what that spot can afford and in that case say good bye to a skilled forward.

Maurice treats the Lowry line like a 2nd line so I wouldn't be completely shocked to see the Jets hamstring themselves by over paying for him.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his play a lot but the cost to sign him means saying goodbye to someone else.

Reactions: irunthepeg

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I don’t think there’s any doubt that the Jets would re-sign him at that price. I just don’t know that Tanev would agree to that price... he led the league in hits (I think?) and had approx 30 pts in bottom 6 role, great defensively.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
A few teams would offer Tanev 4/ $ 2mil. And he has earned it.

I would definitely make this deal if I were Chevy -- but I think Tanev will likely get offers of $ 2.5 to $ 2.8 mil range -- so you have to draw the line somewhere --maybe at $ 2.5 mil. I think it be a good deal for the Jets.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Let someone else overpay for him. The Jets will need as many entry level contracts as they can get next year.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Let someone else overpay for him. The Jets will need as many entry level contracts as they can get next year.

My take as well. I would max out at an offer to him of 2 to 2.5 at the absolute most depending on length. 3 years, definitely no more then 4. And if it was 4 that salary better be in the 2-2.2 range. There will be desperate teams that offer him 2.5-2.8 though for 3-4 years. At that point it sucks, but you can replace him with Appleton for that role. Same thing I would keep Myers if we deal Trouba, but if Myers waits until he gets other offers, some desperate teams will offer him something like 5.5-6 a year for 5-6 years. Where I think the most we could pay Myers would be 5-5.5 for 3-4 years. Even then we would need to rid of 1 or both of Kuli and Perreault

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
We pay Ehlers how much to do what in the playoffs but we don't want to pay Tanev half of Ehlers salary cause he's not worth it . What
The Ehlers deal doesn't look great at the moment, but I'm convinced he'll come back strong. This is still a guy who put up consecutive 60+ point seasons and drives his lines when healthy. I'm much more concerned about some other long term deals, Buff, Helly, Wheeler

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Tanev is a player that plays with heart / emotion and only so much skill....... Any team over extending on $ and term will be sorry in a few years. (Helm Abdelkader in Detroit) looks ok when U sign it/slight overpay and then looks bad later.

As Eddie Murphy says....

"These are the best damm crackers I ever had.... I got to get me sum more of that.... I cannot live without"
2 years later........ "These are just some ordinary darn crackers.... what the hell was I thinking"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad