Should the Jets Extend Tanev now For $ 1.6 Mil for 3 years-Poll

Should the Jets Extend Tanev now for $ 1,6 mil per year over 3-4 years ??

• 1) no -I think he's making what hes worth right now- no salary increase.

• 2) wait til the season's over, and then make a decision, based on production.

• 3) Tanezv is overrated, and we can fill his spot with a cheaper entry level contact.

• 4) yes we should extend Tanev now for around $ 1,5 to $ 1.6 mil over 3-4 years.

• 5) The Jet's sould renew his contract at year's end, but no increase in salary.

• 6) Tanev is overrated, and we shoukld let him walk after this season - better guys out there.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Someone is gonna offer him 3.5M over 3 years on the open market. I hope we don't pay that cause it means we're losing one of Connor or Laine long term.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Someone is gonna offer him 3.5M over 3 years on the open market. I hope we don't pay that cause it means we're losing one of Connor or Laine long term.

I don't know if he'll be offered that mutch ?? but I can see $ 2.5 to 2.8 --maybe. That's why I wanted the Jets to extend him 2 months ago for about $ 1.6 mil.

Who knows what he'll get offered ??

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm bringing this thread back to mind, as Tanev is proving more and more to be an integral part of this Jet's team. He scored the game winning goal in Game 3 vs the Blues, and just barely missed another on that hit the tip of the Goalies glove and off the crossbar., in Game 4.

Tanev comes up big for us in the playoffs --both this year and last.

He has 14 goals this year , and does it all --kills penalties, throws big hits, and his motor is running at 100 % "all the time." He is a "key guy " to winning.

Teams like Montreal had Bob Gainey --who played flat out at 100 % -- The Cup winning Islanders had John Tonneli --same kind of guy.

You maybe can't put Tanev on these guy's level yet-- but he's just entering his prime, and is only making $ 1.1 mil per year --compared to Perrault who's making $ 4 mil per year, and to me there is just "no comparison" I say let Perrault go.

There were some doubters on Tanev--but he's proving himself --should we resign him ? and for how much ?? should we let Perrault go to facilitate this ??

I'd say he's worth in the $ 2.2 to $ 2.4 mil range,-what do U posters think??

I think we move Perreault because he is getting squeezed out in more ways than one. I still insist he should have been moved at last draft. And I'm not even particularly mad at him for the penalties. :laugh:

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't agree Surixon, but see your reasoning. I'd personally take Tanev over Copp, but their both good.

I think if Chevy is smart, like I think he is --"he'll sign both."

Let's not forget if Trouba doesn't resign, ( and appears he won't) --that leaves a lot of extra cash to get this done, as well as getting rid of Perrault, and maybe Kulikov Myers. $$$

Fixed it. No need to thank me. :laugh:

I keep both. Losing Copp isn't anywhere on the radar.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This isn't a knee-jerk reaction to recent events, but right now we have 4.125M for Perreault who is basically a depth piece. I would much rather have Tanev at 2.5 or less than Perreault. Not only does it save cap space, but when healthy Perreault is a 4th line winger behind our checking 3rd line and top 6 wingers Connor, Ehlers, Laine and Wheeler, none who are leaving any time soon.

I just disagree that the choice would be between Tanev and Copp. We can have both

^ Nail on the head. These middle players are worth more than they cost. Connor will cost 3x what Tanev will but he won't score 3x as many goals. Connor would have needed 42 this year for that. If adjusted for 5v5 TOI the gap is even wider.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg

I don't know if he'll be offered that mutch ?? but I can see $ 2.5 to 2.8 --maybe. That's why I wanted the Jets to extend him 2 months ago for about $ 1.6 mil.

Who knows what he'll get offered ??
His camp would have been crazy to sign a sub 2 mil deal 2 months ago....that ship sailed last year....

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
^ Nail on the head. These middle players are worth more than they cost. Connor will cost 3x what Tanev will but he won't score 3x as many goals. Connor would have needed 42 this year for that. If adjusted for 5v5 TOI the gap is even wider.

Connor could very well score three times as many goals as Tanev does on a regular basis.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Connor could very well score three times as many goals as Tanev does on a regular basis.
Yup but Tanev's value is not measrued in just goals he is a top notch PKer best shot blocker and top hitter and #1 energy guy . Very valuable stuff .

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP and LowLefty

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This year that would have been 42 goals. KC had 34. I will be surprised if he doesn't hit 40 at some point and Tanev may or may not ever score 14 again but now adjust it for 5v5 TOI and it would be more like Connor needing to score 4 or 5 times as many. Then add a further adjustment for linemates.

Good
middle players like him and Copp are bargains. Their contribution per $ is higher than the high paid stars, IMO. So they are the ones you keep to manage your cap, not the ones you move. You move the ones just a little above them but below your stars. That means players like Perreault and Little.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We are going to have to deal Perrault this summer as well. It's all well and good to say deal Trouba but we are going to need that space for a replacement dmen. No way can we do no to next year down all of Myers, Kuli and Jacob and expect to actually compete.

Keep Kuli. For only one more year it doesn't make sense to move him. He is still our 2nd best LHD at this point.

Where are we going to find that 6 mil D man that we will need the cap space for?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just hope we don’t have to give up a good player to dump Perreault’s salary (see last year when we gave Armia away to dump Mason’s salary). I think Perreault is good enough that a team should be willing to take him on for one year left at $4.125 million (unlike the Mason situation), but who knows...

Perreault has 2 years left. I think he will be tradeable but the return will be less than it would have been a year ago. His salary is not out of sight and he is a versatile player with good underlying numbers.

Reactions: GNP and KingBogo

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No.
On what planet is Tanev priority over Laine, Connor, Trouba and Copp? Surely not one inhabited by creatures that use logic.

Tanev is a different kind of priority. :laugh:
Chevy needs to sign according to a plan that accommodates all the important pieces. Just hope they all agree with his thinking on the subject. :laugh:

I think the first priority is easily Trouba. Get him signed or get him traded so you know what you are dealing with.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's a fresh 27 with only 195 games under his belt. He starts to grasp the NHL game 6 months ago and you think he's peaked? Hell, he might be 3 or 4 years from peak

A lot of things might happen but at 27 Tanev is probably at his peak. Players of his level don't usually have long careers, especially ones who bang and crash like he does. I'd offer him 2 years, 3 tops. Anyone who offers him more than 3 is nuts. They can have him at 4 years. IMHO.

Reactions: Duke749 and Spock

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think he gets offered that much. I wouldn't match it. But he should jump at it. Good luck in your future endeavours Brandon.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Teams don't lose star players deciding to pay a 3rd liner 3.5. Every team will have a few middle class players between their stars and the bottom of the roster and ELC guys. Tanev may or may not be one of them but he won't impact what we do with the top guys.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
A lot of things might happen but at 27 Tanev is probably at his peak. Players of his level don't usually have long careers, especially ones who bang and crash like he does. I'd offer him 2 years, 3 tops. Anyone who offers him more than 3 is nuts. They can have him at 4 years. IMHO.
I think of him like Perrault in some ways who seems physically done at 575 games, or perhaps you look at the late NCAA model like Wheeler who has only lost a step now at age 32 and 860 games(edit- this surprised me. Remarkable). In any case I can see him continuing to be a driver for 3 seasons, plus 2 years of goodwill for a 5 year commitment.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
This year that would have been 42 goals. KC had 34. I will be surprised if he doesn't hit 40 at some point and Tanev may or may not ever score 14 again but now adjust it for 5v5 TOI and it would be more like Connor needing to score 4 or 5 times as many. Then add a further adjustment for linemates.

Good
middle players like him and Copp are bargains. Their contribution per $ is higher than the high paid stars, IMO. So they are the ones you keep to manage your cap, not the ones you move. You move the ones just a little above them but below your stars. That means players like Perreault and Little.

Woulda coulda shoulda. This might be Tanev's career year. I doubt it's Connor's. Guys like Tanev are only bargains if you get them at bargain prices.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think of him like Perrault in some ways who seems physically done at 575 games, or perhaps you look at the late NCAA model like Wheeler who has only lost a step now at age 32 and 860 games(edit- this surprised me. Remarkable). In any case I can see him continuing to be a driver for 3 seasons, plus 2 years of goodwill for a 5 year commitment.

Age and number of games should probably both be considered. But also playing style. Tanev's style of hitting at every opportunity he gets is going to reduce the length of his career.

I believe that Perreault's similar Tasmanian Devil style of play was both what made him so effective and also led to his frequent injuries. I think he has backed off a little to avoid injury and that is why he is a little less effective. JMO.

A key part of this is that the players talent level affects his career length, or the age where their careers end. Lesser players don't need to lose much before they can no longer 'win' their jobs over up and coming young players. I don't see Tanev as the kind of player you commit term too. He is pretty good right now, so you pay accordingly, but only for a couple of years at a time.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Woulda coulda shoulda. This might be Tanev's career year. I doubt it's Connor's. Guys like Tanev are only bargains if you get them at bargain prices.

I think guys like Tanev are usually obtained at bargain prices. I think that is the normal standard for them.

This very well might be his peak year. That's why you only offer him 2 years. If some team comes along in FA and offers him 4 years, you let him go with thanks for his contribution.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think guys like Tanev are usually obtained at bargain prices. I think that is the normal standard for them.

This very well might be his peak year. That's why you only offer him 2 years. If some team comes along in FA and offers him 4 years, you let him go with thanks for his contribution.

I don't think you can pick up guys like Tanev for bargain prices ( peanuts) How many players do you see, that put out his kind of effort ?? I see "very few"

Also the more term you offer Tanev--like 3 years, the better price you'll get him for. He's only just entering his prime, at 27 yrs old, and a lot of times he looks better, and does more on the ice than some of our star players.

We should not underrate Tanev, or take him lightly -- I say sign him, because he's the type of player you win with. Lemieux-is another we shouldn't have let go --these are playoff type players, that get into the dirty areas to "win". SIGN TANEV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad