Should the Jets Extend Tanev now For $ 1.6 Mil for 3 years-Poll

Should the Jets Extend Tanev now for $ 1,6 mil per year over 3-4 years ??

• 1) no -I think he's making what hes worth right now- no salary increase.

• 2) wait til the season's over, and then make a decision, based on production.

• 3) Tanezv is overrated, and we can fill his spot with a cheaper entry level contact.

• 4) yes we should extend Tanev now for around $ 1,5 to $ 1.6 mil over 3-4 years.

• 5) The Jet's sould renew his contract at year's end, but no increase in salary.

• 6) Tanev is overrated, and we shoukld let him walk after this season - better guys out there.

Results are only viewable after voting.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I know that Tanev has been one of the favorite whipping boys along with Myers on these boards, however I think the guy is a tireless worker, and an inspiration to the team. He never stops hustling, creates turnovers in the offensive zone, and also hits guys all over the ice. He's also very fast, one of the best skaters on the Jets, and is great on the penalty kill. He is somewhat of a fearless player, and blocks a lot of shots.

Right now Tanev is making $ 1,1 mil, and his contract is up at the end of this season. Tanev has 7 Goals, and 6 assists as I write this, so he already has 13 points in around 31 games. Lowry on the other hand is making around $ 3 mil per year, and he has 5 goals and 5 assists, so he trails Tanev in the point production area.

Every championship team usually has a guy like Tanev, who's an agitator, continually delivers hard body checks, and his motor is turned on high all the time. I think this guy is great for the Jet's and he should be extended right now, before he get's to expensive. If we wait, I'm sure we'll lose him to another team. he's an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season, and if we sign him now we'll get him at a good price.

Right now Tanev is on pace for about 16 goals and 14 assists, so that would be a 30 point season. Really a very good point contribution from a 3 rd line player, who also comes up big in the playoffs.

I'd really like to hear from other posters, as to what they think of Brandon Tanev, and his value to the Jets ?? I say sign him now to a 3 year contract in the $ 1,5 to $ 1,6 range. What do you posters think ?? You can give your feedback in the poll as well.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
No. We have bigger fish to fry first. Why would Tanev come before Laine and Connor?

He obviously wouldn't come before Laine and Connor, who would be signing for huge money. They are also on entry level contracts. Tanev's proposed raise here, is not a lot, compared to what these other guys would be signing for. Let's not forget here, Tanev is an "unrestricted free agent"--and he's been playing well, and I'm sure has caught the eye of many GM's of other hockey clubs. I just wouldn't want to lose him, as I view him as a significant contributor to the Jet's success right now.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
No.

If this team was not willing to dish out money for Trouba and Morrissey this year, they had better not be willing to pay Tanev.

Where is this coming from?

I know that LeBrun has mentioned in passing that the Jets were looking for a bridge for Morrissey, but who reported that Trouba was willing to sign long term?

Reactions: Jets4Life and GNP

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

He obviously wouldn't come before Laine and Connor, who would be signing for huge money. They are also on entry level contracts. Tanev's proposed raise here, is not a lot, compared to what these other guys would be signing for. Let's not forget here, Tanev is an "unrestricted free agent"--and he's been playing well, and I'm sure has caught the eye of many GM's of other hockey clubs. I just wouldn't want to lose him, as I view him as a significant contributor to the Jet's success right now.

Your post says should the Jets extend Tanev now. Laine and Connor have not signed so it implies that Tanev would be signed before those two. That changes the cap situation (flexibility) going into negotiations with those two, and Trouba for that matter.

Reactions: one other person

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Your post says should the Jets extend Tanev now. Laine and Connor have not signed so it implies that Tanev would be signed before those two. That changes the cap situation (flexibility) going into negotiations with those two, and Trouba for that matter.

Not really Spock -- we're already paying Tanev $ 1.1 mil right now, so increasing his pay $ 400,000 -- to $ 1.5 mil, doesn't really affect other multi million dollar contracts. We're just talking around $ 400,000 increase, to lock the guy up for 3 years or so. I think it be a very wise move for the Jets.

We'll worry about the "big guys" when their up to bat.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Where is this coming from?

I know that LeBrun has mentioned in passing that the Jets were looking for a bridge for Morrissey, but who reported that Trouba was willing to sign long term?
Overpayment was a viable option there. The blue line is not healthy.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
This is the type of player and contract that the Jets need to be extremely careful with. Tanev is a fantastic soldier and is having a great year, but if the Jets overpay for this now, they'll regret it later. Tanev is what he is and will never be better than he is today, to pay him too much more than what he's making now will be a mistake. When Chicago was winning, they ended up giving too much money to guys like David Bolland and Bryan Bickell, Jets need to learn from that and if Tanev doesn't want to stay for $1.1-$1.4, then you gotta let him go. Every couple thousand dollars matters at this point. $1.6 isn't really that much more than $1.4, but you have to be very careful.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

Not really Spock -- we're already paying Tanev $ 1.1 mil right now, so increasing his pay $ 400,000 -- to $ 1.5 mil, doesn't really affect other multi million dollar contracts. We're just talking around $ 400,000 increase, to lock the guy up for 3 years or so. I think it be a very wise move for the Jets.

Every dollar counts. My vote is to address Tanev after we know how Laine, Connor, and Trouba's contracts play out because flexibility when attempting to lock up the elite core of this team may end up more valuable than it's complimentary peices. You can't go back and ask for a few 100k back from Tanev once he signs.
Also: We don't know than Tanev will be content with a 400K raise for the prime years of his career.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Love this kid. He's been great, this year. He's on pace for 32-35 points while handling the other team's best. Solid on PK and works his ass off.

If a guy like that isn't extended, that'd be a disappointment.

He's not a silver bullet, but I'd have space for a guy like him on my team.

Ibanezrokr

Mar 22, 2018
Agreed. Hes been putting in the effort, getting some results and is absolutely an asset to the team. If he can be safely locked up for a reasonable term without being a cap detriment for the other needed signings then by all means.

Reactions: GNP

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Assuming Tanev were willing to sign for three+ years at a mere $400k per season increase, I would definitely sign him now. He could get more than that on the open market for sure given his level of play and especially if he plays clutch in the playoffs again.

It's a very modest raise that only negligibly impacts the signing of other players mentioned in this thread. As such I don't see why the Jets need to wait to sign him. Good deal is a good deal regardless of where Laine is locked up or not.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
No. We have bigger fish to fry first. Why would Tanev come before Laine and Connor?

Actually most often Chevy has shown a penchant for signing from the bottom up, at least this is the case during the off-season.

That trend should indicate Tanev is signed before Laine & Connor should Chevy not make any signings throughout this season.

If we're referring to mid season extensions, my focus would be on Connor at the present time.

Laine's is likely to be a fortune whenever it happens.

Get Connor signed before he guarantees himself a Nylander type deal.

Last edited:

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
He's a solid addition to the roster. I hope that he doesn't price himself out and stays in Jets, somehow I get the feeling that he won't be given as much responsibility in other teams.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Voted #4. $1.5M over 3 years is safe.

He was totally lost in his first season but slowly cleaned up his game. He's now very effective and worth keeping. His career trajectory to date reminds me of what Alex Burrows did. Let's see where he ends up!

Reactions: GNP and DuckyChuck

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

if the option's to let Tanev walk and bring Vesalainen over, then you have to stop and think about it for a bit

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
if the option's to let Tanev walk and bring Vesalainen over, then you have to stop and think about it for a bit

Yes, but Vesa is coming over next season regardless. It's just if you want to gift him a spot on the Jets or play him in the AHL at first to make him earn it/call him up as an injury replacement. Vesa's caphit and Bonus money will be $1,775,000 if he's in the NHL next year. Given the proposed $1.5 deal it's actually giving you more room to sign the big contracts going with Tanev then Vesa. 3 years at that rate would be great and we would probably then lose him in the expansion draft.

I'm not sure that Tanev actually signs that deal. Miles Wood got 4 by $2.75. If he would sign at $1.5 we should too. We can always trade a proven NHL winger with a small contract like that if need be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad