News Article: Should the Blackhawks drop the emblamatic Indianhead due to the times we are living in?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I've seen some things in the past. I think THIS kinda style would fit. View attachment 378989

I have no clue who made or where this came from, seems like some tshirt company that sells other products not their own.

Sure this one that I think even some minors team uses now would satisfy most people. I know some First People leaders have said they are okay with this vs not the current one.
View attachment 378991

But there still are some that are at that level of wanting no headdress and warpaint components.

I found this, another unknown origin and that concept would I think be awesome and have no objections.
View attachment 378992

if there is a need to change logos the Headdress would likely have to be eliminated...

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Imagine rooting for a team because of their logo. Maybe I’m too old to remember what it’s like to be 6 years old

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I am willing to sell my likeness to the franchise. They can use a cartoon rendering of the side of my face, as well as my name.

The "Chicago Shafts". Rebrand complete, you're welcome.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Just out of curiosity is there pressure on the Atlanta Braves or Kansas City Chiefs to change their name?

Also I agree, not a big fan of the bird logos. They look amateurish or minor league. I would have to see a better redesign. In fact a lot of the animal logos in the NHL look dumb to me including the Panthers, the Shark and that Penguin thing with a hockey stick. Actually, the only one I really like is the Canucks and they're not even named after an animal.

But still hoping this will blow over and the Hawks keep their logo. The thing with the Indians is the name was problematic and they were stuck for logo designs outside of the Cleveland C.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Just out of curiosity is there pressure on the Atlanta Braves or Kansas City Chiefs to change their name?

Also I agree, not a big fan of the bird logos. They look amateurish or minor league. I would have to see a better redesign. In fact a lot of the animal logos in the NHL look dumb to me including the Panthers, the Shark and that Penguin thing with a hockey stick. Actually, the only one I really like is the Canucks and they're not even named after an animal.

But still hoping this will blow over and the Hawks keep their logo. The thing with the Indians is the name was problematic and they were stuck for logo designs outside of the Cleveland C.
There is some pressure to on those teams, but maybe not as much because neither has an Indianhead logo.

I agree about the bird logos so far. I'm not insanely high on any of them, but I don't mind the logo of any of the NHL teams you mentioned, so it probably wouldn't take much more to appease me. To each their own, though.

And I've said this a few times now, but there is a chance things blow over. Right now things are hot because of what Cleveland just did. Give it a year or two and people might move on seeing as how the worst aggressors (teams) have backed down and changed. We'll find out.

Reactions: HallOfGreatness4

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I must say, it does seem like it’s a matter of time before they’re forced to change the logo.... and that it’s going to be the result of people not doing their research on the logo and name of the team to fully understand it. Instead they’re just going to assume it’s offensive while putting in no effort to understand it and then throw a hissy fit about it.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So if they change the logo, what'll be the perception if I wear my "old" Hawks gear out in public? Is it going to be a racist or insensitive action? Is it going to be perceived as me making a political statement?

Sep 19, 2008
This constant complaining about the Hawks head "appropriating culture" is ridiculous. The Hawks give to many NA organizations and tribute them plenty. Plus I don't like the Hawks alternate which are those tomahawks or whatever crossing the C. KEEP THE HEAD!

Reactions: FMichael
Sep 19, 2008
Just watch, they’ll eventually stomp out all of the team names with any relation to Native Americans.

Then they’ll turn around and say there isn’t enough representation for Native Americans in sports. You’ll never win with the people who want to pull this crap.
These names aren't insults to NAs. The REDACTED and Indians were. Brave is not. Chief is not Black Hawk is not.

We name plenty of things after NA's. Military helicopters. Canadian towns. American states.

No disrespect is intended and none should be taken.

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
In my dreams, the day it happens the Blackhawks captain speaks out against human rights violations in China so we can all be witness to the hypocrisy that would ensue.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I must say, it does seem like it’s a matter of time before they’re forced to change the logo.... and that it’s going to be the result of people not doing their research on the logo and name of the team to fully understand it. Instead they’re just going to assume it’s offensive while putting in no effort to understand it and then throw a hissy fit about it.

The thing that bothers me is that the people who want the logo/name changed cite studies that seem to conflate all the logos/names as if they're all equal. Objectively, the Redskins is a racial slur and the Indians logo/mascot was outright offensive. I can certainly see how those teams would have a negative impact on Native American people/kids.

With the Blackhawks, there's nothing offensive about it. If you don't like it, you don't like it purely because it features a Native American. But what exactly is wrong with that? You hear the "noble savage" argument but does anyone actually think about that with the Blackhawks? I don't. I just think it's a beautiful, respectful logo.

If you can't have any Native American references or imagery, then should we allow names like "Cowboys", "Vikings", "Canucks" that reference types/groups of people?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
So if they change the logo, what'll be the perception if I wear my "old" Hawks gear out in public? Is it going to be a racist or insensitive action? Is it going to be perceived as me making a political statement?
People over the age of 35 aren't likely to care, or they'll give you the 'thumbs up'...The under 35 crowd will probably call you a 'boomer', and tell you that you're a horrible person.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Nobody will care.

The goal is not to punish people for loving something or erase the past, the goal is just to move forward.

Everybody knows what the sweater looked like when Hull, Mikita, Chelios, Roenick, Toews and Kane played. Nobody is looking for revisionist history. Nobody is looking for historical footage to be blurred out, nobody is looking for jerseys to be banned from games.

You are allowed to cherish history while also accepting that times change, so long as you do it respectfully.

This is not a confederate flag situation, nobody is openly celebrating the oppression of anybody by wearing older Blackhawks jerseys.

Much as I've despised the name for over a decade, I'm not going to chew a Washington Football team fan for wearing the previous name/jersey with the name of a player who wore that jersey. Pretending the past doesn't exist isn't helping anybody... the point is not to forget that anything bad happened, the point is to remember the thing, all the good and bad tied up in it, and remember why the change was made, how context and society changed and grew. How we learned to care about more than just ourselves.

You're allowed to celebrate the past within the context of the past... it's the people that cling to the past, that are resistant to change, who are side-eyed and looked down on as time passes.

You want to wear an Indianhead jersey with Toews name on it? Go for it. Just don't stand in the way of changing the logo for the future, and don't get the name of a post logo-change player on an old-school jersey, which would be a jersey foul at best, and thumbing your nose at progress at worst.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad