News Article: Should the Blackhawks drop the emblamatic Indianhead due to the times we are living in?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

There's no benefit for an oppressed people to ensuring the evidence of oppression is erased.

Likewise, it serves people who feel disrespected no benefit to erase all history of the disrespect. All that does is increase the chances people will forget.

If anybody, from any group or culture, fights for the erasure of factual history, then that should be combated.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
There's no benefit for an oppressed people to ensuring the evidence of oppression is erased.

Likewise, it serves people who feel disrespected no benefit to erase all history of the disrespect. All that does is increase the chances people will forget.

Logic is not part of their rubric. Emotions and drama rule the day.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
How is that double speak?

Not sure. I listened to Bernstein and Laz on the radio like 20 mins ago. Both are in the camp that changing away from a “cartoon caricature of a decapitated Native American head” is the easiest way to accomplish what Stan talked about. Seems Bernstein thinks without doing that, all the other stuff is b.s., and the Hawks aren’t changing in order to keep “angry white people” happy.

Otto31

Nov 24, 2013
Time to get used and move on. If we just keep the name I will be happy, it would be a victory.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That’s paraphrased, but those were the descriptors used, yes.

Also, Laz says the logo will eventually change once advertisers decide they don’t want to be associated with it.

Is this Laz just stirring the pot?

What is Bernstein like again? I don't listen the score.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Is this Laz just stirring the pot?

What is Bernstein like again? I don't listen the score.

From a reporting standpoint, I don’t think Laz asking Bowman about it is stirring the pot. I don’t think the question is going away anytime soon.

From the commentary perspective, I think Bernstein was much more aggressive in calling what Bowman said b.s., and making it clear he thinks that anything short of changing the logo isn’t enough — Laz was a bit more diplomatic but didn’t counter Bernstein.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Jay Z also thinks it. He on his latest podcast put it at like maybe something in the 5-7 years at max surviving but I do not know how to judge that.

In terms of placates, I like this announcement more than the last one. The one element that bugged me in that and what I do not like about some defenses of the logo is claiming it is depicting Black Hawk. It's not. The logo is simply a generic design that seemed to alter over time starting with McClaullin's wife and updated to look positive and cool. But it never appeared to ever actually represent him or anyone other than a generic Native depiction. It makes it harder for them to have, for say the type of direct agreement with the Seminoles FSU does where they had a Seminole leadership approve a altered logo design.

They could do that with Sauk people but I do not know if that will fly. It still isn't really a depiction based on their designs or stylings.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I’m going to wear my jersey with a “decapitated Native’s head” and be proud, white social justice warriors be damned.
What about the Indigenous social justice warriors... I do not get how it's always just default to claiming it's white people speaking out... Just ignoring more and more of the visual voice that they would want to have as people. I do get people need to amplify who they are talking about or listening to instead of just parroting a talking point sure. These complaints have existed for decades. It's louder because of the indigenous activists have made their reach louder.
https://www.ncai.org/proudtobe

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
SportsNet is picking up the story now. Again, this isn’t going to go away and will remain a storyline.

Blackhawks CEO says team is committed to upholding current name and brand

They’re just reporting the story. Sportsnet isn’t stirring the pot here so I don’t know where you get this “isn’t going away” line. It sounds like it is going away, actually. Hawks ownership, marketing, and PR are going to do there best to use this logo and name for something good and constructive.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
They’re just reporting the story. Sportsnet isn’t stirring the pot here so I don’t know where you get this “isn’t going away” line. It sounds like it is going away, actually. Hawks ownership, marketing, and PR are going to do there best to use this logo and name for something good and constructive.

Reporting the story isn’t ideal for the franchise. It’s getting more eyes and attention on it.

It doesn’t need to be a pot-stirring piece of commentary to be bad publicity.

Even being mentioned in the same breathe as the Cleveland Indians to a large audience is not ideal from a PR standpoint. Thats the stuff that scares corporate partners who worry about their own image.

The conversation around the Blackhawks logo is building (and really ramped up with Adidas trying to hide the logo), and now a large Canadian audience will also see the latest. That’s why I say it’s not going away.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Reporting the story isn’t ideal for the franchise. It’s getting more eyes and attention on it.

It doesn’t need to be a pot-stirring piece of commentary to be bad publicity.

Even being mentioned in the same breathe as the Cleveland Indians to a large audience is not ideal from a PR standpoint. Thats the stuff that scares corporate partners who worry about their own image. That’s why I say it’s not going away.

I think you’re blowing it out of proportion. It’s been a relevant story for a few months now so Hawks ownership coming out with a firm stance on not changing the name isn’t some PR tightrope. They’re letting people know how they’re going to handle it.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
What about the Indigenous social justice warriors... I do not get how it's always just default to claiming it's white people speaking out... Just ignoring more and more of the visual voice that they would want to have as people. I do get people need to amplify who they are talking about or listening to instead of just parroting a talking point sure. These complaints have existed for decades. It's louder because of the indigenous activists have made their reach louder.
https://www.ncai.org/proudtobe
How many indigenous people do you know? I live a smaller town in Northern Ontario where there is a large indigenous population. In fact, I work with some, and I also have indigenous friends. Not once have any of them, or anybody in the city really ever complained about a blackhawks logo.

So I guess it brings up a problem that isn’t easily fixable. If only a minority of a group complains, does something need to change? Like if a group doesn’t like hunting, do we ban hunting because of it?

Maybe there should be a study, to see how many indigenous people are proud of the blackhawks logo, so we can see the full picture of the issue.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The Hawks are getting more attention right now because of Cleveland's actions. If Cleveland changed their name a year or two ago, you wouldn't have reporters having to ask about the name/logo.

What I'm trying to say is that while there is a lot of heat on the organization right now, good chance there won't be in a couple months. I'm sure we'll see this again when Cleveland reveals their new name, but give it a few months after that and things should die down again, theoretically at least.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think you’re blowing it out of proportion. It’s been a relevant story for a few months now so Hawks ownership coming out with a firm stance on not changing the name isn’t some PR tightrope. They’re letting people know how they’re going to handle it.

I’m not blowing anything out of proportion. The stories, questions, and conversations are out there and picking up in frequency.

You now have two Chicago opinion people openly calling for a change. That’s not great and it has nothing to do with me.

This is coming about a month after Adidas tried to hide the logo in its national rollout of the reverse retro.

Also, I really don’t think Danny’s response to the question was great. Rather than clearly explaining why the Hawks logo is different, he made the “but look at all the other stuff we do” case. For non Hawks fans, that’s going to be written off as a nonsensical justification for sticking by the logo. He should’ve defended it by explaining the meaning and history, imo.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The Hawks are getting more attention right now because of Cleveland's actions. If Cleveland changed their name a year or two ago, you wouldn't have reporters having to ask about the name/logo.

What I'm trying to say is that while there is a lot of heat on the organization right now, good chance there won't be in a couple months. I'm sure we'll see this again when Cleveland reveals their new name, but give it a few months after that and things should die down again, theoretically at least.

This is true. Not going away doesn’t mean the temperature won’t go down a bit. But, like you said, it will get turned back up once the Cleveland logo/name is revealed.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad