News Article: Should the Blackhawks drop the emblamatic Indianhead due to the times we are living in?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Once upon a time I would have been strongly against changing the logo, and I'd have come up with any excuse or rationalization you could think of to defend it.

Now?

Meh.

It's a logo. It's a brand. Corporations are not people.

If it honestly upsets people, then change it.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
After reading that very long article, I don’t think many people are actually that upset. The Hawks could and should do more to raise awareness about Native history in the Midwest though. I feel that’s a fair asking price for a team to be worth almost a billion dollars while using native imagery for their brand.

Reactions: Geoist

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It is one thing to cleans from history symbols of slavery or oppression..butcamothervto dis-homourvtge memory and bravery ofcanIndianChief isedcasxa symbol forvtgat "hoid value" ...He is not a noble savage or a symbol of whites conquering Natives. Rather the symbol of "bravery" ...we mightcazxwelk can tge word brave which tge Indians themselves hold dear.

It boggles the mind that yes a White military brigade used the name of anI dian Chief as their symbol and the hickey team took it from that prior use "nickname" and symbol.

But still on a values basiscitbis night and day..It honours Indian heritage and history ..not anythibgblijeca "Cobfederate" taint .
Peopkecdl not think at all whe pulingvom to virtue signaling to please the current fashion or to please the mob mentality.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
After reading that very long article, I don’t think many people are actually that upset. The Hawks could and should do more to raise awareness about Native history in the Midwest though. I feel that’s a fair asking price for a team to be worth almost a billion dollars while using native imagery for their brand.
I haven’t read the article but that’s kind of what I thought. I also feel like the only people I’ve ever seen have any pushback on the logo are other white people. For the same reasons I don’t think it’s my place to decide if the logo is racist and should go... it’s not theirs either. Like Boquy said, if indigenous people are upset about it I would for sure be open to changing it even though I love the name and logo. I’ve just never actually heard that to be the case.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It's not my choice to make. If indigenous people find it offensive it's not my place to argue.
This is exactly how I feel. I'd love to hold onto the logo because I think it's a great design, but if it offends people and it has to go, so be it.

If it had to change I would like to keep these as the primary and secondary logos as long as they too are not considered to be offensive.
321691-chicago-blackhawks-nhl-hockey-37-748x468.jpg

9001072d4a4bbe8d104d8a9362599502.jpeg

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Against it, simply because it is spurred by recent ideological agendas and supports exclusivity of diverse cultures we should instead be celebrating.

Hockey has its roots in Native American culture from what I understand, we should support them in hockey further IMO as the Blackhawks are already doing on with youths and on the west and south side.

All I know is the answer is not to divide & separate from one another.

A tangent but relevant, people on reddit want to tear down the statue of Bobby Hull and denounce him from the organization. This is a ridiculous time we’re living in.

Reactions: Smart Alek

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I live in an area where there is a fairly large Native American population. And a lot of them wear Blackhawks gear. So I don’t get the feeling that they’re all that offended, if anything they’re proud.

Like others have said, if Native Americans are that upset about it, then do what you have to do. But if it’s a bunch of white people who have nothing better to do than make a fuss about literally anything, then piss off.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
I think I come down pretty much where the article is: you don't have to change the logo, but if you choose to keep it you have to accept the responsibility that comes along with it. Educate people about the history of indigenous peoples in the Midwest, amplify indigenous voices, support native causes, charities, and communities.

The logo is iconic and gorgeous, and I think something is lost without it (but I'm not indigenous, so whether or not they should keep it is ultimately not my call). But at the same time, given half a millennium's worth of repression and genocide against indigenous people on this continent, use that logo and that image with humility, reverence, and acceptance of the responsibility it carries.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It’s just a bunch of rich white people doing guilt yoga and changing all these things. If the indigenous people want it changed. I’m all for it. We should be focusing on changing things like healthcare and supporting education in poorer neighborhoods. Instead we focus on changing this shit. It’s annoying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad