News Article: Should the Blackhawks drop the emblamatic Indianhead due to the times we are living in?

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
7Y9yC2z

South Side neighborhoods color coded by race.
If that doesn't look like segregation to some of you, I can't help you any further.

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
There's absolutely significant racial segregation in Chicago. Just as there is in almost every major city in North America. Same thing here in Vancouver.

It's something of a feedback loop. There are laws and policies that disproportionately impact different racial groups, and then there's the reality that people of similar groups (ie, similar culture, similar background, similar economic status, etc) tend to naturally group together even without external factors.

Chicago is a diverse city from a very wide perspective, but on closer inspection, there is very clear active and passive segregation forces delineating different geographic groupings.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There's absolutely significant racial segregation in Chicago. Just as there is in almost every major city in North America. Same thing here in Vancouver.

It's something of a feedback loop. There are laws and policies that disproportionately impact different racial groups, and then there's the reality that people of similar groups (ie, similar culture, similar background, similar economic status, etc) tend to naturally group together even without external factors.

Chicago is a diverse city from a very wide perspective, but on closer inspection, there is very clear active and passive segregation forces delineating different geographic groupings.

No one was ever arguing that the city is not largely segregated by race... the argument was that most places in the city are generally more diverse(including individual small neighborhoods), or have more diversity within close proximity, in comparison to the NW suburbs, which is largely 80%+ white, and in most suburbs, even higher than that, up to 90%+ white in many. You can travel and see more diversity within the city in a short amount of time, and not be "out of place" just going a couple miles in any direction. Whereas you can travel in any direction in the NW suburbs for 30 or 40 minutes by car, and you'll still be out of place as a black man.

I'm not sure why anyone has even been focusing on racial segregation as something being discussed. It was never being discussed. I believe it was brought up by one person who never knows what he's arguing about... so I'm not shocked that the point is being missed...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
7Y9yC2z

South Side neighborhoods color coded by race.
If that doesn't look like segregation to some of you, I can't help you any further.

I would care if the segregation of races in Chicago is what was actually being discussed... but it's not. I'm not surprised that you're still trying to prove something that no one was arguing, though. Lol.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
WHOOSH!!! Completely over people's heads.

I mean, just look at the f***ing scale at the bottom of the map. You can drive, at most, 10 miles, before you're in a COMPLETELY different demographic. More often than not, just a couple miles in one direction or another...

Now look at the suburbs, where the neighborhoods are predominantly white for 30-40 miles, at times....

Oh, and here's the FULL map, without all of the white suburbs snipped off. lol

chicagodots_race_lines.png

radicalcartography

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Guys, I can't see the Hawks being able to keep their logo much longer. They're probably going to have to go the bird route.

I'm pretty sure it's corporate pressure, rather than public, behind this. Sponsors don't want to be associated with anything that might be considered offensive.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Guys, I can't see the Hawks being able to keep their logo much longer. They're probably going to have to go the bird route.

I'm pretty sure it's corporate pressure, rather than public, behind this. Sponsors don't want to be associated with anything that might be considered offensive.

They aren’t changing it. Nothing else more to it then that.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Bullshit walks. Treat the change the name people like that.

As Boqvy said, I think it’s becoming more about sponsorship/potential bad press concerns than any actual SJW campaign.

The stuff Adidas/NHL did with the reverse retro roll out has to be concerning for the business folks in the front office. That certainly wasn’t a good sign for what may be to come.

It’s a heck of a lot easier to tell a group of 10 people who never consumed a Hawks product to walk than it is to say the same to major corporate partners. Also, it was the Washington football team’s corporate partners that finally forced change there, not the people protesting.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
They'll cave when sponsors threaten to drop them. Money talks.
And how do you know sponsors will stop dropping the Hawks?

There are significant differences between the Blackhawks and the Indians or Redskins. Just because sponsors have pressured those organizations doesn't mean the Hawks will be.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

You get the difference between the Cleveland Indians and Chicago Blackhawks, right?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

There are significant differences between the Blackhawks and the Indians or Redskins. Just because sponsors have pressured those organizations doesn't mean the Hawks will be.

I’d 100% agree with you if it weren’t for the awkward reverse retro rollout. Adidas and the NHL tried to hide the logo, that’s weird.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Bullshit walks. Treat the change the name people like that.
Regardless of my belief on the subject, I don't believe any of these sports teams would change their name without pressure from sponsors.

Do I believe indigenous people should have a voice, but I do not think that they're the driving force behind the change. That may be cynical, but that's my belief.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

There is a difference. And there is also similarity and not thr major shift. I also do think its immediate pressure inducing but there is issues still that grow as more people take in what those smaller activist indigenous voices promote.

Its also significant the Washington Football team changed their logo. Yes it was tied to the slur and the Blackhawks logo isn't tied to a slur. But there lay the similarities, they are both drawing of a generic view of what a Native American leader/warrior is. And thats one of the specific grievances Indigenous people against their likeness in logos have. That it stereotypes them.

You can say it's different yet still, more voices of these types are being promoted and listened to. I think it'll still take more years, but not that many.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I’d 100% agree with you if it weren’t for the awkward reverse retro rollout. Adidas and the NHL tried to hide the logo, that’s weird.
It was a weird decision by Adidas, but likely one from a singular individual and not a company wide policy.

And Adidas isn't really a sponsor. They don't advertise for the Hawks and they are contractually obligated to keep producing merch.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
In case you guys didn't know, Dan Snyder was vehemently opposed to changing the Washington team name.......until his entire corporate sponsor slate threatened to drop him. Then he changed his mind.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
As Boqvy said, I think it’s becoming more about sponsorship/potential bad press concerns than any actual SJW campaign.

The stuff Adidas/NHL did with the reverse retro roll out has to be concerning for the business folks in the front office. That certainly wasn’t a good sign for what may be to come.

It’s a heck of a lot easier to tell a group of 10 people who never consumed a Hawks product to walk than it is to say the same to major corporate partners. Also, it was the Washington football team’s corporate partners that finally forced change there, not the people protesting.
Nailed it.
If Adidas is uncomfortable the logo is dead sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad